HI, new to Sabayon

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :-)

Moderator: Moderators

johnlgalt
Baby Hen

HI, new to Sabayon

Post by johnlgalt » Wed Aug 01, 2018 19:48

tl;dr: 3 successful installs of latest, 2 on laptops, 1 on desktop, all with LUKS over LVM (Desktop with multiple LUKS containers, on 2 separate SSDs).

Hi, all,

Just wanted to drop a line that, after having putzed around with Gentoo for the last couple of months, trying to get it installed successfully on 3 machines:
  • Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E545 (AMD A6 5350 w/ RadeonHD (crippled) integrated graphics & 8 GiB RAM)
  • Dell Inspiron 3521 (Intel Celeron 1007U w/ i915 integrated graphics and 4 GiB RAM)
  • my aging desktop home-built DT:
    • Intel Core i7 965 EE
    • eVGA X58 Classified 3
    • 12 GiB triple-channel DDR3 RAM
    • SanDisk Ultra II 960 GB SSD (main)
    • Crucial MX500 256 GB SSD (home)
    • 2 * Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 7200.12 HDs
I used the Anaconda's auto-partitioning feature for both laptops, but designed my own scheme for my DT:
  1. GPT
  2. biosboot=2M
  3. /boot 500M (kind of future proofing for move to (u)EFI based machine soon
  4. LUKS over LVM on remaining 89x GiB of main SSD - 50G /, 200G /var, and 4G swap all inside (remaining ~600 GB inside LVM for use down the road)
  5. LUKS over LVM on entire 256GB SSD - all space dedicated to /home inside.
It wasn't too much of a hassle to create this partition scheme, and and Anaconda didn't complain once.

Only issues I'm having are with sound, everything else seems to work, through install, post-install, reboot and first full update/upgrade cycle on all 3 machines.

Thank you for this distro!
I am I

~ John Galt

johnlgalt
Baby Hen

Re: HI, new to Sabayon

Post by johnlgalt » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:50

Well, I decided that since it was a fresh install I'd do it over again - this time, I decided to keep /home in the larger SSD, and isolate /var into its own LUKS container containing its own dedicated LV, sized at 100 GiB, all of which is placed on the 256 GB SSD, leaving me room there to grow as needed as well.

I think this will work out better.

Since I am using dual SSDs on SATA `III' connections (slightly crippled at ~5.4 GiB/s, as the chipset is an addon Marvell SE thrown in to give the SATA III ports, whereas the rest of the TA II ports are controlled by the ICH10R chipset), is there any real need for me to use a couple of GiB of RAM for a /tmp mount? I realize that it would be beneficial to avoid a lot of writes to the SSD, but that puppy will probably be replaced soon anyway....and currently /tmp is in / on the main (read: larger) SSD, which is far newer than the smaller one.

My concern is that throwing 2, or even 4 GiB at /tmp when I only have 12 GB may be using more of my RAM than I really want to - but, then again, I suppose I could mount it temporarily, such as when performing system updates and / or installing heaps of software / very large packages that I opt to compile versus using a binpkg, right?
I am I

~ John Galt