zsh fun new toy

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

zsh fun new toy

Postby chickpea » Sat Sep 06, 2008 23:40

just installed zsh and made it my default shell, gotta say, I like it and I think that I am gonna keep it. :D The autocompletion is sooooo much better than bash :drool:
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Re: zsh fun new toy

Postby wolfden » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:05

wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby chickpea » Mon Sep 08, 2008 21:43

Sorry, not trying to be parsimonious with the link love.

For those who don't know zsh is an alternate shell. So instead of bash you would be using zsh as your command line interface. For most point and clickers, this will not make one lick of difference and you shouldn't rock the default boat.

For anyone who always has a terminal open (and who still likes the old boring emerge -vuND world) it has its definite merits. It is supposedly 100% "backwards" compatible with bash, although there have not been any real hard "compatibility tests" AFAIR.

I have experienced no issues in my short time using it. The autocompletions are it's cutting edge weapon of choice: but wait bash has autocompletion! Not like zsh it doesn't. Zsh will give you completion suggestions not only for directory trees, but also command options.

Say you forget what options are available for the command emerge. Instead of having to do emerge --help first to layout all the options, just type emerge -{TAB} and all the command options are displayed below the command. you can then continue typing your command. History has more features and it will even correct your smelling (oops spelling) mistakes. So if you type eemrge -av foo, zsh will know you meant emerge -av foo and will run that command. Again, for point and clickers no difference from bash cause you won't be using the CLI anyways. But for us fumbling nimrods that still love us some CLI it's awesome.

Not to mention all the nerd cred you will get for running a non-bash shell and all the hotties that will flock to your side when you mention that you run zsh, oh wait. Ok so maybe not that. But it is cool and useful in its own right.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby chickpea » Sun Sep 14, 2008 23:11

Because I love totally unsupported personal assertions, I would just like to say that zsh seems to me MUCH faster than bash. Especially emerging, the operations are just snappier. Again, I also switched to xfs so that may also be playing in to it, but I have noticed a difference.
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Postby chickpea » Mon Sep 15, 2008 21:41

I think I just uncovered a zsh incompatibility. Emerge commands work fine except when I want to specify a specific package atom so

Code: Select all
%emerge -av =media-tv/foo-1.2.1

I get

Code: Select all
zsh:  command not found media-tv/foo-1.2.1

Anyone else able to replicate? I am not sure if this is a portage bug or a zsh bug. (My guess is portage).
chickpea
Sagely Hen

Return to Software in General