How to upgrade sabayon 4.0 to 4.1 using emerge?

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

How to upgrade sabayon 4.0 to 4.1 using emerge?

Postby protexblu » Wed Jun 24, 2009 19:14

I would like to upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 using emerge. I've switched from using unstable to stable packages. Is there something as simple as emerge sabayon to start the upgrade?
protexblu
Baby Hen

Re: How to upgrade sabayon 4.0 to 4.1 using emerge?

Postby wolfden » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:25

you can't simple just update to a specific release number using portage as portage is a head of 4.1 and even 4.2. portage is portage and updates every day. See our wiki on Complete Portage Guide to help understand portage and how to use it.

If you are new, I highly recommend to use equo to upgrade as mixing the two is definitely going to give you grief. Also Sabayon isn't using stable packages so you can't even get to 4.1 or 4.2.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby protexblu » Thu Jun 25, 2009 13:23

Well I thought there might be a meta build I could unmask and then start unmasking other ebuilds as it needed them. I really don't want to switch back to ~amd and to emerge -uDN world as that would pull in more than I think i need.

Equo, I removed that awhile ago. I got upset with it after I was doing a world update and went to bed only to find that equo was prompting me for something. I've also found that the binary builds make my computer seem somewhat choppy, where as everything runs smooth just using portage.

So from what you are telling me, there really isn't a clear upgrade path using portage. Sure I could switch back to unstable and emerge world, but even then it still wouldn't be sabayon 4.1 or 4.2?
protexblu
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Thu Jun 25, 2009 21:53

emerge world isn't a version, you don't emerge world to a specific version as it's continuously rolls on. When you emerge world you are going current to gentoo portage so you will always be ahead of any sabayon release.

You are using portage so you can stick with stable branch. That is the great thing about Sabayon, you have the choices to do what you want with package managers. All you have to do is keep world updating via portage now and not worry about release versions.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers