Introduction

If you want to talk about your personal paperweight, you've found the right place!

Moderator: Moderators

Introduction

Postby valczir » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:12

Didn't see an introduction thread, and, in spite of the fact that this isn't exactly a social forum, I just wanted to post who I am and all that junk. Because, you know, I feel more comfortable posting suggestions after I've made an introduction.

So, my name's Sam, most people online call me Valczir 'cause that tends to be my online alter-ego. I have Asperger's Syndrome, which is a mild form of autism. In my case, this basically means that I have no social life (yep, never been on a date - I'm 23, by the way) and spend most of my time trying to become better than everyone else at everything. Due to my varied focus (which is directly in contradiction with the specifics of Asperger's), I never really manage to specialize in anything, but I've managed to get somewhere with computer support, science in general, writing, cooking, art, and programming. And my cat just ate a brown recluse, I'm pretty sure. Why that cat can't leave spiders alone is beyond me...

Anyway, I have been using gentoo for a good number of years and can't stand using a distro that doesn't allow me to install specific versions of programs. On the other hand, I also can never find enough time to really set up gentoo how I want it - specifically, I never end up getting mixing working, I stop short of getting the GUI set up in a way that I can actually avoid using the command line (if I want - which I don't, but that's beside the point), and I always manage to screw something up so that even if I did get all the packages I want installed, making an image of the OS would be pointless, because I have a huge mess to clean up (the latest was me making the mistake of trying to switch to paludis - portage is still much better, in my opinion).

So I am using sabayon to give me a working system. I'll be modifying and compiling a custom kernel, eventually, as well as cleaning up the packages I'll never use, but it seems to be easier to start ahead and track backward than to start at the beginning and move forward.

Oh, also, I love nature, especially insects and other scientifically interesting animals. I have a pet baby chameleon who I am willing to lose my job in order to keep alive (if he seems stressed or anything, I'm not going in to work until he looks better). I am a strong Christian, I only wear black clothes, my warhammer armies follow Grandfather Nurgle, and I can be a real prick about music because of how much time I spend listening to it (American bands are ... funny, at best (with a few exceptions)). I probably won't get into an argument about it, though - not on forums. There's no point.
valczir
Baby Hen

Re: Introduction

Postby wolfden » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:09

Welcome aboard Sam!

:santa:
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Introduction

Postby ModifiedReality » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:54

Hello sam, I am also a relatively new Sabayon user also, I used before and I am back on it.
ModifiedReality
Young Hen

Return to Off Topic