python 2.6 [Solved]

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

python 2.6 [Solved]

Postby kodiakmax » Tue May 26, 2009 1:45

First I know there can be dangers trying to update to 2.6 with sabayon. Now with that said, I would still like to do it. I am asking here for opinions on how best to go about it. Should this be all I would have to do?
Code: Select all
emerge -v =python-2.6.2
python-updater

I ask, because I don't want to waste a bunch of time compiling a crap load of packages that the updater wants me to emerge if I don't have to. Also, if that is the way to do it; what would be the easiest way to keep those packages updated so entropy doesn't install them again with python2.5 support? I assume I could just package mask them for entropy, but how could I use portage to check for updates on those particular packages?

The reason I want to do this is that a program called "calibre" requires python 2.6 or greater. I have already submitted a package request for it. However, because it requires python2.6 I don't see it happening anytime soon as sabayon would need to include python 2.6 as well.

which brings another point up. why is 2.6 not included? I understand it is "unstable" as yet, However, it is a slotted install so we could keep 2.5 installed alongside it. What would be the issue with that?
Last edited by kodiakmax on Fri May 29, 2009 20:16, edited 1 time in total.
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.
kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Re: python 2.6

Postby xlnagla » Tue May 26, 2009 2:54

for those of us who remember updating through portage from python 2.4 to python 2.5, we can certainly tell you that despite the fact that python is slotted, any python upgrade is a source of headaches, large breakages, and general mayhem. We've been spared, in a sense, by the fact that it's still unstable in portage - this means that we'll be able to keep 2.5 around for a while in branch 4. The upgrade, when it occurs, involves so many of our packages and will result in the required upgrade of so many of everyone else's that it will require upgrading a significant portion of a user's system at once - almost like upgrading to the next release from a fresh release install. Because of this, the general feel is that python 2.6 will be a new feature of branch 5, and the current branch 4 will keep working with python 2.5

If you really need python 2.6 and want to try and see if just maybe the slotting will work out, then go ahead and emerge it, and deal with your python-updater and revdep-rebuilds for the next few days. If slotting works it won't be too painful.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Tue May 26, 2009 17:24

It works out fairly good 90% + of the time.
Equo needs USE="sqlite " to work fine otherwise you get the sqlite3 support needed and it cries.

It will also pull in stuff later that would need USE="slang readline consolekit" as well as sqlite above.
Best is to add these use flags to just the python install or in make.conf and do a --deep --pretend.

emerge -ukb python -Dp

Still working on the other details / breakages but if it breaks you will loose equo entropy emerge and hopefully have git / funtoo + a few bin packages you can old school source compile from to get it back to life as even with chroot from livedvd will have same results.

Keep in mind this can keep you busy for at least 2 days of fun or more if it goes bad.
Will post how what and where after a bit more testing.

*  dev-lang/python
      Latest version installed: 2.6.2
      Homepage:      http://www.python.org/
      Description:   Python is an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming language.
      License:       PSF-2.2

*  dev-python/bug-buddy-python
      Latest version installed: 2.24.0
      Homepage:      http://pygtk.org/
      Description:   Python bindings for Bug Buddy
      License:       LGPL-2.1
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby kodiakmax » Thu May 28, 2009 6:37

I found a gentoo post about a similar situation going from 2.4 to 2.5 that is what I was thinking about doing. However, it doesn't look like a solution was found.
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-58 ... otted.html
I guess from the sounds of it, if I want to switch to python 2.6 I'll have to practically migrate entirely to a portage managed system. Because everything in entropy would want 2.5 while my system would then be linking to 2.6. Even though it is supposed to be a slotted install it doesn't work very well as you would have to have 2 different python modules compiled for each program that has python dependancies. And finally keeping all the packages straight between entropy and portage would be a pain for upgrades.

So I guess I'll think on it for a bit and decide how much time I want to put in to it. In the mean time I'll just either run Calibre via my windows partition or VirualBox. I'll probably just wait until Sabayon 5 because the amount of work and time involved wouldn't be worth the use of just one package.

Thanks for the info and insight.
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.
kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Thu May 28, 2009 15:30

LOL this is linux you should play with the clay.

Yup it is fun and easy just time consuming like building linux from stage3 + udef for use flags.

Best part is that even though linux is scary at first and you might likely stuff it up, this is SL 30mins reinstall or just "rm-rf /test" the newroot folder and you are back in business + have some bin packages already build for next "emerge -kb something" .
Once inside chroot /etc/make.conf PKGDIR="/test/bin" or "mount -o /test/bin /home/bin" where /home is on installed before using chroot. This way you can "umount /home/bin" and tehn delete /test folder + keep the bin's you build already.
See http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#book_part1_chap6
Change the export (chroot) to something that would focus you on where it is that you are trying to access like (PYTHON) otherwise you might end up doing commands in installed SL terminal instead of chroot that you want.
LOL messed it up like that :oops:

Once you chroot from livedvd or "newroot + chroot" using current install to say /test and go PY2.6.x using USE="sqlite consolekit readline" you have to rebuild the whole world then wait until equo gets there + maintain your own system using git funtoo emerge = just a few packages a day or a week , actually no need to update a already updated unless a major security bug needs to be fixed.

My installed SL tortured to py2.6.2 worked fine as long as one can stay away from equo until later and add all emerge something -p use flags.
My laptop is always on and wasting electricity so might as well be useful during this time and compile packages.

It does not take too much time only using portage as you can let the updates start at night and in the morning 99% of them is done but might miss a few use flags or -p and add the use flags, kde openoffice and gnome is the 1-3 days specials / problems. You have the bin SL kde gnome 2.6 and openoffice just use them and rebuild to py26x instead of from source. "emerge -kb gnome" where /etc/make.conf points to PKGDIR="var/lib.....packages/4/.."

Once ready copy this to a new partition or leave in say "/test" and build the kernel if not already genkernel all + edit grub.conf and add /test as root for this new boot option and hen boot into it.

Browse around the ibiblio server there is always something new to play with.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Re: python 2.6 [solved]

Postby kenoby » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:38

I had switched from branch 4 to 5 and I found many programs not starting. I found that
eselect python set *
solves my problems. You do that after hop to 5
python-updater
AFAIC, emerges a lot of unnecessary stuff and makes a big mash-up
kenoby
Simple Hen

Re: python 2.6 [Solved]

Postby WarraWarra » Fri Jul 17, 2009 21:18

This is the steps I used to get mine "9 times tried and working" to work properly. Use commonsense and fix extra problems if needed.

After "equo world --upgrade 5" or "equo hop 5" depending what works for you, you would have to fix a few things.

GCC changes to 4.4.0 so you will have to
gcc-config -l

and then use correct info for
gcc-config -f i686......somethign...something

You would also need to get python to update to latest.
python-updater
something 2.4 to 2.6 something if working correctly.

You would likely need to update or reinstall the nvidia or ati drivers to be correctly linked to new python.
equo install nvidia-drivers

It would be good to
module-rebuild rebuild

and finally install the latest kernel 2.6.30 or later as is available.

Now before restart make sure to deptest and libtest to make sure all is well and working properly.
equo libtest
equo deptest

Make sure you have ( openresolv dhcp and ifconfig iproute ndiswrapper wpa_supplicant ) installed should you need to get a text root login network working.

Check grub.conf as well as /etc/mtab and /etc/fstab if all is well reboot and hold your thumbs.

If you end up with a failed gui desktop start "root text login screen" then just get the internet working and re-install nvidia or ati drivers.

Someone else might post proper
ati-config --help

options to get the xorg.conf to work properly and recognize the correct pci dev to the correct video card for xorg.conf .

This is the worst case scenario to fix problems that could or could not be and fix anything that should be working correctly.

It would be a good idea but not necessary needed to reinstall the whole world against new python , gcc + new kernel for 100% working properly linux. This is a good way to do it but the development team might have fixed this or cheated past already.
This could end up with 1355+ packages downloaded so confirm with Joost / development team about this or how to cheat past this 1355+ packages without having to re-download what is already there.

Best of luck.

Trouble shooting hardware:
For more detailed output of hardware run " lspci -vv " note speeds for video card to slot as well as cpu to ram.

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers