failed to start x server

If you are new to Linux or new to Sabayon Linux and just not sure where to post, here ya go. Post without fear of being told to RTFM :)

Moderator: Moderators

Pack
Baby Hen

failed to start x server

Post by Pack » Wed Apr 27, 2011 21:24

Hello, im kinda new to linux but have been using ubuntu,opensuse and mint for a little while now. I wanted to try Sabayon but I cant get it to start. I keep getting this "failed x server (your graphical interface..." and then it asks me if i want to view the logs. I click yes and then i get this wall of text and at the end it says no screens detected, im not sure what to do.
My computer has an ATI radeon HD 6870 if that helps and it is the 64bit version of Sabayon (E17). I tried the KDE version and i got the same thing.
The computers internet connection is through wireless so I don't have an internet connection until I get this fixed, anyone know how to fix this? Keep in mind im new to all this.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: failed to start x server

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 21:58

The ATI Radeon HD 6870 has only recently become supported in Linux, by the AMD Catalyst for Linux driver version 11.3, and the open-source driver is apparently still buggy with this GPU (see Sapphire Radeon HD 6870 On Linux). So that's why you are having trouble. Until the Catalyst driver version 11.3 (ati-drivers-11.3) is added to the Entropy repository you will not be able to use the closed-source driver, and I'm not sure what the status is regarding the current version of the open-source Radeon driver xf86-video-ati and your GPU.

Have you actually installed to your HDD, or are you still trying to boot the LiveCD?

You could try the open-source Radeon driver to see if you have any joy. If that fails, you can try the VESA driver which would at least get you going until the Catalyst 11.3 driver is put in the repository.

To try the open-source Radeon driver, when the LiveCD boot menu appears press F5 and append xdriver=radeon to the kernel boot line and press Enter. If that does not work, when the LiveCD boot menu appears press F5 and append xdriver=vesa to the kernel boot line and press Enter.

If you do get to a desktop and decide to install to your HDD, when the driver appears in the Entropy repository you will be able to install it. You'll need to do a couple of other things. Post again when ati-drivers-11.3 appears in the repository and one of us will tell you then what you need to do to switch from the open-source Radeon or VESA driver to the closed-source Catalyst driver.

Hope it works for you.

Pack
Baby Hen

Post by Pack » Wed Apr 27, 2011 22:01

Thanks i will give it a shot, I was able to get it installed via the text installer. Any idea on how to do that with it already installed on the hard drive?

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 22:23

If you can get to a command line:

1. open-source Radeon driver:

The file /etc/X11/xorg.conf should contain the following in the Device section for the monitor:

Code: Select all

Device "ati"
Make sure the driver is actually installed:

equo install xf86-video-ati
Also, use the following command as root user to make sure the open-source OpenGL libraries are being linked to:

eselect opengl set xorg-x11

2. open-source VESA driver:

The file /etc/X11/xorg.conf should contain the following in the Device section for the monitor:

Device "vesa"

equo install xf86-video-vesa
Also, use the following command as root user to make sure the open-source OpenGL libraries are being linked to:

eselect opengl set xorg-x11
3. closed-source Catalyst driver (v11.3, when it becomes available):

Device "fglrx"

equo install ati-drivers-11.3#2.6.xx-sabayon
equo conf update
N.B. You must have kernel 2.6.xx installed, as the compiled driver must match it (xx is currently "38-r1" if I recall correctly).

Also, use the following command as root user to make sure the closed-source OpenGL libraries are being linked to:

eselect opengl set ati
See Re: fglrx doesn't work properly for some pointers.