Apps replaced?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Apps replaced?

Post by msdobrescu » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:42

Hello,

A bunch of upgrade ago, an upgrade decided to remove systemd applet in KDE settings.
I understand the Sabayon maintainers did this because it was unmaintained.
But I didn't appreciate it, really.
At least, some message should have been posted somewhere about this.

Now, the deluge client seems to have been downgraded. Also unexpected, and not announced.
I've lost the queue too. Big mistake to upgrade and restart relying on the fact the system will be as stable and usable as always.

What am I missing? I start feeling I am using Windows again...

joost
Sagely Hen

Re: Apps replaced?

Post by joost » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:11

It is rare that packages have to be downgraded but in this case I had too. After a week working on the openssl upgrade I noticed that deluge 2.x would not start. Tried to fix it, couldn't find any open bugs about this so I decided to downgrade it in Entropy. We can't have a whole repository waiting for just 1 program that fails. I think it was a mistake to upgrade deluge to 2.x in the first place.

We can't publish messages about every package that changes in tree. But feel free to ask about it in the forums.
My blog | Mastodon | Please support Sabayon: Become a Patron

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Post by msdobrescu » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:06

Thanks, but there are not visible packages and packages that are of importance to users.
Also, packages used by few, like 500 users, and packages used by many, like 100 000+.
So, for the ones of high usage is good to have some place to check, or some code to run to find out.
Also, at upgrade time, as there are messages saying some packages are unmaintained or safe to drop, something should be added to notify us.
Some say the upgrade process is slow, so adding more code would be a possible problem, but is so good as I don't care for the speed so much.
Generally speaking, Sabayon is so well done as it is addictive, so please, keep it this way!

Indeed, deluge 2.x acts strange and the paths dialog has its issues.

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Mon Nov 11, 2019 15:53

joost wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:11
It is rare that packages have to be downgraded but in this case I had too. After a week working on the openssl upgrade I noticed that deluge 2.x would not start. Tried to fix it, couldn't find any open bugs about this so I decided to downgrade it in Entropy. We can't have a whole repository waiting for just 1 program that fails. I think it was a mistake to upgrade deluge to 2.x in the first place.

We can't publish messages about every package that changes in tree. But feel free to ask about it in the forums.
@joost, I assume that openssl upgrade went into place then, right?

I've noticed that as of last week the HipChat client I use (from a gentoo overlay) has stopped working due to not being able to find some SSL libraries. I'm going to assume this is related. While it's technically not a Sabayon supported app, the sudden loss of that app is not ideal for me. :/

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Post by msdobrescu » Mon Nov 11, 2019 17:20

Hi, wouldn't be expected that this HipChat app would build with the new ssl library, as long as both come from Gentoo?

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Mon Nov 11, 2019 17:41

I mean, it would be nice if it did, but that didn't happen. I've rebuilt it with no change in behavior.

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Post by msdobrescu » Mon Nov 11, 2019 17:51

How can be built successfully without the dependencies?

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Mon Nov 11, 2019 22:22

msdobrescu wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 17:51
How can be built successfully without the dependencies?
Because...they aren't build time dependencies, they are run time dependencies.

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:06

Code: Select all

Warning: [03:40:47][qt.network.ssl][:0] QSslSocket: cannot call unresolved function SSLv23_client_method
Warning: [03:40:47][qt.network.ssl][:0] QSslSocket: cannot call unresolved function SSL_library_init
Warning: [03:40:47][qt.network.ssl][:0] QSslSocket: cannot call unresolved function SSLv23_client_method
Warning: [03:40:47][qt.network.ssl][:0] QSslSocket: cannot call unresolved function SSL_library_init
[03:40:47][void AuthHelper::handleReplyFinished(QNetworkReply*):317] oAuth Token error:  QNetworkReply::NetworkError(UnknownNetworkError) :  "Error creating SSL context (error:140A90C4:SSL routines:func(169):reason(196))"
[03:40:47][void AuthHelper::handleReplyFinished(QNetworkReply*):361] throwing away the login data and going back to landing page
SSLv23_method(), SSLv23_server_method(), SSLv23_client_method()

These functions do not exist anymore, they have been renamed to TLS_method(), TLS_server_method() and TLS_client_method() respectively. Currently, the old function calls are renamed to the corresponding new ones by preprocessor macros, to ensure that existing code which uses the old function names still compiles. However, using the old function names is deprecated and new code should call the new functions instead.
https://www.openssl.org/docs/man1.1.1/m ... X_new.html

Unfortunately, I doubt the hipchat client will be seeing a new release. Oh well. That's the cost of using unsupported software.

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:30

I managed to fix it by sym linking libcrypto.so.1.0.0 and libssl.so.1.0.0 into the hipchat directories.

Code: Select all

# cd /opt/HipChat4/lib/
/opt/HipChat4/lib # ln -s /usr/lib64/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 /opt/HipChat4/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0
/opt/HipChat4/lib # ln -s /usr/lib64/libssl.so.1.0.0 /opt/HipChat4/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0 
/opt/HipChat4/lib # ln -s libcrypto.so.1.0.0 libcrypto.so
/opt/HipChat4/lib # ln -s libssl.so.1.0.0 libssl.so
and it's working again.