System Snapshots Tool

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

System Snapshots Tool

Postby chickpea » Tue Sep 09, 2008 17:55

Ok, I have just done another oops on my system. :oops: :roll:. It happens now with much less frequency and now that I run flexbackup as a weekly chronjob the pain associated with these is minimal, but still there nonetheless.

I was wondering, although I am quite happy with my backup solution for now, I want to hear everyone's favorite system snapshot backup solutions. It would be so much easier if I could just copy over a full system image snapshot to my /dev/sda5 (root partition) and be done with it. Now I have to reinstall (or run recovery, but I think I will do just a full install (faster, easier, and I can change the partition format to xfs which I would like to try out) and then restore stuff off my backup, easy, but time consuming.

So give me your rsyncs, your rdiffbackups, your timemachines yearning to relieve me (of more headaches).
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Re: System Snapshots Tool

Postby sjieke » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:51

I take images using partimage (run from the liveDVD) of all my partitions on a regular basis. Recovery is very easy then, just using partimage again, not very time consuming as you can start it and leave your computer untill it is finished. A guide to partimage can be found on the wiki
sjieke
Technological Hen

Postby chickpea » Tue Sep 16, 2008 14:52

So really, doesn't partimage require that the root directory be unmounted? That means you can only run interactive backups. I am way too lazy for that :lol:

I need a tool I can throw in a cronjob. Thanks for the suggestion though.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby sjieke » Tue Sep 16, 2008 20:31

Indeed, the root needs to be unmounted. That's the reason I use it from a LiveDVD. But I am also interested in something with the same functionality but without the need to run it from a LiveDVD...
sjieke
Technological Hen

Return to Software in General