gscan2pdf (good app.) and how to install using local overlay

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: gscan2pdf (good app.) and how to install using local overlay

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Sat Feb 21, 2009 20:53

Notice the file sizes. Delete the second one and rename the first one.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Sat Feb 21, 2009 20:57

Which version of portage have you got installed? Here's what I have installed:

Code: Select all

[I] sys-apps/portage
     Available versions:  [P]2.1.1-r2 2.1.4.5 2.1.6.4 (~)2.1.6.7 [M](~)2.2_rc20 [M](~)2.2_rc23 {build doc elibc_FreeBSD elibc_glibc elibc_uclibc epydoc linguas_pl selinux userland_GNU}
     Installed versions:  2.1.6.7(23:36:34 31/01/09)(-build -doc -epydoc -linguas_pl -selinux)
     Homepage:            http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/index.xml
     Description:         Portage is the package management and distribution system for Gentoo

exsencon
Young Hen

Post by exsencon » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:20

Portage is 2.1.6.7
And deleted the smallest file in distfiles and renamed the other gtkimageview-1.6.3.tar.gz?format=raw
Redid a manifest:
localhost gtkimageview # ebuild gtkimageview-1.6.3.ebuild manifest
Refetching... File renamed to '/usr/portage/distfiles/gtkimageview-1.6.3.tar.gz?format=raw._checksum_failure_.Ywqu7k'
Then it tries to download it from several mirrors and finally got it from the right site but got:

>>> Downloading 'http://trac.bjourne.webfactional.com/attachment/wiki/WikiStart/gtkimageview-1.6.3.tar.gz?format=raw'
--2009-02-22 00:44:53--  http://trac.bjourne.webfactional.com/attachment/wiki/WikiStart/gtkimageview-1.6.3.tar.gz?format=raw
Resolving trac.bjourne.webfactional.com... 67.15.84.19
Connecting to trac.bjourne.webfactional.com|67.15.84.19|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 Ok
Length: 1087939 (1.0M) [application/x-tar]
Saving to: `/usr/portage/distfiles/gtkimageview-1.6.3.tar.gz?format=raw'

100%[======================================>] 1,087,939    276K/s   in 4.7s

2009-02-22 00:44:59 (227 KB/s) - `/usr/portage/distfiles/gtkimageview-1.6.3.tar.gz?format=raw' saved [1087939/1087939]

('Filesize does not match recorded size', 1087939L, 9965)
!!! Fetched file: gtkimageview-1.6.3.tar.gz?format=raw VERIFY FAILED!
!!! Reason: Filesize does not match recorded size
!!! Got:      1087939
!!! Expected: 9965
Refetching... File renamed to '/usr/portage/distfiles/gtkimageview-1.6.3.tar.gz?format=raw._checksum_failure_.75UJia'

!!! Couldn't download 'gtkimageview-1.6.3.tar.gz?format=raw'. Aborting.
Then it proposes an ebuild --force which I did. Again it tries downloading and get it from:

>>> Downloading 'http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/gentoo/distfiles/gtkimageview-1.6.3.tar.gz?format=raw'
--2009-02-22 00:46:42--  http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/gentoo/distfiles/gtkimageview-1.6.3.tar.gz?format=raw
Resolving gd.tuwien.ac.at... 192.35.244.50
Connecting to gd.tuwien.ac.at|192.35.244.50|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/.admin/missing/server.php?name=GD.TUWIEN.AC.AT [following]
--2009-02-22 00:46:42--  http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/.admin/missing/server.php?name=GD.TUWIEN.AC.AT
Connecting to gd.tuwien.ac.at|192.35.244.50|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: unspecified [text/html]
Saving to: `/usr/portage/distfiles/gtkimageview-1.6.3.tar.gz?format=raw'

[ <=>                                   ] 9,965       --.-K/s   in 0.05s

2009-02-22 00:46:42 (213 KB/s) - `/usr/portage/distfiles/gtkimageview-1.6.3.tar.gz?format=raw' saved [9965]

>>> Creating Manifest for /usr/local/portage/media-gfx/gtkimageview
Note the same much smaller file(9965)After that the merge fails

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
 * ERROR: media-gfx/gtkimageview-1.6.3 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_unpack
 *             environment, line 2597:  Called unpack '../temp/gtkimageview-1.6.3.tar.gz'
 *               ebuild.sh, line  372:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *                                      tar zoxf "${srcdir}${x}" ${tar_opts} || die "$myfail"
 *  The die message:
 *   failure unpacking ../temp/gtkimageview-1.6.3.tar.gz
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/lib/entropy/logs/media-gfx:gtkimageview-1.6.3:20090222-004750.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-gfx/gtkimageview-1.6.3/temp/environment'.
 * This ebuild is from an overlay: '/usr/local/portage/'
It is really going in circles;when I download the file and put it in distfiles and do the ebuild the file doesn't match; when it downloads it apparently is the wrong file.

When I did the ebuild for sane-pixma I had to put the file manually in distfiles but after that it worked.Here I am just going in circles. something is wrong but I don't know what.

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:45

exsencon wrote:something is wrong but I don't know what.
That makes two of us. Boy, you're really having a rough time with this. Hang in there, though, because you need to sort this out otherwise you'll probably have trouble merging some other packages in future and you won't know why. Actually, I think this is the same problem that SL x86 edition user xipi was having when he was trying to merge a different package. Try adding the following to your /etc/make.conf file (to make it like mine as far as the mirrors are concerned):

GENTOO_MIRRORS="ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/gentoo/ http://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/gentoo http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/gentoo/"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
Just put that at the end of the file later than the existing GENTOO_MIRRORS assignment, don't delete your existing GENTOO_MIRRORS assignment. This new assignment of the environment variable later in the file will just override the earlier one.

Then, just to make sure your portage tree is all up to date, do the following as root:

emerge --sync
emerge portage
layman -S
Then delete all the gtkimageview* files in /usr/portage/distfiles/ and try running the ebuild command again to create the manifest.

exsencon
Young Hen

Post by exsencon » Sun Feb 22, 2009 14:37

Hey,hey,hey!
So I did as you said and tried again to manifest and merge-same error:file size does not match.
Then I deleted the manifest in /usr/local/portage/media-gfx/gtkimageview/ and tried again to make a new manifest.
It did and I did emerge-it worked!!!
Going to do the others now-hold on!

exsencon
Young Hen

Post by exsencon » Sun Feb 22, 2009 15:21

Yeah!
I deleted all the old files in distfiles,deleted all the old manifests,manifested the files again and merged-a beauty!
So I really have the same problem as user xipi(I read the whole post) with the thing just keeping giving me the wrong
a)site to download from
b)the wrong file
The gentoo mirrors addition certainly did the trick. happy again :lol:
Just wonder if this is some kind of bug that affects some users(well so far we are two and that's not a crowd-yet)It seems to affect the x86 distro,not the x86-64.
Thanks a lot Fitzcarraldo(Herzog?,Kinski?) for hanging in there with me

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Sun Feb 22, 2009 15:41

I expect the problem has not been noticed by many people because most SL users these days seem to be using Entropy instead of Portage (it feels a bit lonely being a Portage user these days :wink: ). Yes, it does look like a problem with the x86 edition (/etc/make.conf, to be specific).

Anyway, glad you got there in the end. Have fun with gscan2pdf.

exsencon
Young Hen

Post by exsencon » Sun Feb 22, 2009 15:49

just a quick question:Can I use entropy together with portage?

Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Post by Fitzcarraldo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:36

Well, the official line is to choose one package manager and stick with it but, if you know what you are doing, then yes you can. But you really must understand how Portage and Entropy work otherwise you could end up in trouble. See for example the thread Equo / Portage update confusion. You need to read, then read some more. Study the chapters in the Gentoo Handbook on Portage and the Gentoolkit, and also the articles on Portage and Entropy in the SL Wiki. Also read the various threads in the SL Forums about Entropy, and the various 'sticky' threads with FAQs etc. That said, if you stick to Entropy for packages that are in the Entropy repository, and use Portage for local ebuilds that are not in the Entropy repository, you are unlikely to run into trouble (unless you start tinkering with USE flags in /etc/make.conf).

exsencon
Young Hen

Post by exsencon » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:39

Hmm, I read some of it and I'll stick with portage for the time being.I have a working system now and and want to keep it that way. Better be on the safe side. Thanks