[Input Needed] Sabayon 5 Brainstorm

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Re: [Input Needed] Sabayon 5 Brainstorm

Postby kodiakmax » Wed May 13, 2009 6:23

WarraWarra wrote:PS> systemrescuecd has both 32 and 64 bit on it with both lib and lib64 modules and kernel maybe we can do the same and safe bandwidth + only seed 1 torrent per release. Should only add about 30mb to 80mb to the iso by doing this.

That's a really neat idea
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.
kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Postby Thev00d00 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:17

WarraWarra wrote:The 3.5pod can be updated but takes about 1093 or there about's packages to update , maybe we can rebuild it or using funtoo stage 3 / metro and SL layman + SL artwork build a new xfce4 cd version. Can even merge entropy and funtoo + added features.

Both DVD and CD version has a place in my life but prefer the cd.

PS> systemrescuecd has both 32 and 64 bit on it with both lib and lib64 modules and kernel maybe we can do the same and safe bandwidth + only seed 1 torrent per release. Should only add about 30mb to 80mb to the iso by doing this.

I cant see this happening on the main diskss to be honest, maybe on the core CD.
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby kodiakmax » Thu May 14, 2009 9:30

I am not sure how you could implement this but here is another idea.

There needs to be a warning system for newbs about mixing package managers. Some kind of warning when they try to run emerge whatever; it would then say "Are you REALLY sure you want to do this? You should probably be using Entropy. This can break your system. Go here to read about Sabayon's package manager. (link_to_Entropy_Wiki)" and then exit without doing anything. Then have a switch somewhere for people who know what they are doing to allow access to emerge.
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.
kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Postby Stupot » Thu May 14, 2009 17:21

I have one other suggestion.

I know that we have cheat codes which can come in very handy for troublesome hardware. However, when I first downloaded the SabayonDVD, I did not know about them and it took a bit of searching to know that such a thing existed. What if we had an option to view/add cheatcodes and what they are for as part of the initial boot Menu on the LiveDVD?

So you'd have the:
Start Sabayon
Start Sabayon (No Music)
...etc...
Graphical Instation
Problems booting?

Inside the 'Problems booting?', there would basically be what is in the wiki, where you see a cheatcode and a short description of what it's for. While we're at it, we might as well make it so users can select cheatcodes in that menu and it will add them to the grub line for them.

Just an idea.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby micia » Sun May 17, 2009 9:18

I'd suggest a way to keep the system clean and without any Windows like empty folder or useless file.
One of my favourite features in linux is that the system can be kept clean and efficient, but when Sabayon is
installed there are a lot of empty folders belonging to packages that were never installed in etc folder and in /usr/share.
For example I got /etc/panda, /etc/aegis-virus-scanner, and so on...

This is very annoying, so I suggest an automatic utility that scans the system and removes (this should be user assisted, obviously) all these files, that can be left by entropy or portage installs/uninstalls.

Since Sabayon is now pretty solid and feature rich, I think that it should now focus on some utilities to ease its management (and recovery in case something bad happened).
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby BlueJayofEvil » Tue May 19, 2009 19:06

WarraWarra wrote:systemrescuecd has both 32 and 64 bit on it with both lib and lib64 modules and kernel maybe we can do the same and safe bandwidth + only seed 1 torrent per release. Should only add about 30mb to 80mb to the iso by doing this.

sidux has this as well. The sidux liveCD boot menu lets you choose 32-bit or 64-bit. Perhaps we could do something similar?
BlueJayofEvil
Growing Hen

Postby joost » Tue May 19, 2009 22:17

@micia

Cleaning the chroot AND the world file is high prio.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby micia » Wed May 20, 2009 10:18

This is great news from me, as finding out the mighty:
Code: Select all
equo query orphans

I think that Sabayon only needs some user friendly system admininstrations and recovery tools,
sometimes using bash can be frightnening for some users, one should be able to choose
to use it or not, in my opinion.

Maybe also some README that explains out of the box the features and suggested usage of Entropy and Portage,
it could be wise to put it just in the installation process: while formatting and installing the system, there could be
some screenshots but some messages also, that explains what the user is installing, not only visually, but also feature-wise.
In many reviews that I seen in the internet, the reviewer was surprised when "he found out" about Sabayon features,
it could be wise to show them off immediatly, in my opinion.
micia
Sagely Hen

Postby joost » Wed May 20, 2009 10:48

Documentation is in the TODO.
Its the final stage towards Entropy 1.0

:D
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby Lumpenturd » Thu May 21, 2009 14:20

I'd like to see Entropy/Spritz working alongside portage better. Automatic detection of portage updated packages would be nice, instead of having to "equo database gentoosync" everytime.

Better broadcom support might be good too; the 43xx is becoming quite common in newer laptops and didn't work with SL until 4.1. Even then, the drivers still had problems connecting to wpa2 networks.

A guide to optimizing the system, placed on the desktop on first boot, would be nice. Even better, an entire guide for new users containing pertinent information, like optimizing, config files, known issues, a guide to updating, and a list of places to get help along with some guidelines for forum/IRC etiquette.

Clean the menus; though it's easy to do, it can be a bit disorienting for new users when things which belong in "Administration" are actually found under "Preferences".

A theme packaging system, as mentioned in a previous post, allowing users to use a single interface to tweak settings. Along the lines of this,

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Desktop+Designer+(running+Mock-up)?content=75581

except customized for SL.

Since the tor system is installed by default, a GUI of some kind might help to simplify setup; Vidalia works quite well.
Lumpenturd
Baby Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions