ATI (again) HD2300 [Solved]

Issues Related to Hardware (Sound, Video, Printers, Scanners, Webcams, Touchpads, Keyboards, Sensors, Drives, GRUB, etc.)

Moderator: Moderators

ATI (again) HD2300 [Solved]

Postby JackH79 » Mon May 18, 2009 10:10

Sorry to bother with ATI trouble again. Problem is that I've got a laptop with a Radeon HD 2300 (X2100; M71). This card is not supported through the ATI drivers themselves (for some, to me, unknown reason).
Thing is, I installed sab4.1 with gnome and everything works fine, except for anything more than basic 2d graphics - and even they are a bit sluggish (esp. when it comes to videos or shoving windows around in a frenzy). I've tried to install the radeonhd drivers but to no avail. Tried fiddeling with xorg.conf settings for hours but nothing. Whenever I try to activate the acceleration I get a white screen with only a movable mouse pointer visible.
I'm running ubuntu 9.04 parallel but would like to make the complete switch to sabayon. Jaunty works completely out of the box (ie no proprietary driver, but full screen video, compiz with all effects, (though not really "real" 3d apps, such as games)). Now, I don't really care about games not running, but I would like to be able to watch videos without stroboscopic effects and I've also become quite fond of my compiz gadgets.
My actual question: Does anybody know where I could find out what canonical did to get these things running in ubuntu 9.04 (8.10 didn't work that way). I have to admit that I'm still pretty green when it comes to the inner workings of linux, but that's exactly why I want to switch to Sab and would like to get my graphics working.
I would be greatful for any kind of help (simple link appreciated, complete work-through and I would start to build a temple in your honour).
Cheers
Jack
Last edited by JackH79 on Thu May 21, 2009 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
JackH79
Baby Hen

Re: ATI (again) HD2300

Postby sjieke » Mon May 18, 2009 10:24

You could try to copy your xorg.conf from ubuntu to sabayon (don't forget to backup your original working sabayon version). That way you could test your working ubuntu settings in sabayon. The opensource driver should be available in your sabayon install, and the xorg settings should be the same between sabayon and ubuntu...
sjieke
Technological Hen

Postby JackH79 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:11

Thanks very much for your reply.

But that doesn't work. My xorg.conf under ubuntu has only the identifiers for "Device", "Monitor", and "Screen". No options, no nothing - even though I'm using an external screen when at home. That's just my point. Ubuntu seems to be working differently. Mouse and Keyboard aren't even mentioned in the xorg.conf, though I'm using internal touchpad, external mouse, wacom tablet, external keyboard. Any other ideas?
JackH79
Baby Hen

Postby joost » Mon May 18, 2009 11:25

Remove the ati-drivers package completely if you want to try the radeonhd driver.
i noticed that radeonhd doesn't function when the fglrx drivers are installed (and its kernel module loaded)
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby JackH79 » Mon May 18, 2009 11:33

Thanks a bunch for the tip. Will try that tomorrow and than report back. Need to go sleepy-sleepy now.
Cheers
JackH79
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon May 18, 2009 13:01

Just to point out something in case it confuses you (as it did me). There are two different open-source drivers for AMD ATI GPUs:

1. Radeon

See X.Org Wiki article: http://www.x.org/wiki/radeon

The driver package is x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati and in /etc/X11/xorg.conf you have to declare Driver "radeon"

2. RadeonHD

See the X.Org Wiki article: http://www.x.org/wiki/radeonhd

The driver package is x11-drivers/xf86-video-radeonhd and in /etc/X11/xorg.conf you have to declare Driver "radeonhd"

You can read in the above-mentioned two X.Org Wiki articles what the differences are between the two drivers.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby JackH79 » Tue May 19, 2009 7:22

Thanks Fitzcarraldo. Yes, tried radeon and radeonhd separately (uninstalled each one before reinstall and uninstalled the ati rubbish). Still doesn't work. Guess I've got a bit of a quirk somewhere.
But, quite apart from me getting my machine running (which is actually not why I started the thread :-) ).

Is there anyone who could explain to me, how Ubuntu manages to make everything run without using the xorg.conf? Not even openSUSE's (which are supposed to be brilliant at recognising hardware) latest liveCD managed to configure my system correctly.
(I have to admit that I was cheeky enough to pose the same question on the ubuntuforums.org page, but so far didn't get a reply. So, maybe there isn't an easy answer.)

Thanks
JackH79
Baby Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Tue May 19, 2009 8:02

Did you remember to set opengl to xorg-x11 for the open-source drivers? You only set opengl to ati if you are using the fglrx (at-drivers) closed-source driver.

Code: Select all
# eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:
  [1]   ati *
  [2]   xorg-x11
# eselect opengl set 2
Switching to xorg-x11 OpenGL interface... done
# eselect opengl list
Available OpenGL implementations:
  [1]   ati
  [2]   xorg-x11 *
#
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby JackH79 » Thu May 21, 2009 6:03

Hiya Fitz,

thanks, but yep, did that. Still not working.

Interestingly my Xorg.0.log still gives me this error (not sure if it's actually responsible for my sorrow, but ...):

(EE) RADEONHD(0): The fglrx kernel module is loaded. This can have obvious
     or subtle side effects. See radeonhd(4) for details.

I have tried blacklisting fglrx in the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
and after that didn't work renaming the fglrx.ko to fglrx.ko.bkp

What else could I do? Any ideas?

The only other errors I get are:

(EE) RADEONHD(0): rhdAtomGetDDCIndex: GPIO_DDC Index 6 exceeds maximum 5

and

(EE) RADEONHD(0): failed to create server context
(EE) RADEONHD(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.

which I think could be related to the first error.

Any ideas what else I could try???

Thanks in advance
JackH79
Baby Hen

Postby joost » Thu May 21, 2009 9:03

Remove the ati-drivers package completely if you want to try the radeonhd driver.

equo remove ati-drivers
joost
Sagely Hen

Next

Return to Hardware