What do you think about the latest release 4.0?

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: What do you think about the latest release 4.0?

Postby Richlion » Thu Mar 26, 2009 22:24

Hi All,

can you people do us a little favour? Can you post your hardware details? If Sabayon works, I personnaly would like to know some details, not much, just like if it is an Nvidia card, which type it is? If sound card, what type is it? Quad processor, which type?

I tried 4.0 on an older IBM Netvista computer with a built in graphics card and I could not see anythnig but a black screen when I booted Sabayon Live DVD.

With 3.5.1 works, but still I have problems.

My graphics card is:
Inter Corp. 82845G/GL
Sybsystem - IBM Unknown device 027e

A strange thing with the sound card, I can control the volume, but not as loudspeakers, but with the KDE mixer earphone slide bar. So my Skype doesn't work with a microphone : Intel 82801DB-ICH4 with AD1981B at irq 17.
So if I press my volume button on my keyboard, it launches KMix, but the Volume control does not work. I have to use gnome-volume-control instead.

It is pretty annoying... So I am thinking of buying a new PC and it would be nice to know what hardware people have where Sabayon 4r1 works.

As for a working 4r1 version, I tried it on my laptop. Installation went fine, but I restored my KDE 3.5 settings into the KDE4.0 version (.kde) and from that point I kept having numerous problems with my desktop. KDE kept changnig my resulution, wouldn't save my settings, at one point KDE started the setting wizzard and completely screwed up everything I had, so I gave up and resinstalled 3.5.1 again. But that is probably more a KDE problem, not Sabayon. I was really dissapointed, becuase I spent so much time configuring my personal settings in KDE that it should be possible for KDE4 to be table to read the older verion and do some kind of an upgrade once 3.5.1 was restored.

*** Sabyon user since 2006 ***
Sabayon Linux amd64 13.03 - x86_64 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
KDE 4.10.1 - on Acer Aspire 7730 zg 17" with Nvidia Geforce 9300M GS
Technological Hen

Return to Off Topic