Difference between using Entropy and Portage

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Difference between using Entropy and Portage

Postby danielf » Sun Jun 07, 2009 23:31

Hello,

first of all, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. I wasn't sure if it would be better here or on the "Portage" forum.

I would like to know what are the main difference between using Entropy and the Sabayon overlay on Portage (besides the compilation, of course).

I am asking this because I really like the sabayon packages. I used to use Gentoo, and after installing something I would have to configure it, and it wasn't always easy... of course I've learned a lot about Linux in these 2 years. Then I've tried Sabayon and fell in love with it, used Entropy for everything and everything was just fine.

Then, for some reasons I will not discuss here, I needed to configure my own kernel (the Sabayon default wasn't good for me). But now I am afraid of some incompatibility of modules. I have no problem with compiling a lot, but I would still like to get the Sabayon packages as in Entropy.

So basically, if I use Portage instead of Entropy will the packages be the same (the pre/post compiling, etc.)?

Thank you,
Daniel.
danielf
Baby Hen

Re: Difference between using Entropy and Portage

Postby Thev00d00 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:18

Personally I would setup a community repo. Emerge the linux-sabayon, configure it as you like, package it up and it to a local repo. Next time you run equo world your new package will get pulled in with the updates.
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Re: Difference between using Entropy and Portage

Postby danielf » Mon Jun 08, 2009 17:20

OK, thank you, I will try that.

What about the modules? I mean, suppose I equo something that have a module as a precedency, what would entropy do? Will it just download the pre-compiled one (that won't work for me) or will it "see" that I use a different kernel and emerge it?

Thank you again, great work on Sabayon.

Daniel.
danielf
Baby Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers