Is it ok to wipe hard drive before installing sabayon

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

phuong112
Baby Hen

Is it ok to wipe hard drive before installing sabayon

Post by phuong112 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:23

I want to install sabayon on a system with windows 10 removed. Should I wipe the hard drive and reformat
with gparted first.
As is when I try to install sabayon I go back to windows 10.

Thanks

VolvoBirkenstock
Advanced Hen

Re: Is it ok to wipe hard drive before installing sabayon

Post by VolvoBirkenstock » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:33

Hi, Phuong.

Is your Win10 system UEFI or BIOS? Are you installing from LiveDVD or USB?

I have systems that are UEFI and BIOS. If I install to the UEFI system with an ISO image burned to a USB stick using unetbootin, it installs Sabayon with the UEFI security, but that makes dual bootability a bit difficult. I have seen a Gentoo page where instructions are provided for dual-bootability with UEFI. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Sakaki%27s ... tall_Guide

I have installed dual-bootable systems on both UEFI- and BIOS-supported hardware. I install Windows first and then install Sabayon and obtain dual-bootable systems using grub. I do not see why wiping the hard drive would make any difference if you have no concern about saving the Windows data, since I think you should be able to repartition everything within the Sabayon installation process. (In other words, I believe the Sabayon installation process can effectively reformat/free any space if the partition(s) is(are) already suitable for Linux.)

Volvo