Reviewing Sabayon 4 !

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Reviewing Sabayon 4 !

Postby Dark Star » Wed Jan 14, 2009 15:06

Hi
I have recently got an offer from an Indian Linux Magazine to review Sabayon 4.. I'll be getting the DVD's in a day or 2.. But before I review I would like to know few things..

1. What are the unique futures of Sabayon ?
2 . Where I can get more info about Sabayon history .. ?
3. Will my system AMD X3 8650 with AMD 790 GX board having ATI HD 3300 based graphics be able to run Compiz out of the box ?
4. Any additional things I need to keep in mind before reviewing .. I have reviewed quite a lot of distro and have much linux experience .. So hoping for doing a good review..

Waiting to see if Sabayon work flawlessly in my PC :)

Apart from that did Sabayon has its own repositories like Ubuntu/Mandriva and others ? Will I get system updates or need to depend on rolling release ?

Waiting for response :)

Will share the pdf after getting the review published :D

Hoping for best,,
Regards
Dark Star
Simple Hen

Re: Reviewing Sabayon 4 !

Postby Stupot » Wed Jan 14, 2009 16:26

Have a look at the Sabayon wiki. It's got most of the information you've requested (plus a bunch you didn't ask about).

http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby Dark Star » Wed Jan 14, 2009 17:59

Yep will read it but few features that are Sabayon unique // ? I loved the new Artwork though :)
Dark Star
Simple Hen

Postby DHalens » Wed Jan 14, 2009 18:56

To your questions, in my opinion and if i remember correctly...
  1. Unique features of sabayon:
    1. the package manager (including tools for manage your own repository both with cli and gui): entropy (see http://www.sabayonlinux.org/pages/show/id/63 for more details of the whole project).
    2. hardware detection capabilities: graphic cards works ootb and also, it has better than other distros such as ubuntu (according with distrowatch, see two paragraphs before installation screenshot -> http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080721)
    3. artwork
    4. speed: even having a huge amount of apps, sabayon is still so fast
  2. No idea about the history of the distro...
  3. It should work ootb but i think there was an issue with some ati cards so be sure to download 4-r1 and remember to click on update installer in the installer.
  4. Others (can't remember anything additional to keep in mind so i'll just write other good things):
    1. Devels really listen to users: you can request packages or give your opinion about how anything is done and be sure they'll take a look.
    2. Community is good and friendly.
Former Sabayon staff (retired).
For any personal questions or whatever, contact me trough my G+ profile
DHalens
Old Dear Hen

Postby Dark Star » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:56

How many version Sabayon has ? I have heard of Mini [that I used sometimes ago] and DVD.. Recently I saw a blog post saying LITE MCE ? :roll:

Did Sabayon include XBMC [Media Center] ?
Dark Star
Simple Hen

Postby DHalens » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:39

You can see the releases sabayon has had in http://forum.sabayonlinux.org/viewforum.php?f=60 or in a easier to read table in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabayon_Linux#Releases
The main version is the dvd. Mini was the cd version; Pod was a cd version not including portage (i think it has other reasons for the different name but can't remember); MCE will be a media center edition including xbmc (see http://wgo.wolf911.us/?p=76 for a little preview).
Former Sabayon staff (retired).
For any personal questions or whatever, contact me trough my G+ profile
DHalens
Old Dear Hen

Postby Dark Star » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:23

Got the DVD everything working perfectly except the Screen Resolution..

I am having 19": TFT LCD which is suppose to have 1440X900 reso. but I am getting 1024X768 despite the fact ATI drivers are installed :)

Few queries. Sabayon has Compiz working out of the box. But the reflection isn't configured perfectly or is it my ATI card ? Will take the settings from MDV CCSM.. and wth you guys have included GTK ver. of CCSM that didn't display Menu icons in KDE>.

Apart from that I liked the initials.. Loved the songs and idea of implementing at the boot./ .. NO XBMC though in the DV sent to me.. Have Sabayon 4 r1 :(

Rest ok.. Please let me know how to configure resolution and there are black borders in windows while doing in compiz..

Regards
Dark Star
Simple Hen

Postby lxnay » Thu Jan 15, 2009 14:49

Screen resolution magic is done by the video driver. So, I suppose fglrx (proprietary AMD driver) doesn't either set it correctly or read it correctly or your display contains bad EDID information.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby Dark Star » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:34

But Mandriva and Fedora has no problem in setting it up right.. Though Ubuntu failed to do it :p
Dark Star
Simple Hen

Postby lxnay » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:11

It depends on the driver version. Mandriva & friends probably don't use the AMD proprietary driver, we do.
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Next

Return to Off Topic