HowTO reguest: Sabayon hd install->full gentoo system?

Discussion in general that pertains to Sabayon Linux - Must Pertain to Sabayon Linux

Moderator: Moderators

HowTO reguest: Sabayon hd install->full gentoo system?

Postby blindluck48 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:06

I just finished installing Sabayon linux to my hard drive (one of my drives had errors which kept causing problems).

As it is, Sabayon works perfectly.... I read the tutorial screen that came up after logging in and did the emerge --rsyn (I think it was). I'm not really familiar with the workings of gentoo, It's the only distro that I haven't tried in the last 5 years - I mainly stick with Debian.

When I run Kuroo to see if i can get updates I get the following error:
Code: Select all
!!! Problems have been detected with your world file<br>!!! Please run emaint --check world<br><br> net-mail/base64 (is blocking sys-apps/coreutils-6.3)<br> kde-base/kde-env (is blocking kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.4-r2)

I then go to a terminal and run as root
emaint --check world
which tells me:
localhost mollyj # emaint --check world
Checking world for problems

'net-misc/bcm570x' is not installed

Finished

I check in Kuroo under net->misc for bcm570x but there's nothing there.

I'm kind of stuck on getting all the this figured out, and to boot, I'm not really familiar with the internal workings of Gentoo... So is there anyone out there that can help me turn Sabayon into a full fledge, fully featured install? Specifically, I'd like to have the ability to install whatever other software I want and be able to receive software updates!

Thanks!

PS, I'm using Sabayon Linux x86_64 3.0D mini edition.
blindluck48
Baby Hen

Postby blindluck48 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 21:42

Anyone?
blindluck48
Baby Hen

Postby cvill64 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 22:17

you can safely ignore that "error"
net-misc/bcm570x is not needed
cvill64
Sagely Hen

Postby arjay » Sun Oct 01, 2006 22:27

I'm not sure why that would be a problem as you're online with it, right? It's just an ethernet driver, which is important, but apparently working. You could try lspci and look for your ethernet driver. If you see it there, then:

In a terminal, enter
lsmod

Look for theBCM570x PCI ethernet adapter. If it's not there, I suppose you could:

modprobe bcm570x

Then lsmod again to see if it's loaded. Were you able to emerge --sync?
arjay
Simple Hen

Postby blindluck48 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:09

I just emerge --sync 'd successfully and then I emerge portage 'd fine also (I just did a fresh HD install actually).

Now can anyone help me find some documentation on the emerge system? I'm not really familiar with it and would like to learn more. It seems pretty powerful, does it also build dependencies? Can you specify flags to build from source or binaries?

I would really like to know more!

So what do I do now? What else do I need to turn this into a fully functional system where I'm able to do whatever I want?

btw: Kuroo is still giving me
!!! Problems have been detected with your world file<br>!!! Please run emaint --check world<br><br> kde-base/kde-env (is blocking kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.4-r2)<br> net-mail/base64 (is blocking sys-apps/coreutils-6.3)
blindluck48
Baby Hen

Postby mars » Mon Oct 02, 2006 14:22

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=1

will give an introduction to Portage, which is the system that listens to commands such as "emerge -vp --newuse world". Furthermore, you could try "man overlay" to see what interesting stuff hides there, and have a look in /usr/portage where all the ebuilds are. Package mask files are in /etc/portage.
mars
Growing Hen

Postby arjay » Mon Oct 02, 2006 23:06

blindluck48 wrote:I just emerge --sync 'd successfully and then I emerge portage 'd fine also (I just did a fresh HD install actually).
So what do I do now? What else do I need to turn this into a fully functional system where I'm able to do whatever I want?

What is it that you want to do? You have a fully functional system since you've installed, synched and updated your portage. Visit the Gentoo forums as was suggested. I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to do much more than you have already. Two very handy commands are:
glsa-check -f all
and,
dispatch-conf
Be very careful with this one and pay attention to what it's telling you it wants to do before you select "u" from the following menu. This should be used when you receive a message telling you to run etc-update which in my opinion is a little more unforgiving and provides less info than dispatch-conf. If in doubt, keep the old configuration until you can search the gentoo forums or ask someone. I wouldn't worry about upgrading world or system at all for now. If you start getting errors when you're trying to emerge a new application, put the error you're receiving in google and read the "recent" results. You should be good for some time as is. Portage is an excellent system, which deals nicely with dependencies, but there are dangers. In my opinion, it's important to learn the basics of gentoo and portage, so read everything you can, and google your error messages (be careful as some of the hits are very old and therefore misleading), then ask the experts here and in gentoo. Sabayon is a beautiful distro, the ease with which it installs can't be appreciated until you've installed Gentoo, even a Stage 3, manually. It's all good, but sabayon is 10x1000 times better!
This of course is just my opinion and although I've been a gentoo user for over 2 years now, I'm still very much a nubee (google knows me by name). But the two commands I gave you have worked for me and kept me out of trouble for some time now. G'luck !
arjay
Simple Hen

Postby MAGNET » Sun Oct 15, 2006 14:25

i am also getting
[blocks B ] net-mail/base64 (is blocking sys-apps/coreutils-6.3)
MAGNET
Simple Hen

Postby evm » Sun Oct 15, 2006 15:55

MAGNET wrote:i am also getting
[blocks B ] net-mail/base64 (is blocking sys-apps/coreutils-6.3)

i got that also, what i did is this

$emerge -Ca base64
evm
Growing Hen

Postby MAGNET » Sun Oct 15, 2006 16:22

i unmerged it, i will try to reinstall it later
MAGNET
Simple Hen

Return to Sabayon Linux General Discussion