Installing SL4.1 using portage

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Installing SL4.1 using portage

Postby albfneto » Thu May 21, 2009 22:19

since my sabayon installation of version 4.0 r1, is complete and very large, many, many packages, i use the original Sabayon's make.conf, and therefore i use many global flags...
I see, some months ago, in somewhere place in this Sabayon Forum, that Wolfden wrote a comprehensive tutorial for using make conf and flags, bu i was unable to locate it.
instead, in the same computer, i have an gentoo installation also, without KDE or GNOME and using only 4 light graphical envir.: E17, XFCE and LXDE.
XFCE is the default, the more commonly graphical env. in Gentoo.
and in this Gentoo installation, i use relatively few flags, but this depends of the packages that you will run...

but for CFLAGS, you may see:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/CFLAGS
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri May 22, 2009 1:06

mpdefeo wrote:What use flags are recommended for compiling world packages?

The ones that you need for hardware and software useage - only you really know that
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby wolfden » Fri May 22, 2009 1:07

albfneto wrote:since my sabayon installation of version 4.0 r1, is complete and very large, many, many packages, i use the original Sabayon's make.conf, and therefore i use many global flags...
I see, some months ago, in somewhere place in this Sabayon Forum, that Wolfden wrote a comprehensive tutorial for using make conf and flags, bu i was unable to locate it.
instead, in the same computer, i have an gentoo installation also, without KDE or GNOME and using only 4 light graphical envir.: E17, XFCE and LXDE.
XFCE is the default, the more commonly graphical env. in Gentoo.
and in this Gentoo installation, i use relatively few flags, but this depends of the packages that you will run...

but for CFLAGS, you may see:

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/CFLAGS

http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... troduction
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby kodiakmax » Mon May 25, 2009 4:54

sa86 I believe is a troll. I wouldn't click that link. He posted some other crap like link in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=16976&p=97753#p97753
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.
kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon May 25, 2009 18:50

kodiakmax wrote:sa86 I believe is a troll. I wouldn't click that link. He posted some other crap like link in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=16976&p=97753#p97753

Thanks for bringing the spammer to our attention. I'll delete his two posts. BTW, you can report posts like his by clicking on the inverted triangle with an exclamation mark in it in the offending post.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby kodiakmax » Mon May 25, 2009 23:27

gotcha, I'll remember that
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.
kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Tue May 26, 2009 5:18

About the original topic:
He would just have to keep a eye on how he adds the packages as at some stage it gets too far from the SL branch and can cause havoc trying to find errors / fixes etc and still mixing and matching or try to recover using both and different tree's, git merge might be the only solution and lots of skill.

Either go all the way from SL to source portage and maintain that direction / tree / branch or stay as close to SL tree as possible with a few extra programs / packages if using the livedvd full install.

Server / Core install, source packages should be fine as you would likely not use much of the equo packages only to get started and then change direction.
Somewhere you would loose either emerge or equo as one will take precedence and the tree you are using.

Very sensitive areas is python and dependent programs + equo + sqlite and having something go wrong here leads to lost of fun eventually breaking emerge and a few others leading to a snowball effect trying to catch this. Best is to keep making bin packages just in case you need to start over and have a copy of /var/lib/entropy as well as /usr/portage for faster recovery times especially with using git.

Try to see if using say funtoo get the portage-2009-????.bz2 snapshots and below mention package folder as alternative.

Have a look at this:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.zugaina.org/index.php/HOWTO_setup_a_PORTAGE_BINHOST_server
Configure your make.conf (server side)

Code: Select all
cd /var/db/pkg/; for i in */*; do quickpkg --include-config=y =$i; done

As well as alternative daily backup to say external hd "/mnt/hd2/packages" of say your PKGDIR="/backup/packages" in make.conf and using this above to build to it. Use caution with "eclean packages" as some old and new ones will be needed during redo after clean install or once you are about where you need to be = format and rebuild using bin's you created.

LOL I had to do this a few times :oops: after the crazy Mexican fireworks outside. Damn they are loud. LOL

Hope this makes sense and helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Previous

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers