Re-loaded/Updated packages and now no access to Sabayon

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Re-loaded/Updated packages and now no access to Sabayon

Postby Tony-photoplus » Wed May 20, 2009 20:39

Sorry have had too much morphine now brain is giving up and so am I at the moment, so forgive the mistakes I make

Tony
Dual Boot - Windows XP
Sabayon 4.1 (64bit)
Dual CPU 64bit 3.1mhz
4.1 gb ram
220 gb disk with 500gb external disk
Tony-photoplus
Simple Hen

Postby sjieke » Wed May 20, 2009 21:07

Don't be sorry, everyone makes mistakes. Just pointing it out, because if you made the same mistake when trying to edit the file it is normal that the file was not found.

Could you try the following command also
Code: Select all
ls /etc/conf.d/

And tell us what you see. What entries do you see that start with an x?
sjieke
Technological Hen

Postby kodiakmax » Thu May 21, 2009 0:45

Tony-photoplus wrote:Ok, I know its the right root as its mounted /.

ignore me if this has already been stated, figured out, stupid statement, or correct me if I'm wrong. I was just glancing through this post.

If you are attempting fix from live environment if you just "cd /" the / is the live enironment root not the installed root. you would have to manually mount the installed environment partition to gain access to the installed file structure; so it should actually be at something like /media/sda2/etc/conf.d/xdm
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.
kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Postby Tony-photoplus » Thu May 21, 2009 8:31

Thanks for the info. What was just looking for info is now becoming back to trying to repair. Its not working, but what I was trying to say is that I could pull out any boot logs or scripts that might help Sabayon. But I know its come to the end of the road really. As I have an OS I shall just fix my MBR so as I can just turn on my computer.

We gave it a try and thanks for all your input guys

Tony
Dual Boot - Windows XP
Sabayon 4.1 (64bit)
Dual CPU 64bit 3.1mhz
4.1 gb ram
Tony-photoplus
Simple Hen

Postby sjieke » Thu May 21, 2009 19:05

I know you're not looking to fix this, but maybe there is someone else with the same issue. And if we find a solution it would be great :alien:
So bear with me in my last attempt...

I tried to simulate your situation and deleted the file '/etc/conf.d/xdm' and got the following login screen:

Now you login using your normal usernam and password. The graphical interface you get is the following:

Now become root in the terminal window using the 'su' command and your root password:
You are root if the green text changed in red...

So according to your previous posts the command
cat /etc/conf.d/xdm
resulted in 'No such file or directory'
So we will create it. Execute the code
nano -w /etc/conf.d/xdm

This wil give you a basic text editor. So now put following lines in it
CHECKVT=7
DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm"

A screenshot of what you should have:

Now press 'CTRL+X', he will ask you if you are sure you want to save. We are so press the 'Y' key. Now he asks you for the filename. It is already correct so just press the 'Return' key (also known as the 'Enter' key)
Try the command 'cat /etc/conf.d/xdm' again:

All done. We just need to reboot now. We can do this with the command
reboot

And if we are lucky... :eye:
sjieke
Technological Hen

Postby Tony-photoplus » Thu May 21, 2009 19:32

Dam, I just had to re fix my Windows MBR as since I have had problems with Sabayon it has caused problems with my Windows. So I made the decision as it was becoming difficult to fix it and as Sabayon was not fixed I went for the FIXMBR. Now I have no problems. Saying that that may indicate something that has gone wrong with Sabayon.

Also since I have lost my linux boot I can't see how I can fix it now. But yes you have the right interface there and the correct view I had. I would think most would move on and not go as far as I have, but that would be down to the great help you guys have been in trying to assist me. So if I can get back the boot to Sabayon is it easy? Or is it another re-load :evil:

Tony
Dual Boot - Windows XP
Sabayon 4.1 (64bit)
Dual CPU 64bit 3.1mhz
4.1 gb ram
Tony-photoplus
Simple Hen

Postby kodiakmax » Thu May 21, 2009 20:18

If you didn't format or anything your sabayon partition it is still there. So, all you should have to do is re-install grub. as the fixmbr method of the windows repair overwrites grub.
choose one of thre ways below.

1)Use the LiveDVD/CD run through the install gui (don't reformat anything or change partition info) until you get to the grub install section and use it to reinstall grub and then quit the installer.

2) Use supergrubdisk --> http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

3) slightly more complicated -->
3a. Pop in the Live CD, boot from it until you reach the desktop.
3b. Open a terminal window or switch to a tty.
3c. Type "grub"
3d. Type "find /boot/grub/stage1". You'll get a response like "(hd0)" or in my case "(hd0,2)". Use whatever your computer spits out for the following line
3e. Type "root (hd0,2)", or whatever your harddisk + boot partition numbers are (my /boot is at /dev/sda7, which translates to hd0,6 for grub).
3f. Type "setup (hd0)", ot whatever your harddisk nr is.
3g. Quit grub by typing "quit".
3h. Reboot.
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.
kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Postby Tony-photoplus » Thu May 21, 2009 20:44

:lol: Ha, ha ha, it would be funny if just by reloading my boot it fixes the problem

Tony
Dual Boot - Windows XP
Sabayon 4.1 (64bit)
Dual CPU 64bit 3.1mhz
4.1 gb ram
Tony-photoplus
Simple Hen

Postby sjieke » Fri May 22, 2009 6:59

So you fixed your boot using one of the methods kodiakmax described and all is back to normal without doing anything else?

If so, could you mark the topic solved by appending '[Solved]' to the title of your first post.
sjieke
Technological Hen

Postby Tony-photoplus » Fri May 22, 2009 7:42

Ah, don't so haste, I had an awful day yesterday and I shall be attempting it possibly later, not sure. I have to go and collect my car today which has been off the road for 4 weeks and just like the Sabayon has had problems no one can fix!! We live in the countryside and we have no neighbours or can't get to the shops. So we have to do a small enough shop today and we have to go to Carmarthen tomorrow for a big shop. So I will see how I feel after all my wonderful excitement of 'shopping'. Believe me I prefer to be on the comp messing about, but you have to suffer these things.
Dual Boot - Windows XP
Sabayon 4.1 (64bit)
Dual CPU 64bit 3.1mhz
4.1 gb ram
Tony-photoplus
Simple Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion