Feedback on Sabayon 3.1

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Feedback on Sabayon 3.1

Postby kennylog » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:22

hi guys,

wanted to let you know intel video is working fine with aiglx now, again i'm very thankful to you since now i can enjoy these effects on all my machines

keep up the good job :)

one thing: is there a way you could turn of the screenshot and zoom plugins by default, i found a solution by using the beryl-settings program in fluxbox, but i think lots of user would be puzzled, i was just lucky to think of fluxbox, anyway just trying to improve sabayon ;)
kennylog
Growing Hen

Postby lxnay » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:35

hey kennylog, you're the first indeed :D
thanks for your feedback, just mail me the beryl-settings stuff so I'll remember to do that for the next release (?).

And yes, now AIGLX on Intel Graphics works great... Yay!

tonight, the announcement.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby kolsyra » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:32

I can happily confirm this too, aiglx works slow but very well on an old intel 845 chipset on my desk.
Thanks again for this outstanding distro!
kolsyra
Young Hen

Postby lxnay » Mon Oct 09, 2006 13:26

On my i945... it works as fast as my other NVIDIA-powered PC... ;)
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby kolsyra » Mon Oct 09, 2006 13:38

Odd... very odd... but then again if mine was running fast and yours slow it would have been unfair :)
kolsyra
Young Hen

Postby lxnay » Mon Oct 09, 2006 13:53

using beryl-settings, try to disable zoom and screenshot plugin.
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby kolsyra » Mon Oct 09, 2006 14:47

That made it a little better but still not as good as I remember with my nvidia card at home. I think it boils down to a slow cpu/memory rig.

Just to be clear it works very very good when considering to what was to be expected on this computer. To get effects like this out of Vista (the same computer dual boots with Vista RC2) is unthinkable. Vista gave it the lowest possible rating on the built in rating scale!
kolsyra
Young Hen

Postby Goatee » Mon Oct 09, 2006 17:54

I give vista the lowest possible rating on my built in ratings scale!
Goatee
Sharecropper

Postby mars » Mon Oct 09, 2006 18:05

Finaly, I have the 3.1 mini on x86 working WITH AIGLX/BERYL in [email protected] on my dual-pentium3 CUV266D mobo. There's one Gb ram and a geforce fx5700 interacting with a 20Gb ide hdd here. It took me some time to find out that it was the cmi8738 pci soundcard that was choking my system as soon as it got something to do, most probably a hardware failure here. The box ran SuSE first, and seemed fine, running for hours, sometimes overnight, but then suddenly the system froze and only the mousepointer moved when i was lucky. Could not ssh into it, remote sessions to it were possible til system froze... Same problem with sabayon 3.0 a/e 3.0.5 and 3.1, so i threw the card out, and the system just works like a charm. No freeze anymore!

So now it is running just fine. I had to
Code: Select all
eselect opengl set nvidia
first, and indeed logged into a fluxbox session to run beryl-settings and disabled what was it; desktop-zoom and the other thingy... hehe, well disabled all the eyecandy, for the moment to switch it back on later.

I am absolutely impressed and want to say thank you to the developers for doing a fantastic job.
My experience with gentoo-based distributions was very little, I had just started to find out how gentoo worked as a friend told me of the existence of Sabayon.
I'll keep using it on this box here, just have to find a nice soundcard I think!

Kind regards,
Mars

Edit: After a test reinstall with the 3.1 dvd i forgot some things, so I thought X was screwed. Switched back to the cd and find things are a bit sensitive still.
Anyone interested let me know.

Edit:
After verifying that the 3.1cd works fine on my hardware, also with two ethernetcards in it (which i thought would be giving an irq-conflict but turns out it does not, lol) I have just (a pena) started the 3.1dvd again with these options:
sabayon installer-gui aiglx opengl=*nvidia res=1280x1024 refresh=70 lang=nl

Will let you people know later if it worked with *my systems* workarounds.
mars
Growing Hen

Postby mars » Sat Oct 14, 2006 23:07

Well there it is;

On my possibly rather old dual-pentium3 rig with 1Gb ram and a geforce fx5700 I have now got aiglx enabled with beryl running pretty good too.

What i had to do;

as posted before i booted with:
sabayon installer-gui aiglx opengl=*nvidia res=1280x1024 refresh=70 lang=nl

After the default install the system reboots and it takes kdm about a minute or two to load. A later executing of
fc-cache -f
does not help here.

Logging in to KDE fails due to a presumed crash of beryl. Logged in to fluxbox (e16 does work too) i can run
beryl-settings&
and have to disable just about everything that has anything to do with eyecandy like blur, shadows, focustrail et ce te ra, otherwise KDE will crash again.
So furthermore I do (as root)
eselect opengl show
which gives me
*nvidia

Then with
eselect opengl set nvidia
so after i started beryl-settingsmanager(!!!!!!!!!) I end the workaround and am now fully able to log in to kde.
Here the beryl-settings-manager is accessible again, and I can switch all options I want back on.

Dunno if this is any help to anyone, if my logfiles could help debug a bit more just let me know.
For now I am happy as a child the system works! :lol:
Kind regards,
mars
mars
Growing Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion