[Solved] Steam will not launch any games with proton

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

hydran
Baby Hen

[Solved] Steam will not launch any games with proton

Post by hydran » Thu Mar 26, 2020 21:13

I have nvidia drivers installed and working, and linux native games will run without issue, but when I try to launch any games with proton they will not run. I searched on how to create a log and this is what I get when I try running Doom ( 2016):

======================
Proton: 1584918606 proton-5.0-5b
SteamGameId: 379720
Command: ['/home/hydran/Raptor/Steam_Raptor/steamapps/common/DOOM/DOOMx64.exe']
Options: {'wined3d', 'forcelgadd'}
======================

This happens whether the game is on a separate partition or my home partition. I have tried both. It also happens regardless of what proton version I try to use. Please help?

hydran
Baby Hen

Re: Steam will not launch any games with proton

Post by hydran » Fri Mar 27, 2020 15:43

I made some headway with my issue if anyone can help me out. Once proton was installed I took a look at /tmp/dumps and looked at the stdout log. It indicated that the wine binary couldn't be found. I looked in the proton folder and none of the directories containing the wine binaries or other files had been created, but there was a proton_dist.tar file and it had all those directories inside. So it seems that they didn't extract on their own when steam downloaded and installed proton for some reason? I extracted the files but they didn't all extract. /dosdevices wasn't created. So I extracted that manually with ark. Did this for all versions of proton that I Installed. I then managed to get DOOM to run flawlessly. Once. Now I am back to nothing working and I don't know why. Stdout is saying wine can't find an .exe that definitely exists in the directory that it is looking in.

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Post by sabayonino » Fri Mar 27, 2020 15:52

If you need Wine :

Code: Select all

# equo i app-emulation/wine-staging

hydran
Baby Hen

Post by hydran » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:12

I got everything working. Proton hates ntfs partitions. Among other things. Where can I delete my old posts?

sabayonino
Sagely Hen

Post by sabayonino » Sat Mar 28, 2020 13:19

No need to delete your posts.