Which (modern) laptops work OK with Sabayon?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Which brands of laptop work OK with Sabayon

Poll ended at Wed Dec 06, 2006 15:41

Acer
22%
Asus
11%
Dell
22%
Fujitsu Siemens
No votes
HP
22%
IBM
No votes
Lenovo
No votes
LG
11%
Sony
No votes
Toshiba
11%

Total votes: 9

schivmeister
Simple Hen

Post by schivmeister » Mon Mar 19, 2007 20:40

Feedback with 3.2, no customizations, LiveCD mode, and after install

HP Compaq Presario V3000

Tested w/ 256MiB RAM and 64MiB graphics allocation (auto with the Intel GMA, is increased when 1GiG is added), Beryl runs fine without tormenting your resources, playing along nicely with many effects turned on (LiveCD* AND HD install) less the hardware pipes-dependent water/snow & maybe reflection (this I'm unsure). 1GiG is required to load up things faster (makes my life easier), but even 256 is tolerable although not pleasant. 512MiB does not provide a big jump relative to performance.

*Make sure your version of internal optical disc drive has a fast read speed, as the average 24x is too slow and torturous to boot and run a LiveCD.

The kernel already has dual-core support, so that's good news. But the i586 default configuration is way inferior but deals no significant damage. Core Duo should be Pentium-M and Core 2 Duo already has its own space in the kernel as of .19 or .20 was it? Suspend-to-RAM and Suspend-to-Disk work fine at first without Suspend2, but after leaving it alone for a while the system does not want to start up so everything is gone, but previous KDE session should atleast provide you with the lost windows.

Now the bad news, more related with purchasing this notebook than the OS, are the media buttons. I have yet to come across such a failed innovation such as this. The only way you can control the volume is AFTER you boot and log in (regardless of OS), because it is a sensor-type software layer-dependent volume controller. But in SL it is not even detected and there is no workaround as of now. It is the slide/touch interface. Other than that, you only get a PCM and Master control. So I can only control my volume with KMix and keyboard fn or shortcut, no hardware controller. Front mics are not detected, neither can they be configured easily. Headphone input does not work either. Nothing heard from the headphone, and plugged in the external speakers are still alive. None of the other 2 media buttons work but I personally don't use those. Sound itself works fine out-of-the-box. Oh yes, did i mention wireless doesnt work also? Hah. Stupid broadcom.

Conclusion: Be wary of purchasing a notebook for Linux, as many "innovative" features are a pain in the ass even for Windows, such as the new bling bling blue-led media "buttons" (they are just sensors, not buttons at all). For LiveCD purposes, as mentioned, get a notebook with an internal optical disc drive that has more than just 24 or 32x read capability. One with a Core 2 Duo processor is hard to NOT come across these days, but one with Intel GMA 950 is VERY easy to come across STILL. They won't let you show off Beryl with its true colours, meaning the water & snow effects. Dedicated pixel pipelines and hardware T&L must be present when purchasing a notebook with Mobility Radeon or GeForce Go chips. Dedicated VRAM doesn't really matter, so TurboCache or HyperMemory is fine.
Last edited by schivmeister on Tue Mar 20, 2007 0:04, edited 1 time in total.

fgs
Baby Hen

Acer TravelMate 3004TWMi

Post by fgs » Mon Mar 19, 2007 22:05

Acer TravelMate 3004WTMi works mostly well with Sabayon Linux 3.26.

I wrote more details about my experience on http://www.sabayonlinux.org/wiki/index. ... e_3004WTMi

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon Mar 19, 2007 23:06

The Acer TravelMate 8215WLMi works perfectly with the x86-64 3.26 LiveDVD (I've not installed to the HDD yet). But I need to enter a boot cheat code to get the x86-64 3.3 LiveDVD to boot:

http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5161

The 8215WLMi's built-in wireless adapter still works well with 3.3, although NetworkManager displays error messages when you shut down Sabayon.

My procedure for getting a Bluetooth keyboard to work with x86-64 3.26 (see the Wiki) also works with 3.3 but, unlike 3.26, the restart of hcid (see Step 4 in the procedure) displays an error message and the Bluetooth keyboard does not reconnect automatically if you let it go to sleep. My guess is that this would occur on any PC, though, and is not Acer-specific. I'll investigate further in due course.

motogp
Baby Hen

Post by motogp » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:44

alienware m5700 1.73 ghz
512 ram
40g = 10g Sabayon (reiserfs) 4g /home (reiserfs) 10g Vista Beta rc1 (ntfs) 12g dataexchange (vfat)
dvdrw

all works ... hardware and software ... very happy indeed .

cameron
Baby Hen

Post by cameron » Wed Mar 21, 2007 16:19

Asus F3Jm here, everything works out of the box, except the sound which works with a bit of tweaking. I'm using Sabayon 3.26, as we speak downloading 3.3 :) And I have installed and booting on this notebook FreeBSD, NetBSD, Sabayon and XP.

bifrost
Baby Hen

laptops that love the hen

Post by bifrost » Wed Mar 21, 2007 23:28

TOSHIBA EQUIUM M40X works perfectly with each Sabayon release for me; wireless, display, everything.

bifrost

w98
Baby Hen

Post by w98 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 15:52

Toshiba Satellite, A25-S207

Okay, maybe not so 'modern', as it's only a P4 2.66GHz with 512MB of RAM, but still a great box for on-the-road development for my open-source projects.

Wrote up some notes here on how I got through the PATA DVDROM stuff by using an external USB DVDROM, and found the culprit driver:
http://www.sabayonlinux.org/forum/viewt ... 7&start=50

"out of the box", the Trident Cyberblade chipset used the 'tridentfb' driver instead of the 'trident' driver, which locked me at an 800x600 resolution, but wireless/wired ethernet and Ali audio works without a problem, and on this laptop, wireless and audio are the two biggest complaints I've had with various distros. This distro got it right first try, and I've only ever had Ubuntu do that first try on this machine.

(edited to include notes on wireless/audio)

Roby13
Baby Hen

Post by Roby13 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:49

Distro: Sabayon 3.3 x86_64.
Laptop: Dell Inspiron 6400.

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7200 (2.0 GHz, 4 MB L2 cache, 667 MHz FSB)
256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 graphics card (WXGA+ 1440x900)
Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy ADVANCED HD Audio
European - Bluetooth Wireless Network Card
Dell Wireless 1390 802.11b/g 54Mbps Mini-PCI Wireless Card, for Merom Processors
HD 100Gb 7200 sata

seems to work all good.
NB:
With ATI, AIGLX it does not work.
I have not had occasion to still try the wireless, but it seems is recognized correctly.
Roby

teo
Baby Hen

Post by teo » Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:59

I got a Lenovo C200 (it was -sort of- a gift, didn't choose it myself) and it sucks with any linux distro. No wireless support, problems with opengl on Sabayon 3.3 and NO SOUND (!!) when acpi enabled. Only setting acpi=ht at boot enables audio on any distro, but without mic input or volume control and NO PCMCIA. Basically i can choose at every boot if I want audio support or PCMCIA+power management support. Lame.

R3MF
Advanced Hen

Post by R3MF » Sun Mar 25, 2007 15:10

i'd like to know if the new samsung R20 laptop using the new AMD X1250 GPU/chipset works ok with Sabayon?
http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebooks ... ung-R20/p1
looks very nice, and cheap as chips!