Problem with connecting to AirVPN

Issues Related to Networking (Wired and Wireless)

Moderator: Moderators

paulbraun
Baby Hen

Problem with connecting to AirVPN

Post by paulbraun » Mon Nov 04, 2019 0:12

I think I may have a problem with my connection, meaning the way Sabayon Linux connects and what my VPN thinks of it. Viewing websites and watching videos on Youtube are OK, though. I only installed Sabayon about 48 hours ago. I wanted to try a completely different distro, after a Windows 10 update deleted my Manjaro (Arch) and Mint partitions. I only used Windows occasionally, but more often recently because a friend persuaded me to write some music using Acid software by Magix. This has made me decide to stop using Windows altogether.

I‘ve been using AirVPN for some time now and my subscription has about two weeks left to run, so I‘m desperate to get this sorted out ASAP! AirVPN has special versions of its Eddie UI which work with OpenVPN for Debian, OpenSUSE, Fedora/Centos, Arch, portable tar.gz, and portable Mono. I had the Arch version running under Manjaro and the Debian version running under Mint, KDE Neon, and Elementary OS with no problems whatsoever.

I‘ve already made a post under the Beginners/Newbies Area, which you may not have seen. You can find this under viewtopic.php?t=35518#p184622

I‘ve tried every version of Eddie UI which is portable, not specifically designed for other systems, including a new Beta version, but they all give the same error messages. When I click on “Connect to a Recommended Server“ it never connects! The recommended servers are all in the Netherlands or Belgium. The error messages are “Restart in n seconds“, then “Checking authorisation“. Whenever I click on a server from the list of servers which isn‘t in the Netherlands or Belgium, I get “Limit of 5 connections per account reached. Restarting in n seconds“!

Perhaps there‘s a problem with the default way that Sabayon coinnects, which causes these error messages. I‘m afraid I have no way of knowing, because I‘m totally new to Sabayon. Can anyone help?

I‘m now planning to delete Sabayon in about 36 hours from now if I can‘t get my AirVPN working by then. After that, I‘d install another Arch based system.

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: Problem with connecting to AirVPN

Post by Stupot » Tue Nov 05, 2019 17:20

According to this:
https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/29435-e ... on-gentoo/

You should symlink /sbin/ip to /bin/ip and things should work.

paulbraun
Baby Hen

Post by paulbraun » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:19

Stupot wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 17:20
According to this:
https://airvpn.org/forums/topic/29435-e ... on-gentoo/

You should symlink /sbin/ip to /bin/ip and things should work.
I'm afraid I don't understand your post, or their solution in the topic you've linked to! Symlink isn't a shell command. I can't find any files called /sbin/ip or /bin/ip or any references to these things in any text files I can view. I've had enough!

Bye bye Sabayon!! Better a day late than never. :evil:

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Thu Nov 07, 2019 0:56

https://shapeshed.com/unix-ln/

as root:

Code: Select all

# ln -s /bin/ip /sbin/ip
Sorry you had troubles. It's impossible to gauge someone's proficiency via the forum.