converting gentoo to sabayon

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

vibo
Baby Hen

converting gentoo to sabayon

Post by vibo » Mon Jun 10, 2019 21:24

is there a way? how to?

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: converting gentoo to sabayon

Post by Stupot » Tue Jun 11, 2019 15:03

Truthfully, it's not worth the effort, even though it can be done. You're much better off saving off what you want to keep from a gentoo install and installing Sabayon fresh. I realize that isn't what you asked for, but you simply won't get much support attempting to do that, and you will almost certainly run into some issue that is unique to your machine.

vibo
Baby Hen

Post by vibo » Tue Jun 11, 2019 18:59

well.. problem is.. i need to be online most of the day.. and can't take risk to not be able to start my machine and be ready to work immediatly after i receive alert of some system error (i work as sysadmin) ..and don't want to spent my sleep time to os install and configuration ;)
so if noone knows how to resolve my question i see i will need to look into iso and reproduce installation based from install script.
sadly i don't have spare drive at the moment and have too much data to copy to other medium :/
i work in linux for 20+ years and love this system.. but specification of my work require fast response to accidents.. also if i need to install some new specific software to recover damaged system i can't wait till compilation completes ;) that's why i decided to compromise and move to sabayon ;)

btw. recently i managed to get equo to work. till now when i typed 'equo repo list' i received nothing from output ;) ..but finally i was able to spot that default repo was needed to be enabled by renaming the file in repos dir ;) now it looks like this will work ;) right now i am testing this in chrooted enviroment so i will probably write how-to to my own question later :P

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:10

That's awesome. Just keep in mind that entropy, while compatible with portage to an extent, expects all packages on the system to be compiled with the same flags that the entropy repository compiles them in. That's the only way to ensure binary compatibility. You might or might not run into problems if you don't recompile your whole system to match. All bets are off.