Wayland problems

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Wayland problems

Post by msdobrescu » Sat Sep 01, 2018 13:53

Hello,

I have two machines, one laptop with nvidia+intel video card, one desktop with nvidia (Ti560 OC).
On the laptop, I choose Plasma + Wayland, it seems to work, except Rigo (so far), it has no title bar, it opens sticked to the top margin of the screen, and I can't do anything to move it, I can close it from the KDE Plasma bar.
On the desktop, I choose Plasma + Wayland, I only get a black screen. No input. No way to switch to a console. The log at ~/.local/share/sddm/ is as follows:

Code: Select all

startplasmacompositor: Starting up...
Activating service name='org.freedesktop.systemd1'
Activated service 'org.freedesktop.systemd1' failed: Process org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1
dbus-update-activation-environment: warning: error sending to systemd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1
No backend specified through command line argument, trying auto resolution
I get 'Process org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1' on the laptop too, so it might be other issue, actually.

If I run it like this, under Xorg, it works fine, I can successfully send a window to it:

Code: Select all

export $(dbus-launch)
kwin_wayland --xwayland
kwrite --platform wayland

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: Wayland problems

Post by Stupot » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:21

Are you using proprietary drivers? I'm pretty sure kwin_wayland doesn't work with nVidia proprietary drivers (there's a lot of politics as to why that you can google if you're curious).

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Post by msdobrescu » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:27

Yes, Nouveau does not perform right.
Shall I presume Wayland uses Intel on the laptop?
Anyway, the Rigo's behavior is weird as long as other apps have a proper window. And it is not the only one.
On my laptop, under Xorg, I start Rigo and login in KDE. I can't tell what KDE uses, Nvidia or Intel. It has serious paint issues in many aspects. Then, logout and login again and paint well, probably it uses the other video card than the first time. The first time, Rigo has constantly scrambled content at pixel level.
As a side question, how should I configure KDE for Optimus properly?

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Sun Sep 02, 2018 20:47

I can't say, I don't have Optimus. But I can say that KDE doesn't play nice with nVidia proprietary. But KDE shouldn't be deciding which graphics you're using, rather it simply uses what your system is configured to use. So logging out and logging back in wouldn't allow KDE to switch graphics stacks.
When you boot X11 KDE, do things work ok?

msdobrescu
Old Dear Hen

Post by msdobrescu » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:25

What graphics setup do you use?

I have always used Nvidia proprietary graphics drivers and card on my desktop along with KDE under Xorg and worked fine except for some vsync issues in VLC, but there seem to have Xorg flags for that. Why do you say KDE does not work with Nvidia proprietary drivers?
On the other hand, as described in the first post, Wayland works nested, trying it in Xorg and KDE, so I presume there is some initialization issue when not nested. But I can't tell what.

Stupot
Sagely Hen

Post by Stupot » Tue Sep 04, 2018 20:40

KDE Wayland doesn't work nicely with nvidia proprietary drivers. KDE X11 works fine.

https://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/ ... 7-edition/