Installing SL4.1 using portage

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Installing SL4.1 using portage

Postby mpdefeo » Mon May 18, 2009 0:45

Hello

I would like to run a portage only installation of SL. Is the best way to do this by following this guide

http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... rld_Update

which would install from the live cd, then compile world packages (for SL3.3)? Or is it a better idea to do a core install then emerge world? Is there a guide to this? I have done a few gentoo minimal cd installs so im no stranger to config files and portage.

Thanks
mpdefeo
Young Hen

Re: Installing SL4.1 using portage

Postby wolfden » Mon May 18, 2009 1:22

If you want to use portage

core install, edit configs, fix world file, rebuild and than build on top of that.

We hope to have a core-cd out shortly
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby mpdefeo » Mon May 18, 2009 1:38

Is there a core install option on the current live cd?
mpdefeo
Young Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Mon May 18, 2009 1:54

Yup there is just boot into gui /gnome / kde and start the installer + update installer button then continue to install and choose either gnome / kde or xfce or core or any other options there as well.

PS> have a look at the funtoo "git" as it helps with the emerge --sync to cut it down from 3 hours to 5 mins and can switch between gentoo or funtoo or gentoo + layman " sabayon " or just use it in cas eof emergency and gentoo tree and do the rest "fastest" using equo.

If adding funtoo you can use ibiblio.org servers there is bin packages from funtoo like 4.3.3.-r2 that I dump there daily from some of my builds and could cut down on source compiles / time.
i686 generic bin's

I give as little info here as is safe for someone that knows what I am talking about and can use it and this is for more advanced adventures gentoo capable persons and not full supported by SL.

Seeing you have build from scratch before you are capable of reading up and using the info in a safe manor so you should be safe using this info.

Please make sure you read the wiki's / beginners guides to prevent mistakes and unneeded compile times.
Have a look at the release news post of say gnome or kde 4.1 to get the feel for it and pics of install / boot etc in screenshots that should show pics of the core install option.

Every problem you will bump into is 99% documented and bashed out here to no ends.

Get wolfdens firefox search forums plugin for faster searches and read as much as you possibly can.

Enjoy will try to help as much as we can. Best of luck.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby kodiakmax » Mon May 18, 2009 5:22

Here's my question that I don't understand. What's the point of sabayon if your just going to do portage only? Isn't the point of sabayon to have it's binary packages, so you don't have to compile them all? Why not then just start from a gentoo stage 3? I'm just curious.
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.
kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Postby wolfden » Mon May 18, 2009 5:26

We didn't start out binary, entropy is new method so now you have the choice to use binary or still use the good old way of portage like we always were. It's a double win win. Sabayon gave those away to get a gentoo based install up and running, but the sabayon to world was for the advanced users already use to portage.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby WarraWarra » Mon May 18, 2009 16:33

The nice thing of starting with say SL as base is you can have more than90% of the build as SL and have a few extra odd ball software that is not in entropy + you know it works.

Going from say gentoo stage 3 hell or funtoo stage3 you end up with lots of issues most people can not fix or with funtoo you are past SL packages wise "version numbers" and then have to add SL overlay and go back to the future + gentoo / funtoo does not look that nice + does not have the support / testing and fixes so you end up a island on you own problems wise unless you are hardcore old school gentoo'er and SL is just a kick start and don't care too much just need the speed convenience of SL as base to get where you are going.

I am sure there has been a few guy's doing 20 - 40 hours of compiling and then they find out 90% of it was a waist and have to start over or if lucky can use the bins they build if they did . LOL been there done that. :oops:

The thing is you have a choice of SL or Calculate or systemrescue and SL is the best to start from if doing something like this. SystemR has a few bugs in the 64bit kernel and instead of just changing from the working 32bit the 32 -> 64 bit setting for the kernel they left out several options so in vmware you can not even see the actual virtualhd's that is there and building on this = error's / have to redo and eventually figure this out if not on a vmware but in live / installed then what else could go wrong using the others.

SL you know it works / solid base. If serious you can make your own kernel or copy and paste + tweak and then build but most folks will just genkernel all and good / bad / defects get transferred and then finally give up as Gentoo is too hard and go back to other linux distro's defeated. That is human nature.

And you know how much fun the kernel options can be and sensitive. The learnign curve and amount of learning in gentoo is too much for most folks.

This is a safe way to learn gentoo using SL as base and grow as you need too.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby albfneto » Mon May 18, 2009 16:51

Hi.
i have 4 installations of Sabayon in different comps, and i enjoy and use all the graphical interfaces (Fluxbox, KDE, GNOME, XFCE, LXDE, Compiz and Metisse)
Between these Sabayons, i have one installation in wich i installed the complete 4.0 ri, in the regular manner, i updated fully to the 4.1 release with entropy...
therefore, i have a Complete Sabayon,
is similar that i had installed both the Sabayon 4.1 GNOME and the KDE versions, together in the same installation

further, i updating it using only Portage with the Overlay Sabayon, and something with other Gentoo overlays, or SVN
it is not so easy for begginers, but runs...

Warra-Warra, your method for switch to Funtoo, GIT oriented is interesting...You said that is possible to switch, between Funtoo and Gentoo... what is the method for this?
Thanks....
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Tue May 19, 2009 5:32

see the funtoo manual on funtoo.org or http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php? ... yon-Funtoo
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby mpdefeo » Thu May 21, 2009 16:29

What use flags are recommended for compiling world packages?
mpdefeo
Young Hen

Next

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers