myspell-ru is not in sabayon repository - forgotten?

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

myspell-ru is not in sabayon repository - forgotten?

Postby cornolio » Sun May 03, 2009 18:23

Hi.

I was really surprised when I didn't find russian spellchecking dictionary for openoffice. There are a lot of languages presented and some a way smaller and I presume that it was just forgotten by error. Is it possible to add it because openoffice is better than koffice etc?

for me it's not critical any more because I solved usind good old emerge. but I'm pretty sure that some newbie who will give this distro a try and who will need this package for openoffice wouldn't bother bother to find a workaround.

and if it's possible would be nice to see in sabayon repository kopete-otr. for the moment you have kopete, pidgin and pidgin-otr but kopete is more configurable and more kde-thing.

Thanks for a nice disto
cornolio
Simple Hen

Re: myspell-ru is not in sabayon repository - forgotten?

Postby crisandbea » Sun May 03, 2009 18:29

cornolio wrote:Hi.

I was really surprised when I didn't find russian spellchecking dictionary for openoffice. There are a lot of languages presented and some a way smaller and I presume that it was just forgotten by error. Is it possible to add it because openoffice is better than koffice etc?

for me it's not critical any more because I solved usind good old emerge. but I'm pretty sure that some newbie who will give this distro a try and who will need this package for openoffice wouldn't bother bother to find a workaround.

and if it's possible would be nice to see in sabayon repository kopete-otr. for the moment you have kopete, pidgin and pidgin-otr but kopete is more configurable and more kde-thing.

Thanks for a nice disto

run equo update --force && equo install app-dicts/myspell-ru
crisandbea
Old Dear Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun May 03, 2009 22:57

The myspell-ru package is in the Sabayon Linux Entropy repository:

Code: Select all
# equo search myspell-ru
>>  @@ Searching...
>>   #1 Sabayon Linux Official Repository
>>      @@ Package: app-dicts/myspell-ru-20060316               branch: 4
>>        Available:            version: 20060316 ~ tag: NoTag ~ revision: 2
>>        Installed:            version: 20060316 ~ tag: NoTag ~ revision: 2
>>        Slot:                 0
>>        Homepage:             http://lingucomponent.openoffice.org/
>>        Description:          Russian dictionaries for myspell/hunspell
>>        License:              LGPL-2.1 myspell-ru_RU-ALexanderLebedev
>>  Keyword:    myspell-ru
>>  Found:      1 entries

However, note that the method of installing dictionaries has changed in OpenOffice 3.0 and onwards. You no longer install a myspell spelling package anymore. See the OpenOffice Wiki article http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Dictionaries for instructions. Basically, you have to use Tools > Extension Manager... and, if you're lucky the Russian dictionary extension will be listed, but if not you need to click on Get more extensions here... and then search on the browser's Extensions page for the relevant dictionary. Each dictionary is in a file that is downloaded to your HDD. The file type is OpenOffice Extension (.oxt); for example, the Portuguese dictionary I have installed via the Extension Manager is Vero_pt_BR_V203AOC.oxt and the Spanish dictionary I have installed via the Extension Manager is dict-es.oxt
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby cornolio » Mon May 04, 2009 16:25

to crisandbea

thanks for one more workaround but as I said no newbie will bother to find a way around.
if we have Spritz using sabayon repository it is logical to have it there otherwise one can do all the things via command line like the old good day.

anyway thanks again for your answer.

to Fitzcarraldo

I was trying this option with version prior to 3.0 and I was never licky so I had to download the specific file and... it never woked for me - maybe I did something wrong but at the end I just gave up. I'll try this at my workplace to see if anything changed (at home as I said I solved it already).

to all

and what about kopete-otr? is it going to be in repository one day?
cornolio
Simple Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon May 04, 2009 17:48

For spell checking in OpenOffice 2.*, the procedure is to install the package eselect-oodict and use the following command to show what language codes are installed:

# eselect oodict list

and then e.g.:

# eselect oodict set myspell-ru

Here is an example of what it could look like:

# eselect oodict list
Installed dictionary sources that can be set:
  [1]   myspell
    Installed language codes:
      de en eo es fr ga it nl pt ru
# eselect oodict set myspell-ru
#

You can safely unmerge the languages you don't need.

You can also do the following:

# eselect oodict --help

and it will tell you all the options you can use with eselect oodict. For example:

# eselect oodict unset myspell-nl

would un-configure the Dutch dictionary from use with OpenOffice 2.*.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon May 04, 2009 18:42

cornolio wrote:and what about kopete-otr? is it going to be in repository one day?

If you would like a package to be included in the Entropy repository then you can request it using the procedure defined in the following post: Requesting Packages for Entropy - New Policy
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers