fresh install update broke python (file too short)

Anything that pertains to Entropy, Equo or Sulfur

Moderator: Moderators

Re: fresh install update broke python (file too short)

Postby m0rgoth » Mon Jan 12, 2009 19:42

ok i'm gonna retry this one more time with a new iso of sabayon 4.1 x86_64

i ll certainly repost on this thread the error message when the bug occurs again, cause that was the process i previously follow to update my distrib
m0rgoth
Baby Hen

Postby m0rgoth » Mon Jan 12, 2009 20:08

Code: Select all
cp /var/tmp/entropy/packages/amd64/4/dev-lang:python-2.5.2-r8~2.tbz2/image/usr/lib64/libpython2.5.so /usr/lib
cp /var/tmp/entropy/packages/amd64/4/dev-lang:python-2.5.2-r8~2.tbz2/image/usr/lib64/libpython2.5.so.1.0 /usr/lib

works well to repair, i try to full update, sync, etc
m0rgoth
Baby Hen

Postby m0rgoth » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:04

yeah got same error \o/

install latest python and only that after a fresh install and get :

/usr/bin/python: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libpython2.5.so.1.0: file too short

cause of bus error during install, gonna do a bug report... and go back to my opSuse imo ;)

not fan of auto breaker updater, emerge helps me a lot indead ;p
m0rgoth
Baby Hen

Postby m0rgoth » Tue Jan 13, 2009 17:09

okay no responses...

if, you community, don't care about users returns i don't think sabayon yould become very popular ;x

cheer u and bye, hope you're next update won't break you re system ;)
m0rgoth
Baby Hen

Postby Stupot » Tue Jan 13, 2009 21:53

What sort of response is appropriate when you say
cause of bus error during install, gonna do a bug report... and go back to my opSuse imo

not fan of auto breaker updater, emerge helps me a lot indead ;p

?

The Sabayon community is great and we help out all over the place when we can, but if we don't know what's causing your problem, you posting that you still have the problem isn't going to fix it. I would suggest trying the IRC chat sometime, as there are people there who can be of immediate assistance. I would also suggest not implying that we don't care about the community while there. It's not very nice and won't get you any better results.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby hojuruku » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:21

This problem has been the bane of my existance for at least a year with Sabayon. I just do a layman -s sabayon and rely on emerge after a fresh install. I just gave up.

Seriously don't bash the new users for giving up on this in desperation. I've seen it too. It's a replicatable defect.

I am an experiened linux user who has many many years experience with Gentoo. I'm assuring lxnay (yes I loved his RR4 disk) that there is a defect here. I don't know how the maintainers are using entropy but I just installed Sabayon 4.1 - and did a equo update; equo install equo; equo world and it was all over just like the above when merging python. Of course i fixed it by using the package files using bzip and tar... but that's not the point.

Why can't equo just fork a shell script to upgrade python which doesn't depend on the python libs? Why is python dying during the upgrade of itself. Somehow portage has been doing it for years without problems.

If you guys fix this, I'll make a network install script I was thinking of for people with linodes and the like. ;) I've been meaning to do that for a while.

Cheers,

Luke
hojuruku
Baby Hen

Postby hojuruku » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:34

also what most of what i do needs different use flags anyway so i've got to recompile. At some point it should be a priority for portage and entropy to play nice together. I know that's underway keep up the good work and get us all making our own binary repositories then Gentoo linux will be ready for the masses.

Luke
hojuruku
Baby Hen

Postby hojuruku » Sat Feb 07, 2009 14:24

It looks like the problem here wasn't equo. It was portage.

If you install gentoo's portage (emerge world / emerge portage) your going to get this error. The solution is to go back to equo's version of portage: equo install portage.

It's a bad habit gentoo users have after an install to do an emerge portage before emerging anything else. I still think portage is reminding us to do it when we use it!

Thanks to "tooIwonder|too" from the chat for pointing this out to me.

When my system comes back up from a rescue I'm looking forwards to be able to update equo for the FIRST time ever. I had this problem before when I went to sabayon from gentoo after taking in the sabayon overlay. That's why this has plagued me for so long.

Cheers guys.

luke
hojuruku
Baby Hen

Postby lxnay » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:55

I never had such issue on ALL my Sabayon installations. I've never been able to reproduce it. I also ran an equo world from 3.5 Mini to 4.0 just to test everything out.
Anyway, this doesn't mean I am not interested in solving that, in fact, I already started working on it discussing with Portage developers, where although the same techniques are used to install stuff, the error doesn't happen (like it never happened to me using entropy).
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby Iwonder|too » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:00

dude the problem is not with anything but user error,,if you would make use of good sabayon practice and not mix portage and entropy(choose one or the other) and make use of good portage habits and check everything out before you do it(you do realise portage has switches to pretend and ask and such?) you won't encounter near as many problems,,as I told you in chat,,just knowing how to search packages and type "emerge" does not mean you know what you are doing,,use caution,,pretend your changes,,if in doubt ask someone.

P.S. if you're going to use my nick ,,be sure to say what I said,,not some half-a**ed paraphrase,thx

Iwonder|too
Iwonder|too
Baby Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Entropy|Equo|Rigo Package Managers