Video

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Video

Postby williams_bjw » Sun Sep 21, 2008 19:48

I have a Canon digital camera that records video to .avi format. But the only program that will play the video is avidemux editing. Not VLC, not noatun, not Mplayer ..etc. Anyway I was just wondering if I was missing something here, maybe a file or something I don't know. And I can't play .flv file formats either. I download videos off YouTube with Download Helper and it goes to .flv format, how can I play those? Thanks.
--Ben
williams_bjw
Baby Hen

Re: Video

Postby Thev00d00 » Sun Sep 21, 2008 22:51

Ffmpeg can play flvs, so smplayer, vlc etc should (and do on my install) work ootb.
Your camera probably records in raw format hence why only avidemux works but nothing else. If you can find the codec i may be able to help more
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Sun Sep 21, 2008 23:29

No need to use anything to download videos from YouTube: just look in the /tmp directory after the files have been buffered to your HDD (i.e. after the light-red bar has got to the end on the YouTube browser page) and you'll find a big file in that directory. Copy it wherever you want. For example:

Code: Select all
$ cd /tmp
$ ls -la
$ cp FlashlbYolv ~/Desktop/Minha_Menina.flv

The global USE flag win32codecs should be in /etc/make.conf in order to switch on support for decoding avi files in multimedia packages subsequently merged (compiled) that require that particular USE flag in order to support various codecs. But I expect that the win32codecs USE flag is already in the SL 3.5 /etc/make.conf file and that the Entropy binaries for the various multimedia applications have already been built with that USE flag in /etc/make.conf. I don't use Entropy, so you'll have to check.

I've just merged vlc-0.9.2 and it plays the AVI files I have on my HDD. I can also play them using smplayer-0.6.2. Note that AVI is just a wrapper for video and audio files encoded using various codecs. For example, if I hover my mouse pointer over one of my AVI files a pop-up box tells me that the video codec is XVID and the audio codec is MP3. See the Wikipedia article on AVI for more details. It could be that the AVI files you're trying to play have been encoded with other codecs.

EDIT: I've just tried to play Flash video files (flv) with the following media players on my PC, and they all can play the flv files: SMPlayer, Kaffeine, KMPlayer, Totem, MPlayer, VLC, xine.
Last edited by Fitzcarraldo on Mon Sep 22, 2008 0:04, edited 1 time in total.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Sun Sep 21, 2008 23:34

What version of Sabayon are you using? I find that totem plays the avi files from my camera (Nikon) and also plays flv files.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:45

Here's what I did to use ffmpeg to convert a Flash video to an AVI video (wrapping XVID and MP3):

1. First, I had to re-merge ffmpeg and enable the encode USE flag:
USE="encode" emerge -1v ffmpeg

2. Then I converted the Flash file Minha_Menina.flv I had downloaded from YouTube. I decided I wanted an AVI file using the XVID video codec and the MP3 audio codec:
ffmpeg -i ~/Desktop/Minha_Menina.flv -vcodec libxvid -acodec libmp3lame ~/Desktop/Minha_Menina.avi
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Mon Sep 22, 2008 15:01

This is just to give you a couple more examples of how to convert audio/video files using ffmpeg.

Example 1: Converting the file out.ogv (theora video codec and vorbis audio codec in an ogg container) to the file out.avi (theora video codec and vorbis audio codec in an avi container)

$ ffmpeg -i ~/Desktop/out.ogv -vcodec libtheora -acodec libvorbis ~/Desktop/out.avi 

(The file out.ogv was created by the excellent application recordMyDesktop.)

Example 2: Converting the file out.ogv (theora video codec and vorbis audio codec in an ogg container) to the file out.flv (Flash Video)

$ ffmpeg -i ~/Desktop/out.ogv ~/Desktop/out.flv

ffmpeg has a lot of options, so read the Man page for ffmpeg ($ man ffmpeg).
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby williams_bjw » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:02

Thanks all. I'll try and see what happens.
--Ben
williams_bjw
Baby Hen

Postby williams_bjw » Sun Sep 28, 2008 21:17

ffmpeg worked really well. But the only thing I have trouble with is when I want to change .flv to .3gp for my phone. Ffmpeg says something about .h263 or something and then goes on to say about height an codec diffences. I'll post code if need be. Thanks.
--Ben
williams_bjw
Baby Hen

Return to Software in General