Calculate Linux 9.5

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Calculate Linux 9.5

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri May 01, 2009 11:30

Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried the Gentoo-based Calculate Linux? A new version has just been released: Calculate Linux 9.5 Has Desktops In A Cube. If yes, is it any good?
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Calculate Linux 9.5

Postby joeoden » Sat May 02, 2009 3:38

Have tried on 3 machines

Via chipset, CPU Intel E2180, 2Gib Ram, graphic Nvidia 8500GT 1Gib
KWin 3D not working and when setting local time at start is plus 6 hours

Intel chipset, CPU P4 2Ghz, 1 Gib Ram, graphic Intel 845 Integrated
Same machine video card changed with Nvidia fx5 and ATI 9250
KWin 3D graphic, sound not working and and when setting local time at start is
plus 6 hours

HP C700 Notebook 2Gib Ram
KWin 3D graphic, sound, wireless not working and when setting local time at
start is plus 6 hours

Looks OK, bit of config to do if install to HD

I will stick with Sabayon
Joe
Desktop ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus, AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 5200, 4 Gb RAM, GeForce 9500 1GB
Notebook HP CQ61-311AX, AMD CPU M320, 4 Gb RAM, Radeon HD 4300 512 MB
Wireless AR9285, Audio ATI SBx00 (IDT 92hd75B2x5)
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once!
joeoden
Old Dear Hen

Location: Back in the 'swamp land' Moe, Australia 38°10′20″S 146°16′04″E

Postby WarraWarra » Sat May 02, 2009 17:48

Very nice and no spam vista kde rubish / old school kde look and feel 5* Just what the doctor ordered.

Git is active, not configured but can easily be added for gentoo as well as funtoo. Can git build and push upstream = nice.

Missing parts:
Only thing it needs is equo / entropy but with gentoo x86 / funtoo x86 higher number software "x86 gcc4.3.3" and equo ~x86 lower older "~x86 gcc4.3.2" as example = funky time mixing and matching and might have to use naendo or zenana so this defeats entropy bin packages idea that is older = constant source compiles.

Layout theme appearance:
Everything else looks and seems nice the 3.5POD in dvd'd format way but just up-to-date and installing "not tried yet to install" but can simply cp -avr /mnt/livecd/ /mnt/gentoo then remove a few livecd things or edit configs and grub-install = working system if the installer has issues as mentioned in above post. Can not see any spam or bloatware except for dvd size .iso .

Updating:
For me with my internet and the equo database constant new install issues port 1026/1027 related I have to rsync the packages.* = 400/500mb so might as well get git working and build and push the newer bin packages upstream with this waisted bandwidth etc etc etc so this can be a real option at least on 1 pc as alternative to SL.

Size:
It is just as oversized as win vista or SL and CLD @ 1.6gb for desktop + same as SL I have to get 400/500mb database download just to be able to update files "portage/git or equo packages.* " so still not a real solution to normal folks out there.
If the port 1026 / 1027 problem with ISP's or entropy was fixed SL would be the clear winner except for the Vista KDE instead of 3.5POD kde in current 4.1's

CD distro please:
There is nothing on any linux that justifies anything above cd size distro worth having as again I have to update and download and this defeats dvd all in one idea = no extra download need concept. If openoffice takes up too much space dump it from .iso's or replace with smaller office type software, most people only need word / text type software and can powerpoint or excel in google if needed or download later. Time for OpenOffice Lite edition.

KDE LITE:
Maybe one day all the linux distro's will stand together and force KDE to build a KDE LITE version then we can have cd distro's again.

Distrowtch.com:
I would not be surprised to see CLD beat us to the top of the distrowatch.com popularity list, entropy like GM / Chrysler cars is nice / cute but when functionality and usefulness steps in or is available persons migrate , like Ford's latest crocodile dinosaur attempt they will survive, GM dinosaur will not.

The user / customer makes the wheels go round and dinosaur's don't get it, just like me I don't get it :oops: :twisted:

CLD = 5* OS for me to keep.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Sat May 02, 2009 23:48

I see they found a way to load all modules at boot of livedvd and then after "caclulate install method" only 3 or 4 loads that is related to the installed system, similar to what Kodiak requested in SL 5.0 brainstorm post.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Return to Off Topic