Welcome to the Four-Point-Oh Portal

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

Welcome to the Four-Point-Oh Portal

Postby wolfden » Sat Dec 06, 2008 17:51

Here we are, just right before Christmas, your favourite Linux distribution got a new look! Discover it!

On the behalf of our Crew, I am proud to announce the first public release of the new Sabayon Linux Portal. A completely rewritten from scratch interface with the aim to improve the interaction between us and YOU. This is just the beginning of what we have in the oven for Christmas, like every year, we love cooking wonderful cakes (also known as "releases"). So, if you feel our efforts are worth a donation, please do it now! If you think this is not enough, come back here in January, just to say two (read: teaser), Instant Messaging, Blogging. If you feel happy, drop a line here below. If you feel more than happy, drop two. Here is a list of cool things you can try out, better if logged in (some features are hidden otherwise).

Your Dashboard
Your Pinboard
Your Personal Pastebin
Your Online Packages and Entropy User Generated Content Browser
The New Download Page
The New Screenshots Page

2 months of work, 10000 lines of code, and it's just the beginning. I couldn't wait to trash the old and dusted website, you may know the feeling.

Thank you NLnet Foundation, which made it possible.

Fabio Erculiani

-----------------------------End Message-----------------------------

I'm posting this here because some only use the forums, but if you haven't noticed, sabayonlinux.org has a brand new look in the quest to SabayonLinux 4.0. Not only does it have a new look, but it is full of great freatures, be sure to try it out. I know some are running into IRC asking where the download is for 4.0, but it hasn't been released yet. This is only a change of looks and features, not the release. The team is still working hard on preparing a 4.0 iso file.

Staus so far - still in production - Core Team will have first round of testing than the next release after that is schedule for Public Beta testing. We do not have a set number of loops that will be tested, so final will get here when it gets here. So basically loop1 will go to Core Team, loop2 will go out for Public testing. We will have a special spot on the forum again like last time where users can give us feedback. Do keep in mind that this all can change without notice.

A big question is KDE4 - which version will we ship with? We are planning on keeping 3.5.10 with KDE4 in the repo as KDE4 just isn't complete nor stable enough. So you can still have the best of both worlds if you are a KDE fan. You can simply install KDE4 via the package manager. We wanted to go KDE4 as default, but there is just too many issues yet.

As far as the rest of the site still having the old look, have patience as it's all slowly getting converted in time.

If you can please toss a donation to Fabio for christmas, please do so. http://sabayonlinux.org/donate

:santa:
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Welcome to the Four-Point-Oh Portal

Postby Dark Star » Sat Dec 06, 2008 19:32

Cool. Looking forward to 4.0 :) Best of luck.. Please use KDE 4.1.3 or 4.2[if possible it will be too late though] . as KDE 3 is obsolete and doesn't provide experience as KDE 4 ,

Currently using Mandriva 2009.0 with KDE 4.1.3 :D
Dark Star
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Dec 06, 2008 19:44

kde 3.5.x is not obsolete - still developed and supported
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby lxnay » Sun Dec 07, 2008 15:04

Dark Star wrote:Cool. Looking forward to 4.0 :) Best of luck.. Please use KDE 4.1.3 or 4.2[if possible it will be too late though] . as KDE 3 is obsolete and doesn't provide experience as KDE 4 ,

Currently using Mandriva 2009.0 with KDE 4.1.3 :D

What experience?
The experience to NOT FIND a Printer manager perhaps, or the experience of being unable to uncompress a stupid zip file without having to make >10 clicks or firing up a terminal? Or are you talking about the "experience" of seeing Plasma using around 20% of my RAM (6Gigs)?
So, explain the meaning of "experience"

:roll:
Join us on IRC (chat.freenode.net #sabayon or WebChat)
Submit bugs to our Bug Tracker
Follow me on Twitter
Add me on Facebook
Add me on Google+
lxnay
Land Owner

Postby Digit » Mon Dec 08, 2008 16:52

frankly from what i've seen of kde4, i'm apauled it's even considered... or was even created in the first place... maybe i'm just missing something really cool about it... but it looked to me from my experience like utter squanderous bloat abandon, and missing features that 3.5 has!

3.5er all the way. uncharacteristicly conservative of me.

*giddy with curious anticipation*

eep, next time i'm back in sabayon [/ubuntu on laptop], i'll get on the case of adding those themes, i've had my own arbritrary deadlines to deal with.
educate yourself so you may educate others.

we are one.
Digit
Baby Hen

Location: The Sovereign State of My Mostly Brown Slip-On Shoes

Postby DontPanic » Tue Dec 09, 2008 18:07

Digit wrote:3.5er all the way. uncharacteristicly conservative of me.

I can only hope most users will have the same attitude. :D
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L - Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750@ 2.66GHz
nVidia GeForce 7600 GS
2 GB RAM
DontPanic
Old Dear Hen

Postby WarraWarra » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:15

It is wow / a shock but grows on you quite fast.
Might be a bit confusing as so many are used to stuff and tabs in a certain way but no big deal, now they will actualy have to read the whole page LOL to find what they are looking for and then it should be a breaze.

Might want to try more contrast between words and background to make it a bit easier to read ?

Love it to pieces. Keep up the good work.
Darn it is enviromentally friendly using less screen power to display, could save you a few buck in electricity bills a year LOL. :D

Yeah come on guy's donate what you can. At least you know where this will end up right back on your desktop.
Remeber one junk food burger less this month or £5 or $5 can make a big difference money wise to the project if every one does this.
The burger bites back in 3 mins. Sabayon does not bite but brings you joy for a long time.
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby Inaeth » Wed Dec 10, 2008 14:05

Digit wrote:frankly from what i've seen of kde4, i'm apauled it's even considered... or was even created in the first place... maybe i'm just missing something really cool about it... but it looked to me from my experience like utter squanderous bloat abandon, and missing features that 3.5 has!

3.5er all the way. uncharacteristicly conservative of me.

I've been using KDE since 3.2. A lot of people got used to the features that KDE has in the 3.5.x incarnation, and forgot how long it took to get there. With the rewrite of the QT libraries, the new Plasma system, Phonon, the new back end servers, and everything else, it will be awhile before KDE4 is on feature parity with KDE3. Which, I think, is the reason why it should not be included as a default in Sabayon 4. Let those who want to experiment with it, and contribute to the project, install it from Entropy/Portage. I think stability and ease of use for the casual end-user is much more desirable than throwing buggy, unstable, and system resource hogging eye-candy at the user.
Inaeth
Baby Hen

Postby denijane » Wed Dec 10, 2008 17:00

I already wrote that on the site but I'll paste it here too.
I think you should make some kind of certificate for the people that donate. It's nice to show it off on your website, for example.
I know, I know, donation isn't supposed to be done out of vanity, but it may stimulate people to send you presents. Just a picture saying
"I donated to Sabayon Linux, Donation #n", that's all. Or/and a "Wall of Sabayon Lovers". But without numbers- obviously, it shouldn't be a competition. Just nicknames or something like that.
What do you think?
P.S. I know everyone can photoshop something like this, it's not the point. I just think it's cool to receive certificates :) Just something to reminds you that you donated-because now, you send the money trough paypal and that's all. No trace.

P.S.P.S. I didn't want to repeat myself with what I wrote on the site but again, great job guys! You are the best! :D
denijane
Growing Hen

Postby mythus » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:00

About the site:

It is looking great! Very nice design!

About the KDE discussion:

Um, 4.1.3 does not have everything that 3.5.10 has, and 3.5.10 does not have things that 4.1.3 have. I find the experience better in 4.1.3 than 3.5.10 but I suppose that is a preference thing.

I have been playing with 4.2beta, and already it is ten times superior to 4.1.3, and includes things that were missing in previous editions. Panel autohide, being able to have the traditional desktop with icon auto arrangement and such, printer applets for adding printers (though I still prefer the cups online tool), better at moving plasmaoids from pannel to desktop and vicevera... the list goes on. It really is IMO the version that for me makes the 3.5.10 argument worthless...

It is my own thoughts though I suppose, but wasn't Sabayon always passed off to be user friendly gentoo that was bleeding edge technology? 3.5.10 does not qualify for bleeding edge.

Change is a hard pill to swallow, and more people are resistant to change than those who welcome change. But change is the only constant, and without change cannot come improvement. Conservatism is only best applied to finances and sex.

But anyways, enough of my rant there. The good thing about it all is that there are distros that ship the latest bleeding edge kde for me to play with and enjoy. And after all KDE 4 will be in the repos. But I sure hope it will be the latest one and stay up to date. If it can't be 4.2 right away fine, just make it possible to have 4.2 as soon as possible instead of keeping it hidden for the next sabayon release or having us jump through gentoo block package hell for it.
mythus
Baby Hen

Next

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion