[Input Needed] Sabayon 5 Brainstorm

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Re: [Input Needed] Sabayon 5 Brainstorm

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Thu May 21, 2009 22:37

Lumpenturd wrote:Better broadcom support might be good too; the 43xx is becoming quite common in newer laptops and didn't work with SL until 4.1. Even then, the drivers still had problems connecting to wpa2 networks.

That statement is not entirely correct. For example I have a 5-year old Acer Ferrari 3000 laptop which has a Broadcom 4306 wireless LAN controller, and it works perfectly with SL 4.0-r1 on unencrypted, WEP-encrypted and WPA-encrypted networks (I've not tried it with WPA2 yet). The current status for the open-source driver for the 43xx family is given on the page http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/?go=devices. (The part closed-source ("hybrid") driver from Broadcom supports the 4311, 4312, 4321 and 4322 members of the family.)
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby GI_James » Fri May 22, 2009 23:58

A USB startup disk creator would be nice to have. I noticed that Ubuntu has one, could prove handy. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick
James Strickland
Crestview, FL
StrickStuff.com
Computer
Screen
Keyboard
Wireless Mouse
Mouse Pad
GI_James
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat May 23, 2009 0:30

GI_James wrote:A USB startup disk creator would be nice to have. I noticed that Ubuntu has one, could prove handy. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

As does Fedora. Yes, a good suggestion.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Mon May 25, 2009 2:07

I have seen lots of speed improvement using python 2.6.x / 2.6.2 in my other builds , maybe it is time to go from 2.5.x to 2.6.x "sqlite consolekit readline use flags".
gcc 4.3.3-x = no noticeable difference , likely just stability.

It feels as if I upgraded the cpu / overeager desktop performance with this.
Could also be the downgraded openrc to 4.2.x or the combination , it feels alive . :D

Definitely worth looking into.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Mon May 25, 2009 22:33

Lumpenturd
Regards to the bcm43xx.

module wl makes b43 and wpa stupid and causes 8 letter password to become 25 letters of rubish and then fails to connect as it has turned the right password into the wrong extended one, so here is the cheat.

In livedvd 4.1 gnome you would first have to unload "modprobe -r b43" in this order the b43 , wl , b44 , mac80211 then "ifconfig ??? down" any eth0 or eth1 everything except net.lo "lo". iwconfig will only show "lo" and nothing else then proceed.

Then first load "modprobe b44" then mac80211 then b43 and you should have normal wpa and wlan0 bcm43xx instead of eth0 or eth1 and defective wpa. Check iwconfig and ifconfig and note the new wlan0 and wmaster0 .

PS> If you do not ifconfig down eth0/1/2/3/4/etc then the problem remains.

PS> b43 will not work if b44 is not first loaded or this is how it does on mine.

Using this specific order / patern / method it will / should be transfered into the installed if done before launching the installer the first time or at least it should but now you know how to fix it + blacklist "wl" if you can.

We should somehow keep this in mind in SL 4.2 or SL 5.0 , mac80211 has to be loaded for intel wifi cards to work correctly and does help bcm43xx cards to work correctly.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby zenmaster-uk » Thu Jun 04, 2009 14:02

easy.
AWN and Screenlets on a standard install for Gnome versions. People go mad for desktop widgets these days. its all that Mac stuff you know. Clocks buttons. Reaally would put LInux on the map in usage terms. I always thought GOS did a good job in that respect but sadly their hardware detection was terrible. :D
zenmaster-uk
Baby Hen

Postby zenmaster-uk » Thu Jun 04, 2009 14:25

Just remembered why I have been testing distros for so many years. Its all about Eye Candy. Its why I messed around with Elive for so long.
Most people just want an OS that works and follows a similar structure to Windoze for apps, files, hardware etc. I've been telling my kids for ages to try Linux. My 14 year old son's attitude is "thats just for geeks and any way dad it doesn't play games"!!!!
My daughters views are "where's internet explorer gone and where's Windows Live!!!!!.
My great friend just says forget it, you're wasting your time with Linux cos the rest of the business world just doesn't use, doesn't know how to use it and doesn't want it. :(
They are of course all wrong.
Most PC games are going on line so thats not a problem for the future.
As far as the ladies and windows live just a little education from dad will help there.
Ultimately in the business world the cost of other OS's will drive them to Linux eventually or the utter intollerance of advertising every time they use a piece of software.
The world economic reccession will see a massive take up in Linux and see Microsoft shrinking rapidly.
Expect the newbie forum to start swelling big time.
Listen if we just had a wysiwig type Dreamweaver and Flash Website editor together with an exact match for Photoshop and automatic updating the world could dump Microsoft tomorrow.
Loving my Sabayon 4.2 gnome x64
Thankyou all
zenmaster-uk
Baby Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:45

I see openrc 0.5.0 is available and looks stable enough to use will test it soon.

http://roy.marples.name/projects/openrc ... RCDownload

Boot times:
For some reason booting 3.4 cd and 3.5pod x86 32bit times at 2.18secs before loading modules where 4.1 is fastest at 7.3secs for same event, should we go back to 3.5pod kernel config or methods to get best result + instead of using the slow down mdev in 3.5pod using 4.1 solution / combine the best from both to get best results ?

BCM43xx + wep/wpa/wpa2 problem / fix.
I have stable wpa2 / wep with 3.5pod on the bcm43xx wifi card but have better network recognition and distance for wifi network on SL4.1 wl driver that can not connect to old or replacement wifi router using wep / wpa / wpa2.
We might be able to combine wl + 3.5pod wep / wpa2 ?? to make a stable SL4.2 / SL5.0 bcm43xx or something along this lines.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby joost » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:52

I'm not going through all posts made in this topic, can somebody conclude the important points users wanted in this topic?
:lol:
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Tue Jun 16, 2009 15:40

Here is some compact / combined as requested + users for items. Can go back according to name to read full comments thru topic in same order.

R3MF
i'd like a dock too.
Drivers = ATI/Nvidia

Stupot
choices of pre-packaged entire themes
included things like docks and their placements, conky etc

DanySK
I think it would be great to have a updating "white list" for newbies, avoiding them to do critical updates (grub, kernels, drivers). I think just a double package.mask file selectable from equo/spritz would be already sufficient

dunsurfin
A large "read me first" that contains instructions on updating and warns of possible pitfalls.

WarraWarra
Advanced or basic locking dangerous modifications for newby's
Ability to split off umpc or similar from dvd.iso into seperate smaller iso's.
Basic cd sized distro + add on blocks/modules for games or office in seperate squashfs built ontop of basic cd.
Blocks are easier to maintain and fix / limit problems to a block not a whole dvd as we are used too.
Xdelta to re-release / fix broken iso like with 4.1-r3
Distcc = replace this idea with cude drivers and git colaboration.
Optional install / download fixes / new packages and install during SL install

chickpea + VooDoo
Install on Encrypted hard drive , edit> reiserfs needed for this.

WarraWarra
Speed up install / boot possibly using eglibc / small gentoo guides in ibiblio. Save to disk , open with firefox.
Install times with basic cd iso on dvdiso = fast + add mount blocks to install games / load only what is needed.

DanySK
Auto-detect the best monitor resolution and boot with the right framebuffer!

kodiakmax
How about a boot selection option to repair their grub configuration and reinstall grub if needed, etc etc

WarraWarra
i686 or i586 or i486 as base for speed / stability improvement and -march=i686 -mtune=???
Tweaking / performance suggestions
"lshw" for hardware recognition in terminal root login = easier for bug reporting.
Install modules tehn what is needed / customize loading modules at boot for specific pc / narrow them down / dump uneeded modules.

Fitzcarraldo
Encrypted Hard drive install EDIT will need to have grub password as well otherwise encrypted is not mucch use.

kodiakmax
Dump uneeded modules / costomize loaded modules to PC specific as mentioned above.

DanySK
Mask packages from Sprtiz / Sulfur directly. Edit unmask as well / advanced feature ?

WarraWarra
Few customization auto scripts to speed up system / auto update scripts suggestion.

dagurasu
Encrypted Hard drive suggestions.

dunsurfin + BlueJayofEvil
Full dvd for easier install EDIT> Basic distro cd size + image blocks repacked into dvd iso should be ideal solution for this.

WarraWarra
HDTV monitor display options by default 720i 1080i/p etc , EDIT> this is a problematic one at best.

mobilehunter + Dhalens
Wicd as default EDIT> with needed deps ndiswrapper ioctl etc etc.
Ibus for language caracter input support as default.

dsparil
Nice looking distro / theme.
Full DVD be default if possible.

WarraWarra + kodiakmax + BlueJayofEvil
Rebuild 3.5pod to current as base cd image , or use funtoo stage3 + metro + layman + SL artwork + xfce / other DE.
lib32 and lib64 have 1 iso to load both 32bit and 64bit same as rescue cd, build using same config file just change 32bit to 64bit cpu support. cuts download traffic in half or doubles iso seeds / peers for torrent. Lots of advantages doing this.

VooDoo
I cant see this "above" happening on the main diskss to be honest, maybe on the core CD.

Kodiakmax
warning system for newbs about mixing package managers and lonks to get them aware of good / bad on website.

Stupod
Easy cheat code selection option during boot or grouped options for troublesome hardware. +1

Micia + Joost
cleaning uneeded / world file / good house-keeping or auto script for this with possible select option with user input.

Lumpenturd
Better equo + portage integration, Wifi driver / broadcom + wpa/wpa2, optimization guide in wiki, clean out menu's / get right stuff in right place, sinlge them interface for easy adjustment, Tor GUI. EDIt> control panel idea.

GI_James + Fitzcarraldo
Usb start-up disk creator app

WarraWarra
python 2.6.2, remarks about bcm43xx and problematic 4.1 wifi issues + methods.

zenmaster-uk
AWN and Screenlets on a standard install for Gnome versions. People go mad for desktop widgets these days. its all that Mac stuff you know. Clocks buttons.

WarraWarra
Openrc 5.0, bcm43xx suggestions

Joost
request compact suggestions list.

Edit> no idea what happened to the artwork and a few other things requested in original topic post.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions