Postby wolfden » Tue Feb 17, 2009 23:42

rm /usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so.1

emerge sane-pixma
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Cannot install ebuilds in Sabayon 4

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 17:49

exsencon,

Are you sure you need to install the local ebuild you are trying to install? I don't have it installed but I have the following files already on my laptop as part of the sane backends:

Code: Select all
[email protected] ~ $ locate libsane-pixma
/usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so.1.0.19
/usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so
/usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.so.1
/usr/lib/sane/libsane-pixma.la
[email protected] ~ $

The sane-backends package was installed when I installed SL from the 4.0-r1 LiveDVD:

Code: Select all
[email protected] ~ $ eix sane-backends
[I] media-gfx/sane-backends
     Available versions:  1.0.17 1.0.18-r6 1.0.19-r1 (~)1.0.19-r2 {doc gphoto2 ipv6 usb v4l}
     Installed versions:  1.0.19-r2(17:29:40 31/01/09)(gphoto2 ipv6 usb v4l -doc)
     Homepage:            http://www.sane-project.org/
     Description:         Scanner Access Now Easy - Backends

[email protected] ~ $

See also the SANE Web site page on supported devices: SANE - Supported Devices. It lists your printer MP520 (and mine MP510) as supported already!

Unfortunately I won't be back at home until the weekend and so cannot plug-in my Canon MP510 to my laptop to try and see if XSane can use the MFP's scanner, but it appears that the support is already there. See also the Web page SANE sane-pixma.5
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby exsencon » Wed Feb 18, 2009 22:53

Are you sure you need to install the local ebuild you are trying to install? I don't have it installed but I have the following files already on my laptop as part of the sane backends:

I was away today.
Yes I know and I have those same files you mentioned but it didn't work. Xsane couldn't find a scanner (connected) until I installed the ebuild. And I really thought it would work without it since those files are there,but,no.

I followed Wolfden and removed the collision file libsane-pixma.so.1(which is one of the sane-backend files) and then the ebuild installs and the scanner works(Thanks Wolfden!)
Another way to do it is downgrading sane-backends from 1.0.19-r2 to 1.0.17 and that probably works because the older version doesn't need the libsane-pixma.so.1 file.
Let me know if your scanner works "off the shelf" and if it does tell me how you do it!
exsencon
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 19:01

OK, I'm back at home. Powered up laptop and booted SL. Plugged in USB cable from Canon Pixma MP510 into laptop. Launched XSane and it recognised the scanner and I was able to scan a page without any trouble. Launched gscan2pdf and it recognised the scanner and I was able to scan a page without any trouble.

So I didn't have to install the local ebuild; sane-backends-1.0.19-r2 works with the Canon Pixma MP510 out-of-the-box/off-the-shelf on my laptop.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Re: Cannot install ebuilds in Sabayon 4 [Solved]

Postby exsencon » Fri Feb 20, 2009 21:30

?! Well...
The only thing I can say is ...cheers.
Maybe there is a difference between MP510 and MP520 although they look so close.I did exactly the same thing as you did but no luck,that's why I did the ebuild. Anyway that works so I guess we'll leave it at that.Maybe I'll try gscan2pdf.
exsencon
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Feb 20, 2009 22:21

As you say, the MP510 and MP520 are very similar, and I'd put money on the MP520 working with my installation, especially as the SANE documentation says it is supported. Without comparing in depth the two installations side-by-side it's difficult to know why mine works and your's doesn't. All I can say is that my installation is the x86_64 edition of SL 4.0-r1 installed from the LiveDVD and the only thing I did after installing it was to edit the source directory specified in /etc/entropy/layman.cfg to match the source directory specified in /etc/make.conf and /etc/layman/layman.cfg (which I think has absolutely no bearing on this SANE issue), plus do an equo update, equo world, emerge --sync, emerge portage and layman -S, configure my usual applications, and install a few additional packages such as Thunderbird, etc. (from Portage ebuilds, SL overlay ebuilds, local ebuilds, and maybe one or two from the Entropy repository too). Have you installed a lot of packages? Perhaps one of those is responsible? If you do a revdep-rebuild --pretend (Gentoolkit) you will see how many packages are broken, but safely without actually rebuilding anything. Anyway, if you've got the scanner working now by merging a local ebuild then my advice would be to leave well alone (which I think is your intention anyway?), rather than risk breaking anything. It's working, after all.

As for gscan2pdf, it's an excellent application and, if you have the scanner working with XSane, it should also work with gscan2pdf. If you do decide to install it then you'll also need to use a local ebuild (see viewtopic.php?f=54&t=11875 for details on installing gscan2pdf - make sure you install the latest version as described in the second post in that thread).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby exsencon » Sat Feb 21, 2009 14:50

Thanks for your explanations.
i tried to install gscan2pdf but it does not work; downloaded the files(latest version) and made the manifests OK so far.
tried to merge gtkimageview(the first one to merge,I believe) but it failed.

Creating Manifest for /usr/local/portage/media-gfx/gtkimageview
localhost gtkimageview # emerge -1v gtkimageview

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
* ERROR: media-gfx/gtkimageview-1.6.3 failed.
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 49: Called src_unpack
* environment, line 2598: Called unpack '../temp/gtkimageview-1.6.3.tar.gz'
* ebuild.sh, line 372: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* tar zoxf "${srcdir}${x}" ${tar_opts} || die "$myfail"
* The die message:
* failure unpacking ../temp/gtkimageview-1.6.3.tar.gz

FYI I have the Sn 4.0 x84 edition.
Installed the sane-pixma ebuild as you know and Thunderbird(no problems there) that's all.
I did a revdep-rebuild --pretend and got 3 broken packages,I don't know if it is relevant for my problem

[ 34% ] * broken /usr/kde/3.5/lib/kde3/libaudiocd_encoder_lame.so (requires libkio.so.5)
[ 45% ] * broken /usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.3.2/libgij.la (requires /usr/lib/libgcj.la)
* broken /usr/lib/gcj-4.3.2-9/libjvm.la (requires /usr/lib/libgcj.la)
[ 100% ]
* Generated new 3_broken.rr

At the end it says:

[blocks b ] <app-admin/gamin-0.1.10 ("<app-admin/gamin-0.1.10" is blocking app-admin/gam-server-0.1.10)
[blocks b ] <app-admin/gamin-0.1.10 ("<app-admin/gamin-0.1.10" is blocking dev-libs/libgamin-0.1.10-r2)

!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs:0

('ebuild', '/', 'sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.3-r1', 'merge') pulled in by
~sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.3 required by ('installed', '/', 'sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41.3-r1', 'nomerge')
(and 3 more)

('ebuild', '/', 'sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.4', 'merge') pulled in by
>=sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.0 required by ('installed', '/', 'app-crypt/mit-krb5-1.6.3-r4', 'nomerge')
>=sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41 required by ('ebuild', '/', 'sys-apps/util-linux-2.14.2', 'merge')
sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs required by ('installed', '/', 'x11-libs/libSM-1.1.0', 'nomerge')

!!! The following installed packages are masked:
- sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41.3-r1 (masked by: package.mask)
For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

* Warning: Failed to resolve package order.
* Will merge in arbitrary order
Possible reasons:
- An ebuild is no longer in the portage tree.
- An ebuild is masked, use /etc/portage/packages.keyword
and/or /etc/portage/package.unmask to unmask it
* All prepared. Starting rebuild
emerge --oneshot --pretend kde-base/kdemultimedia-kioslaves:3.5
sys-devel/gcc:4.3

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-kioslaves-3.5.10
[ebuild U ] sys-devel/gcc-4.3.3 [4.3.2] USE="-nopie%"
* Now you can remove -p (or --pretend) from arguments and re-run revdep-rebuil

I don't know what to think of this. Maybe I should go ahead and revdep-rebuild? On the other hand everything seems to be working OK now as far as I can tell!
exsencon
Young Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sat Feb 21, 2009 15:17

My advice would be to not bother doing a revdep-rebuild if everything is working to your satisfaction. Let's discuss in the gscan2pdf thread your problem with installing gscan2pdf; I'll copy your post over to that thread.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Previous

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers