Feature Request Grub Management

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Feature Request Grub Management

Postby dsparil » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:20

I updated to the latest kernel with entropy, but I had to manually edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst to put the latest kernel at the top of the list. Moreover, removing old kernels does not remove the entries from the /boot/grub/menu.lst file. I believe it would be beneficial to have entropy edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file and do these edits when updating the kernel.

Out of curiosity, I recompiled the kernel with portage to see what would happen, but portage doesn't do what I want it to do either.

Thanks for your time.
dsparil
Young Hen

Re: [Feature Requestest] Grub Management

Postby Tvin » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:30

Gento/portage kernel upgrade guide - http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml :

You can also use extra parameters for other genkernel functionality. For example, if you wish to configure some extra kernel options using menuconfig and you wish genkernel to automatically update your grub boot loader configuration, then invoke genkernel as follows:
Code: Select all
genkernel --menuconfig --bootloader=grub all
Tvin
Simple Hen

Re: Feature Request Grub Management

Postby wolfden » Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:39

entropy should be adding new kernels to grub
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Feature Request Grub Management

Postby dsparil » Wed Apr 08, 2009 18:23

wolfden wrote:entropy should be adding new kernels to grub

New kernel entries are being added to grub, but the problem that I'm having is that it is added to the bottom of the list rather than to top. I edited /boot/grub/menu.lst to correct this manually.
dsparil
Young Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers