Eclipse Issue [Solved]

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Eclipse Issue [Solved]

Postby dritter » Sun Aug 24, 2008 20:09

Hello!

I've had some troubles with eclipse crashing in Sabayon, with a SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x0625665c, pid=6763, tid=2689686416.
Current thread (0xa0894c00): JavaThread "CompilerThread0" daemon [_thread_in_native, id=6774, stack(0xa0496000,0xa0516000)]

The solution is described here: http://chris.straut.net/
By just adding "-XX:CompileCommand=exclude,org/eclipse/core/internal/dtree/DataTreeNode,forwardDeltaWith" to the eclipse.ini, the error is fixed.

Btw. is there any step-by-step tutorial on how to contribute an updated package for eclipse (3.4 Ganymede is already out), or any other program in sabayon?

Thanks very much,
dritter. :)
dritter
Baby Hen

Re: Eclipse Issue

Postby joost » Sun Aug 24, 2008 23:14

Can you be a little more specific here?

Eclipse 3.3 is in Entropy and works fine.
Eclipse 3.4 is in Entropy as well but somehow fails on me.
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby dritter » Mon Aug 25, 2008 14:01

Eclipse 3.4 is in Entropy as well

Oh. Ok. Didn't see that. :)

Can you be a little more specific here?

More specific on the error, or on my question how to contribute?

Well, eclipse writes an logfile, if it crashes (nomally named something like "hs_err_pid2345.log"). In this logfile you'll see the whole trace, why eclipse crashed. If this log contains something like 'Current thread (0xa0894c00): JavaThread "CompilerThread0" daemon [_thread_in_native, id=6774, stack(0xa0496000,0xa0516000)]', then it you can try to add "-XX:CompileCommand=exclude,org/eclipse/core/internal/dtree/DataTreeNode,forwardDeltaWith" to your eclipse.ini. The eclipse.ini lies in the installation directory of eclipse (in my case: /usr/lib/eclipse-3.3/). Just add that line and your done.

To be more specific on my request for an tutorial:
I would like to help out a bit, but found nowhere a good tutorial on how to e.g. update an existing package by modifying an ebuild, building the package and submitting the ebuild. Is that necessary, or is there any other way?

Thanks very much.
dritter
Baby Hen

Postby joost » Mon Aug 25, 2008 15:29

I can tell that i tried this "fix" on 3.4 but it didn't work.

I'll post my log file later. Must admit i have no clue how to fix it.

If you do:
Code: Select all
equo update && equo install dev-util/eclipse-sdk-3.4-r2

You should get the same version i'm trying (on x86 arch).

About the how to contribute thing. It would be handy to know if you can create/alter ebuilds to start with.

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/ha ... t=2&chap=1
joost
Sagely Hen

Postby dritter » Mon Aug 25, 2008 20:18

Now i managed to install Eclipse 3.4 from equo. 8)
But there are various things that i have done to get it to work. First was editing the eclipse.ini in /usr/lib/eclipse-3.4/. Mine looks now like:
Code: Select all
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
-framework
plugins/org.eclipse.osgi_3.4.0.v20080605-1900.jar
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
-Xms512m
-Xmx1g
-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-XX:CompileCommand=exclude,org/eclipse/core/internal/dtree/DataTreeNode,forwardDeltaWith
-showlocation

But changing that alone didn't bring eclipse up. So i searched for other reasons. I downloaded the eclipse-jee-ganymede-linux-gtk.tar.gz, unzipped it and was surprised. The eclipse-binary is way bigger than the one in /usr/lib/eclipse-3.4. Well, that might be, because of the JEE-Version i downloaded. Exchanging that didn't bring eclipse up either. It was the same with copying the configuration-directory. So the last thing i could do, was finding out the differences of the plugins and the features-dir. But there were so much differences that i decided to just copy the whole directories. Btw. there were several old eclipse-3.3 packages in the plugins-directory. Maybe that were these causing the problems.

So. Eclipse is now running, but only with changing almost everything. :/
dritter
Baby Hen

Re: Eclipse Issue [Solved]

Postby joost » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:44

Btw. there were several old eclipse-3.3 packages in the plugins-directory. Maybe that were these causing the problems.

In my homedir each version gets its own directory.
joost
Sagely Hen

Re: Eclipse Issue [Solved]

Postby dritter » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:29

joost wrote:In my homedir each version gets its own directory.

Yes, but in the directory where eclipse 3.4 resides are several plugins from eclipse 3.3. I'll later try to find out which of these are causing the problems.
dritter
Baby Hen

Return to Software in General