Static IP

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: Static IP

Post by Stupot » Mon Sep 10, 2018 15:00

Generally, whether you have a static IP or not to the rest of the world is up to your ISP, not you. Instead what most of us do is get a free domain and run a service that updates the domain so it always has the right ip. Then we just connect to that domain.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon Sep 10, 2018 15:28

As Stupot says, it's usually easier to get a Dynamic DNS hostname from a provider such as no-ip. You can chose a hostname such as sage12.ddns.net. That way, to use SSH from anywhere in the World you would type: 'ssh [email protected]' instead of having to type an IP address. You also need to configure your home router to tell it the hostname and which Dynamic DNS service you are using.

If you don't want to pay anything to the Dynamic DNS provider, they will send you an e-mail once a month and you click on a link to renew the hostname. If you are prepared to pay an annual subscription, they don't ask you to renew the hostname monthly.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:18

Moderator comment: I have deleted the first post, since it turned out that the OP was a proto spammer (he was copying and pasting old posts, including one of mine from 2009!). However, I have left the remainder of this thread up, as it contains information that future searchers may find useful.