Looking for a new laptop.

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

merelyjim
Baby Hen

Looking for a new laptop.

Post by merelyjim » Thu Jul 18, 2013 22:51

Hey, *
My current Toshiba laptop is getting a bit long in the tooth, so it's time to start looking for a replacement.
Any suggestions? I know I'm not going to find one without UEFI, but one that could be easily disabled would be nice.
I've owned Acer and Toshiba in the past, and they've given years of good service, but.. Has anyone bought a machine in the recent past and thought, "man, this thing was made with Linux in mind."
I know there are shops out there that only make Linux machines (System76 for example), but they tend to be higher than I can easily afford.
Thanks for your input, in advance.

Superdonk
Baby Hen

Re: Looking for a new laptop.

Post by Superdonk » Thu Jul 18, 2013 23:22

I obviously don't know what country you are in or what your requirements are.

I live in the Uk where it is possible to buy laptops with no OS installed. I use this site, their stock changes regularly and you are to some extent taking 'pot-luck'. See below for todays examples, which tend to be decent value.

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?a05471=No+ ... tem&cat=10

merelyjim
Baby Hen

Post by merelyjim » Fri Jul 19, 2013 0:54

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm in Texas, USA.

I don't need a lot, but it'd be nice to have something that won't grind to a halt when using something CPU intensive like Handbrake. As I'll use it as a desktop replacement, the farthest I'll be taking it is around the house, so a larger screen-size would be best.

Almost everything here comes with Windows8 pre-installed. Dual-booting isn't something I really want, but I'm kind of stuck because of work using stuff from the Microsoft-verse.

Lemuriano
Young Hen

Post by Lemuriano » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:40

Sabayon x64 Xfce main
Intel core i5 M-520
linux-sabayon 3.15.0

linuxfluesterer
Old Dear Hen

Post by linuxfluesterer » Sat May 05, 2018 21:42

A spammer wrote:hii,
my suggestion is, you go for a new laptop now a days DELL,lenovo,hp are good capacity to work.
I cannot really recommend Lenovo. They've changed their attitude to Linux to the original Thinkpad series. E.g. Wlan doesn't work sometimes and it seems not easy to handle BIOS for Linux usage.

Dell might be ok, I've personally made good experiences with Acer and MSI also, especially with Sabayon.
And, btw, UEFI is no problem with Sabayon and a UEFI only BIOS. I've always disabled Secure Boot.

So, then it's easy to install a Sabayon of latest dates.

-Linuxfluesterer (I love KDE...)

Moderator edit: I deleted the post preceding this one, as it was from a spammer.
Take away Facebook from me and let there be real people again...

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Sun May 06, 2018 5:03

Personally, I would avoid any laptop that uses NVIDIA Optimus hardware, which is commonly used in laptops. I have a Clevo laptop (W230SS, which I believe is no longer available) that has NVIDIA Optimus hardware and, although it is possible to use Linux with it, NVIDIA Optimus is more fiddly to get working in Linux in my experience. Not to mention that NVIDIA is closed-source and not very helpful to the open-source community, hence Linus Torvalds famous message to NVIDIA: Linus Torvalds Gives Nvidia the Finger. Literally.

I have also had trouble with the open-source nouveau driver on a nettop using NVIDIA hardware. Basically, the performance of the nouveau driver was sluggish.

AMD seems to be more friendly to the open-source community (the open-source drivers xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-amdgpu), although it seems more difficult to find laptops that are not using Intel or NVIDIA these days, albeit I have not researched laptops recently.

And of course Intel releases open-source drivers for its IGPs and GPUs and is probably the best supporter of Linux. There have also been a few problems with the Intel drivers in the past, but, generally, I have found Intel graphics hardware to work fine in Linux. The Intel driver works fine on the aforementioned Clevo W230SS laptop (I switch between the Intel open-source driver and the NVIDIA closed-source driver) and on my family's Acer desktop running Lubuntu.

svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Post by svantoviit » Mon May 07, 2018 13:39

linuxfluesterer wrote:I cannot really recommend Lenovo.
According Laptopmag is Lenovo No 1 laptop brand this year again. I can only recommend the T series. Never experienced any Linux incompatibility issues. And if they are any, they are usually well documented by the community. The T series are quite expensive, but you can buy refurbished models at good prices.

Recently I've had bad experience with HP and Dell, even with business models. A pleasant surprise has been Acer being durable and reliable.

svantoviit
Old Dear Hen

Post by svantoviit » Mon May 07, 2018 13:44

merelyjim wrote:Almost everything here comes with Windows8 pre-installed. Dual-booting isn't something I really want, but I'm kind of stuck because of work using stuff from the Microsoft-verse.
Why not go for some more RAM and run Windows as a virtual machine in VirtualBox or Qemu?

gentmixer
Simple Hen

Post by gentmixer » Sun May 13, 2018 23:51

I have Lenovo Y700-17ISK laptop (nearly 2 years old now) with Nvidia/Intel Optimus archtecture... and have absolutely no issues. "Bbs" switch works perfectly in Sabayon. Yes, there were some difficulties installing Windows and Sabayon together... I bought a second SSD (and SATA miniature cable) and installed Sabayon separately into this from my pendrive. I configured my Sabayon and installed required packages. I replaced Windows 10 for Windows 7 also. The trickiest part was installing Windows 7 to the disk... I switched BIOS to the Legacy mode before. I made a small partition at the end of disk with Sabayon and wrote there all Windows installation disk out. I made this small partition bootable with GParted... The installation went smoothly... I wiped this partition out and made my Sabayon bootable anew. Then I ran "grub-update" of course. Happily all drivers for Windows were available from Lenovo. I downloaded these drivers to the disk with Sabayon and copied them to the Windows desktop and installed...
Maybe this info will be helpful...