LiveDVD Hangs after Select Screen

Installer Issues via Installer -- Not for global upgrades or upgrading individual packages -- ONLY ISSUES WITH INSTALLATION OF THE OS -- Can't get Sabayon installed, than post here, otherwise use correct forums

Moderator: Moderators

LiveDVD Hangs after Select Screen

Postby benfeldman » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:28

I've been eagerly awaiting the release of 3.4, and yesterday I jumped on and endured the wait.

I checked the md5, and burned it to the DVD. I get to the screen with the Sabayon logo and all of the choices, where I simply select "Start SabayonLinux 3.4."

After that, the screen goes blank, my laptop makes a few noises for about 3-4 seconds -- the kind when its loading something -- and that's it. No nice music or anything.

I know its been suggested that I check the shortcuts, but I'm not quite sure which, if any, to use.

Here are a few my laptop's specs, in case you're interested:
Dell Inspiron 1501
AMD Turion 64x2
2GB of RAM
ATI Radeon Xpress 1150
BCM4311

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Ben
benfeldman
Baby Hen

Postby jahbeez » Wed Jul 25, 2007 18:36

I get the same exact thing on my (similar spec'd) laptop. I've tried removing the "quiet" option and tried safe mode but same thing. The weird thing is, when I hit the power button, a splash screen comes up with "initializing kernel" and a progress bar, but nothing happens. I just installed the same DVD on my desktop, so the disk is good. Bummer, so far looks like a helluva release, wish I could spread the joy to my laptop...................... :D
jahbeez
Baby Hen

Postby Sicundercover » Wed Jul 25, 2007 20:42

Same problem here, except im using a desktop.

Amd X2 5200, BFG 8800GTX, 8gig RAM Corsair XMS, Asus Crosshair Mobo. Also, I have a seperate Hardive that Im using just for the Linux install. Its a WDC 500Gig Sata and all my other Sata Hardrives are unplugged.

Also, the disk has been burned at 4x and it past the checksum.

I cant install, run from the disk, or install using the text installer.

Im gonna try extracting the ISO and just try a traditional master from inside windows Vista.
Sicundercover
Baby Hen

Postby phlo » Wed Jul 25, 2007 21:12

Same Problem with my Workstation.

Asus P5DH Delux intel core 2 dou 6600 4 gb ram Geforce 7600
Just the Boot menu, after that blank.
the loop 3 was working fine.
Frustrating :'-(
phlo
Growing Hen

Postby fxdwg » Wed Jul 25, 2007 21:27

Spent 26 hours downloading and seeding and Sabayon won't run ! Very disappointing! Seems I have the same problem as others.

Downloaded again, this time from mirror site, It works fine ! :lol:
Last edited by fxdwg on Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:16, edited 1 time in total.
fxdwg
Baby Hen

Postby benfeldman » Thu Jul 26, 2007 22:50

It's good (and bad) to see that I'm not the only one with this issue.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing the problem? Is it something we all share in common that's oblivious to us?

Thanks.
benfeldman
Baby Hen

Postby Sicundercover » Thu Jul 26, 2007 23:29

I had to disconnect all my hard drives containing anything windows and use just my HDD that I was planning a partition for Linux.

Also, Im using SATA so I could select what to boot from in the end when its all done.

Anyway I had to update my Bios ( which was only 4 months old thank god Asus released one last week) for my Asus Crosshair.

Most importantly, when I got the selection window I had to hit F5 and at the end of the boot line I had to add acpi=off to turn off acpi; this got it to go its a bit slow in the load at first but if you get the Logo with the load bar it should go from there.

This is if your getting the screen goes black after hitting install problem.

Hope this helps someone.
Sicundercover
Baby Hen

Postby Sergio1704 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 0:47

Sicundercover wrote:Most importantly, when I got the selection window I had to hit F5 and at the end of the boot line I had to add acpi=off to turn off acpi; this got it to go its a bit slow in the load at first but if you get the Logo with the load bar it should go from there.

I tried what you suggest, but this is what I get:

Kernel panic - not syncing - Attempted to kill the idle task!

I suppose that is what happens anyway. The difference is that now I can read it.
Sergio1704
Young Hen

Postby benfeldman » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:17

Sicundercover wrote:Most importantly, when I got the selection window I had to hit F5 and at the end of the boot line I had to add acpi=off to turn off acpi; this got it to go its a bit slow in the load at first but if you get the Logo with the load bar it should go from there.

Hope this helps someone.

Thank you! You've gotten me past, I guess, the first stage without any kernel panics or anything. In fact, the boot was pretty damn fast.

Turning off ACPI gets me all the way to the XGL option screen. Whether I enable or disable it, I get stuck back with the same blank hang screen I was prior to turning off ACPI.

What's my next move?

Thanks again! You have no clue how much I appreciate this... :oops:
benfeldman
Baby Hen

Postby obrith » Fri Jul 27, 2007 23:09

I have a *similar* issue.

I get the very first line as the DVD spins up - "ISO LINUX - DEBIAN ......... Loading..."

Then a blank screen.

My MD5 sum checks out, "rechecked" the torrent with microtorrent, verified my burn, tried re-burning my DL, am using a very high quality NEC burner and exceptional quality TY disks.

If it didnt take 9+ hours to download from my fastest mirror or torrents it wouldnt be so bad just try re-downloading.

Also, i'm using the 3.4a 64bit iso. Sabayon 3.3 works fine on this system (with the exception of not liking my 2x400GB SATA stripe, so it was installed on another disk).

As far as hardware, I have a Tyan MB, Dual Opterons 246's, 2GB of ram, a Sony LCD monitor, and an Nvidia 6600GT.

Very disappointing, i was hoping to write a review today.
obrith
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Installer Issues - Calamares **Not for Package Manager Stuff**