Plasma 5.12.4: All apps suddenly on one screen

Compiz, KDE, Gnome, Fluxbox, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Plasma 5.12.4: All apps suddenly on one screen

Post by linuxfluesterer » Tue Apr 24, 2018 14:05

Hallo guys.
I'm using Sabayon 18.04 with Plasma 5.12.4 and Kernel 4.15.17. A fresh install from last 10 days. Today I made an experience which happened to me with earlier versions of Plasma before.

I have a Dell monitor with 3440x1440 pixels, connected with HDMI 1.4 cable. I have six virtual screens, each one for different topics. What happened to me, I don't know the reason, is, that all the opened applications like firefox, kate, Vivaldi, System Settings, Dolphin and mpv player, and sometimes more, which all are on dedicated virtual screens before, were suddenly 'collected' onto one screen only. All applications are overlapping each other on this one surface. I still have my base control bar and a separate upper bar on top of screen.

But I can no more change to any application in the background nor to any virtual screen. All headlines of already opened applications are gone. I can still work in (some) applications in the foreground like typing or closing. But when I click a menu entry from menu line, the menu quickly appears and closes again by itself.

As I said, this behavior is known to me, but I have no idea, no solution to fix it. Honestly I don't really know how to describe this behavior for a search in Google.

Any idea? Thank you in advance.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE...)
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...

albfneto
Sagely Hen

Re: Plasma 5.12.4: All apps suddenly on one screen

Post by albfneto » Tue Apr 24, 2018 19:05

If i understood, you have six virtual "Areas" ( the default, regular is 4), is this? all the opened aplications are in the same screen, example in "area" 1...

is this?
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Re: Plasma 5.12.4: All apps suddenly on one screen

Post by linuxfluesterer » Wed Apr 25, 2018 15:16

albfneto wrote:If i understood, you have six virtual "Areas" ( the default, regular is 4), is this? all the opened aplications are in the same screen, example in "area" 1...

is this?
Correct. I have six virtual screens, each one serves a topic,
-infos and setting
- two browser windows side by side
-tv (kaffeine) and movies (mpv), by choice
-four dolphins two on top, two on bottom
-korganizer, full screen
-two konsoles (one for root, one for user)...

Exactly, it works nicely, when no 'crash'.
But in case of crash, all applications, dedicated to a separated virtual window, everything is 'stapled', impossible to change to a chosen application.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE...)
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...