an update to portage is available

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

an update to portage is available

Postby bryhawks » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:15

Howdy all!

Firstly I have always used RPM based distros and have toyed with the idea of Gentoo and the like... Well I made the switch and man did it take some time(there is no looking back now!), I started replacing my servers with Gentoo and then my desktops with Sabayon but I am digressing. I keep bumping into. 'an update to portage is available' so I start to update it but I notice that it starts downgrading packages then eventually seemed to break the desktop I am testing on. My question is what should I do with this and are there any great tips and tricks out there? I did do some searching but didn't really quite find a good answer. Thanks in advance and I must say that Sabayon 4.1 is pretty darn sexy!
bryhawks
Baby Hen

Re: an update to portage is available

Postby wolfden » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:21

wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby bryhawks » Sun Apr 19, 2009 15:19

Thanks for the reply Wolf... I found that post before I even installed and once I finished the install that was the first thing I did. Everything seems ok if I ignore the portage update, I can update, install new packages and so on. I just am not sure what to do about it. I reckon that at some point it may starting breaking. :)
bryhawks
Baby Hen

Postby arjay » Sun Apr 19, 2009 20:28

Same problem bryhawks. I emerged portage and it downgraded some things, which I then turned right around in entropy and updated again. I suppose I could mask what it wants to downgrade to until such time as any kinks are worked out, but it hasn't been a problem of anything breaking afterward for me. If it had, I would just use what I have until entropy complains, then back everything up, and finally emerge portage and layman sync. Entropy is still kind of new to me. Previously, I just used portage as in gentoo if I needed to do anything. Now however, I use entropy (equo) unless there is something I can't live without in portage that is not in entropy (rkhunter for example).

G'luck!
arjay
Simple Hen

Postby bryhawks » Sun Apr 19, 2009 22:27

Arjay,

That might be a good idea... I will give it a try when I get a chance, maybe a week or so before I get to it. In the interum I think I am going to grab a snapshot of my machine so if I do break it I can quickly plop it back in (I have configured this machine to be really sweet! Hate to lose all that work)! ;-)

By the way, I just have to say it again.. Thus far Sabayon is a very nice Gentoo alternative!
bryhawks
Baby Hen

Postby kodiakmax » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:40

It is not a good idea to mix entropy (equo/spritz) and portage(emerge/portato). You will most likely end up with a broken system unless you are careful and know what you are doing. You should try to stick to one package management system or the other.
If you check the wiki, use the search function and google you can find the answer to most of your questions.

Remember to mark your thread [Solved] if your issue is fixed.
kodiakmax
Advanced Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers