noatun fails to close and breaks system notifications

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

noatun fails to close and breaks system notifications

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Sep 09, 2008 23:54

I don't normally use noatun but it started automatically when I clicked on an avi file. The file played OK but when it came to shutting down noatun nothing happened. Eventually the window went by clicking quit on the task bar icon and I killed the taskbar icon with "killall noatun". However, system notifications stopped sounding and going to KDE control centre, sound and multimedia, sound system, "test sound" froze the control centre. Strangely enough, all other sound devices (amarok etc.) still worked and a reboot got my system notifications back. I can replicate the problem deliberately but have changed my associations so that avi files open with movie player. I have no idea where to look for error messages about this and a google on "noatun fails to close" got nothing relevant - can anyone help?

Edit: forgot to mention that shutdown after the noatun problem produces a sort of freeze. The desktop goes after quite a long wait but then there's just a black screen and I need to execute a ctrl, alt, backspace and then ctrl, alt, del. to get the system to close down. Presumably because I have a log off sound enabled.
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Re: noatun fails to close and breaks system notifications

Postby WarraWarra » Wed Sep 10, 2008 18:41

You can uninstall noatun or check maybe there is a fixed version that you can update to.

Sounds like missing dependancy or possibly missing codec , try to pretend a install or " emerge --pretend noatun " using correct names or just reinstall the same version and it should fix anythign broken or missing as I sometimes do LOL. :oops:
WarraWarra
Sagely Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 19:53

Thanks for the suggestions. First of all I tried a reinstall using entropy (my preferred package manager), rebooted and then found the same problem existed. So I tried an emerge -p noatun and got this:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] kde-base/noatun-3.5.9

!!! The following installed packages are masked:
- dev-util/cogito-0.18.2 (masked by: package.mask)
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
# Fernando J. Pereda <[email protected]> (07 Jun 2008)
# Using the git porcelain is recommended over cogito.
# gitweb is installed by the git ebuild

- app-crypt/gpgme-0.3.14-r2 (masked by: package.mask)
## Daniel Black <[email protected]> (31 Aug 2008)
## Masked for removal.
# old stuff suffering bit rot. old libs that nothing depends
# on.

- kde-base/kdesu-4.0.1 (masked by: package.mask)
# Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto <[email protected]> (03 Sep 2008)
# Restrict the following mask only to 4.0.* packages. KDE-4.1 won't enter
# the tree p. masked.
# Ingmar Vanhassel <[email protected]> (16 Jan 2008)
# Mask KDE 4.0.x for testing. This release of KDE 4 will not be unmasked.
# This is still not intended for mainstream so DO NOT KEYWORD IT without
# talking to the KDE herd first.
# KDE 4 guide: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/desktop/kde/kde4.xml

For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

I think I'll leave well alone and just make sure that noatun is not the default handler for any type of file :)

I also considered just uninstalling noatun but it takes a lot of stuff with it so I decided against taking that risk
Self-righteousness is a loud din raised to drown the voice of guilt within us - Eric Hoffer

Don't believe what it says on the right - I am anything but sagely; More oniony!
dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Postby mktyap » Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:34

dunsurfin wrote:I don't normally use noatun but it started automatically when I clicked on an avi file. The file played OK but when it came to shutting down noatun nothing happened. Eventually the window went by clicking quit on the task bar icon and I killed the taskbar icon with "killall noatun". However, system notifications stopped sounding and going to KDE control centre, sound and multimedia, sound system, "test sound" froze the control centre. Strangely enough, all other sound devices (amarok etc.) still worked and a reboot got my system notifications back. I can replicate the problem deliberately but have changed my associations so that avi files open with movie player. I have no idea where to look for error messages about this and a google on "noatun fails to close" got nothing relevant - can anyone help?

Edit: forgot to mention that shutdown after the noatun problem produces a sort of freeze. The desktop goes after quite a long wait but then there's just a black screen and I need to execute a ctrl, alt, backspace and then ctrl, alt, del. to get the system to close down. Presumably because I have a log off sound enabled.

Just to complete my post about broken noatun the last software updates (334 packages) cleaned up noatun and revdep-rebuild doesnt show it to be broken any more. However libmad, gstreamer and libpulse still remains broken in the dynamic link lists.
mktyap
Simple Hen

Postby dunsurfin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:43

The big KDE update failed to fix noatun for me - it just reset the associations and I had to remove noatun from the associations again :(

dunsurfin
Sagely Hen

Return to Software in General