Opening (editing) files on Samba shares

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Opening (editing) files on Samba shares

Postby thenthenio » Sun Sep 28, 2008 21:13

Moving from WindowS to Linux envolves some changes in usual behavior.
One of these is the way I was used to access files on Windw$ (Samba) shares.
On Window$ I was used to browse the shared directory, find the file I wanted to edit (for example \\server\share\file.xls), double click on it and edit directly the shared file.
On Linux, now, I can browse che Window$ shares with Konqueror then double clicking the file in the example given the Openoffice splash appears for a while and then noting more happens. In some cases, if the file can be opened directly by Konqueror, I can access the file (usually not for rìediting), this is the case of PDF files, for example.
I think that if Konqueror does not handle the file type directly i passess the file name (nd path) to the associated application, but this does not work on Samba shares. I mean: oocalc smb://server/share/file.xls fails.
Actually I copy temporarily the file on the local disk, then edit it and then copy the modified file back in its original position.
As you can understand this is a three steps procedure in place of the monolithic action performed in Window$ and very often it's easy to forget the third step so resulting in an unupdeted file...
Is there a more straightforward way to do this in Linux?

Many thanks.
Mauro
thenthenio
Old Dear Hen

Re: Opening (editing) files on Samba shares

Postby xlnagla » Sun Sep 28, 2008 21:26

Indeed there is. look up cifs, or its deprecated cousin smbmout. It will allow you to treat a windows share as another mounted device, giving you direct read/write access, but (in the case of smbmount) only when working as root. Still, I greatly prefer it. And cifs may be better about permissions.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby thenthenio » Sun Sep 28, 2008 22:11

Did you mean to mount the shared directory on a local mountpoint using cifs FS type?
Isn't this the same as mounting it using smbfs FS type?

Cheers.
Mauro
thenthenio
Old Dear Hen

Postby xlnagla » Sun Sep 28, 2008 22:29

that is indeed what I meant, and not exactly - cifs replaces smbfs, but is not the same thing.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Return to Software in General