Question about Portage v. Entropy

Anything that pertains to Portage

Moderator: Moderators

Question about Portage v. Entropy

Postby d1universe » Wed Jan 14, 2009 20:04

Hello!

This is my first post, and I'm slightly worried that it may have already been answered in depth somewhere else. If this is the case, my deepest apologies, but I tried multiple keyword searches both here and on the wiki, and I couldn't find it. I may have looked right over it. >.>

Anyways, I just installed sabayon the other day, and I'm just now getting around to customizing all of my package options. Based on what I have read, it is very bad juju to mix the two package management systems. As I have prior experience with portage (and I prefer to do source compilations vs. binaries) I would like to switch to using just portage. My question is this:

What exactly is required to implement full use of the portage system, and then get it to recompile all the previously installed entropy packages?

I have read all the articles on the process of emerge world, it's just I haven't quite gotten a clear answer as to whether or not entropy must be uninstalled, and if it must, will portage recognize all packages installed by entropy when it runs emerge world.

Thanks for any and all help. =P

Nathan
d1universe
Baby Hen

Re: Question about Portage v. Entropy

Postby WarraWarra » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:02

http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=En:Entropy

Okay you want to build packages from scratch then
emerge --help
should give you some more options.
equo can be there and can be used to recognize emerge / portage changes as portage I think is not yet able to see anything else but will read versions and packages isntalle dby equo or something like this.

equo database gentoosync

Most of the time if you want to update your whole installation then
emerge -u world
or
equo world --upgrade
should be able to do the job.

If you want to reinstall all packages installed then
emerge world
or
equo install world

You can also do a system only update and not extra stuff like amarok or others non esential to the running enviroment liek addon open office chat programs will then be excluded.

Hope this helps.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Re: Question about Portage v. Entropy

Postby wolfden » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:51

if you want to compile - do core install - edit configs you need - rebuild system than build on top of that. Otherwise you have to edit configs, rebuild system. By doing core install, you will save yourself a lot of bloat and get a leaner system.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Return to Portage|Emerge Package Managers