Extremely frustrated new user after updates

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

hydran
Baby Hen

Extremely frustrated new user after updates

Post by hydran » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:23

Ok so here is the thing. I *really* like Sabayon. I mean I really like it. It's awesome. I *want* to use it permanently. But I am having a really major issue whenever I update with rigo. I have an Nvidia 1080Ti. After I first install Sabayon from a live USB key everything works phenomenally well. Steam runs all my games thanks to wine and proton, other than a few Ubisoft titles with DRM I don't like anyway. Then I update and everything goes to crap. The seventh circle one might say. I reboot and get to a command line login screen. I haven't modified /etc/X11/xorg.conf at all. I checked and its the same as it was. Whats going on? Ill tell you whats going on. After updating (and re-installing nvidia drivers with equo install nvidia-drivers#$(uname -r) nvidia-userspace) just for the heck of it, nvidia drivers fail to load. I do lsmod and what do I see? Nouveau! I remove anything with nouveau in the name with equo. Reboot. Its still there. I blacklist it with an /etc/modprode.d/modprobe.conf file. Still loads. I can rmmod -f nouveau of course but then my monitor turns off, so that isn't very helpful. Why is nouveau even there!? It takes over everything and my Nvidia driver cant even load anymore *Every Single Time* I update. Someone please help! How to I update properly, especially to a new kernel, without nouveau taking over when I do?! Is this thing actually built into the kernel? That seems insane. Why would you do this if you know it conflicts? This prob sounds ranty. Im exasperated here. I've been fighting with this all day. Sorry about that. But I would really really appreciate some help here. Thank you.

hydran
Baby Hen

Re: Extremely frustrated new user after updates

Post by hydran » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:57

Nope. It actually is included in the kernel. I looked here: https://packages.sabayon.org/show/linux ... -show-what

Guess what's included?

/lib/modules/4.14.0-sabayon/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau
/lib/modules/4.14.0-sabayon/kernel/drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/nouveau.ko

Why? Why would you do this? Why would you build this in to conflict with the loadable nvidia driver?

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:33

We are moving to dracut initramfs and there were some problems getting modules blacklisted.
There is another topic open about that.

I guess you aren't using the weekly (stable) repository?
My blog | Twitter | Please support Sabayon: Image

hydran
Baby Hen

Post by hydran » Fri Sep 21, 2018 19:28

Maybe I am not. Honestly couldn't tell you! This is the first distro I have tried to use in 10 years. I installed off the KDE live installer. It said there were updates available so I updated. Then 3d stopped working and I posted all of that from the live installer since that was the only way I could get to a desktop. How would I switch to a weekly stable repository? Might seem like a silly question but this is the newbies area. I appreciate the link you provided. Ill read that shortly, and also thanks for your reply.

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Fri Sep 21, 2018 20:22

@joost we might want to check that sabayon-weekly is still the default upon installations. Not only was it not the default on one of my more recent installs, but sabayon-weekly configurations don't even exist in /etc/entropy/repositories.conf.d/ only sabayonlinux.org and sabayon-limbo.

joost
Sagely Hen

Post by joost » Fri Sep 21, 2018 23:05

@Stupot : I will check this.
My blog | Twitter | Please support Sabayon: Image