Best Portable mp3 player for linux

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Best Portable mp3 player for linux

Postby Stupot » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:06

I am going to be getting an mp3 player (iPod or the likes) and I want it to work well with linux.

The things I'm looking for are this:
- I want it to be small. I don't need video playback or a huge screen. It should fit into my pocket nicely.
- I want it to be fully featured.
- I want it to be compatible with linux.

Here's where I've run into issues:
- iPod (nano in my case) : I don't believe the genius feature works unless you're using iTunes. I don't want iTunes.
- Cowon iAudio 7: I really like this one and would get it right now...except it doesn't have playlists.

I know there are many more mp3 players out there and many of them are probably acceptable, as are the two I stated above. What portable mp3 players do you have experience with and what are the drawbacks to using them with linux?
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Re: Best Portable mp3 player for linux

Postby HansWurst » Thu Mar 05, 2009 13:48

I have a Sansa Clip. Love it, because its really really tiny with a small screen.Since it behaves like an USB-Stick it's really easy to use with Linux. The sound quality is enormously good, for the price. However, there's a minus: no mp4 support, which means no aac files. Price is around 40€. Happy searching ;)
HansWurst
Young Hen

Postby rview » Tue Mar 24, 2009 0:35

Sandisk is a very good choice, they have a few models. I have had an E260, for almost 3 years. Works perfectly and I've abused it (dropped, greasy, dirty, stepped on by a cow (in soft sand)). The E series like mine have a slot for memory upgrade, work as a good quality voice recorder, FM tuner, etc. The battery in this series is also user replaceable if it wears out (mine still holds close to full charge ~20 hours). They have good deals on refurbished ones once in a while. I just drag and drop files to the player, like a flash drive. It supports playlists but I've never used that. I'm looking at a bigger capacity Sansa Fuze as an upgrade (that model looks good too). A smaller one like the Clip would be a good choice. I haven't looked lately, but Creative was making good players too. ...my player also supports Rockbox, I used it for a while but ended up going back to factory, at the time I liked the factory better for voice recording.
rview
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 15:34

I ended up purchasing a Meizu Miniplayer after reading many different reviews. It just arrived in the mail yesterday and I'll post back here as to the easy of use with sabayon when I get the chance.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby manola » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:22

I know there are many more mp3 players out there and many of them are probably acceptable, as are the two I stated above.
sonnerie portable gratuite
manola
Baby Hen

Postby Thev00d00 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 13:10

I have an ipod (gen 5) classic 80gb, work s great. 8)
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Return to Off Topic