Strange things after updating the system with Spritz

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Strange things after updating the system with Spritz

Postby xipi » Sat Feb 28, 2009 22:12

After installing Sabayon 4.0 r1 x86-32, Spritz suggested me to update the packages in my system.

As per micia suggestion (viewtopic.php?f=76&t=16238&p=92674#p92674), I updated Spritz first, and it all went OK.

Though, after the installation of 300+ packages in my system, following problems appeared:

* It updated the kernel from 2.6.27 to 2.6.28. For the first one I had the sources in /usr/src/linux, or the kernel config at least (I could do make menuconfig), but now there is no sources and no kernel config. Is there any way in which I can download the kernel sources using spritz, and the configuration file for my current kernel? Why now /usr/src/linux is a symlink to a dir /usr/src/rpm?? What rpm stands for?? (Redhat Package Manager ¿?? What's got it to do with my kernel??)

* It broke dependencies for several applications I had emerged after clean installation of 4.0 r1 x86-32. For instance, I installed gnome-commander using an ebuild from its webpage, and proper instructions for emerging from ebuild files. Now it does not find a library on which it depends on, and does not start. I'm trying to solve it with revdep-rebuild, but don't really understand why Spritz did that: isn't entropy supposed to work consistently with portage?

* It installed an older version of Portage than the one I had (emerge told me so when doing "emerge --sync"). Is that normal? I emerged portage over again, but I wonder if one of these days Spritz will tell me over again that some packages are outdated in my system, and actually install an outdated version of portage. Isn't that crazy?
xipi
Young Hen

Re: Strange things after updating the system with Spritz

Postby wolfden » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:41

mixing package manager is not recommended unless you know what you are doing

/usr/src/linux should not be point to any place but your kernel

did you check your eselect kernel list with uname -r?

did you update the config files?

did you rebuild your modules?

equo --help
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby xipi » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:24

Thanks for your points.

wolfden wrote:mixing package manager is not recommended unless you know what you are doing

This is very bad news for me. I moved to Sabayon a little bit pissed of Gentoo, spending a lot of time to choose which packages to install and building my system from scratch. Sabayon works out-of-the-box, so my idea was to install it, and from that full-functionality point, go cleaning away from it all things that I saw that are not useful to me. Spritz also seems a good idea not to have to compile everything, so taking less time for maintenance tasks on the system. But knowing that Spritz might not act fully consistently with portage, I'll have to make a decission on what to use.

wolfden wrote:/usr/src/linux should not be point to any place but your kernel

did you check your eselect kernel list with uname -r?

No, I didn't, and that was the problem. The sources were there under /usr/src/$(uname -r), but I looked for them in /usr/src/linux, which Spritz changed to point to a strange location (to me) /usr/src/rpm. Solved now.

wolfden wrote:did you update the config files?

Yes, I did. Spritz presented me a list of config files to be updated, in a similar fashion as dispatch-conf, and I updated them all. But I don't see how that would have an impact on my dependency problems.

wolfden wrote:did you rebuild your modules?

Don't understand the question. You talking about kernel modules?

wolfden wrote:equo --help

I'll do it. Thanks.-
xipi
Young Hen

Postby albfneto » Mon Mar 02, 2009 15:54

it is possible to use the two installers, Portage and Entropy, for tests
For this, you may work with an particular, local overlay, or directory for Portage, and using masks in Portage and in entropy, for control the versions of the packages.
i have two installations of Sabayon in witch i use the two installers.
some problems that i observed after mixing are: Entropy suggests dowgrade as the "newer" package, and some blocked, masked, slot conflits or collision problems in Portage...
if you plain to test to use the two installers, i verified that is better to use Entropy for install the "entropy installers" packages,
for this, is better to use equo (entropy) to install entropy itself:
is better to use:

equo update
equo install equo

instead to use:

emerge --sync
emerge equo

with equo installed using equo (entropy system) itself, you can have minor problems mixing the installers...
i verified also, that for many regular, general packages, the use of Entropy (equo command) is much more easy,
and the pre-compiled binaries have pratically the same efficiency in execution....
in particular for large packs, as KDE, as OpenOffice, as GNOME, is more practical to use Entropy, since the compilation of for example, and entire KDE ambient is time consuming...
Also, the new Sabayon version is Entropy oriented.
Sabayon is a very interesting Linux, including for Gentoo users...
ALBERTO FEDERMAN NETO
albfneto
[email protected]
Favorite Distros: Sabayon, Gentoo, Mageia and OpenSUSE
albfneto
Sagely Hen

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers