Do you know how to install the non-open source version of VB

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Do you know how to install the non-open source version of VB

Postby onederer » Fri Aug 22, 2008 18:25

Sabayon comes with the open source version of VirtualBox. However, this version doesn't support USB ports. Is there a closed-source version that is available from Sabayon? Or must I install that version by downloading it from Sun?
I need to have Linux and Windows running at the same time. Windows would be the "guest" OS in VirtualBox. The reason for that is that I have a telephone adapter that needs a USB port to run, and only in Windows. I use it for toll-free calls, and to send/receive toll-free FAX'es.

Well, what I did was to download the closed-source version of VirtualBox from Sun, and parked it in /tmp, for installation. When I ran the intalller, it didn't ask me where I want it to install VB, and it didn't check in /home/onederer/.virtualbox, to see if there was an instance of that application there. I was running as "root". The installer just went off and installed VB in /opt. That's when I started to get a pletora of error messages. One of which, it complained that it cant' create a kernel module. Frankly, I don't know how to understand nor cope with all those error messages, how to correct them, and to make the installation a good working version. Can anyone help me? I either need to install one from the resources of Sabayon (the non-open source version), or fix the Installation Log Error printout. Below, I'll post the Log output. Do you think that you can make tails or head out of it? Do you think that you can make it work? If you can do that, you're the one that I want to talk to! Here's the output:

SM-1 log # cat vbox*

VirtualBox 1.6.4 installer, built Tue Jul 29 21:29:27 CEST 2008.

Testing system setup...
System setup appears correct.

Removing previous installation of VirtualBox from /opt/VirtualBox

./routines.sh: line 270: /etc/init.d/vboxnet: No such file or directory
./routines.sh: line 270: /etc/init.d/vboxdrv: No such file or directory
Installing VirtualBox to /opt/VirtualBox-1.6.4

Output from the module build process (the Linux kernel build system) follows:

make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 -C /lib/modules/2.6.25-sabayon-r1/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-sabayon-r1'
test -e include/linux/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || ( \
echo; \
echo " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
echo " include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing."; \
echo " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it."; \
echo; \
/bin/false)
mkdir -p /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_versions/*

WARNING: Symbol version dump /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-sabayon-r1/Module.symvers
is missing; modules will have no dependencies and modversions.

make -f scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/vbox.0
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/linux/.SUPDrv-linux.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Os -fno-stack-protector -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.25-sabayon-r1/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DUSE_NEW_OS_INTERFACE_FOR_MM -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(SUPDrv_linux)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/linux/.tmp_SUPDrv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.c
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.SUPDRVShared.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Os -fno-stack-protector -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.25-sabayon-r1/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DUSE_NEW_OS_INTERFACE_FOR_MM -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(SUPDRVShared)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/.tmp_SUPDRVShared.o /tmp/vbox.0/SUPDRVShared.c
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/.alloc-r0drv.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Os -fno-stack-protector -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.25-sabayon-r1/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DUSE_NEW_OS_INTERFACE_FOR_MM -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(alloc_r0drv)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/.tmp_alloc-r0drv.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/alloc-r0drv.c
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/.initterm-r0drv.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Os -fno-stack-protector -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.25-sabayon-r1/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DUSE_NEW_OS_INTERFACE_FOR_MM -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(initterm_r0drv)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/.tmp_initterm-r0drv.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/initterm-r0drv.c
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.mp-r0drv-linux.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Os -fno-stack-protector -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.25-sabayon-r1/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DUSE_NEW_OS_INTERFACE_FOR_MM -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(mp_r0drv_linux)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.tmp_mp-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/mp-r0drv-linux.c
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.alloc-r0drv-linux.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Os -fno-stack-protector -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.25-sabayon-r1/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DUSE_NEW_OS_INTERFACE_FOR_MM -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(alloc_r0drv_linux)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.tmp_alloc-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/alloc-r0drv-linux.c
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.initterm-r0drv-linux.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Os -fno-stack-protector -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.25-sabayon-r1/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DUSE_NEW_OS_INTERFACE_FOR_MM -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(initterm_r0drv_linux)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.tmp_initterm-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/initterm-r0drv-linux.c
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.process-r0drv-linux.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Os -fno-stack-protector -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.25-sabayon-r1/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DUSE_NEW_OS_INTERFACE_FOR_MM -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(process_r0drv_linux)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.tmp_process-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/process-r0drv-linux.c
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.semevent-r0drv-linux.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Os -fno-stack-protector -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.25-sabayon-r1/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DUSE_NEW_OS_INTERFACE_FOR_MM -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(semevent_r0drv_linux)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.tmp_semevent-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/semevent-r0drv-linux.c
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.semeventmulti-r0drv-linux.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Os -fno-stack-protector -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.25-sabayon-r1/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DUSE_NEW_OS_INTERFACE_FOR_MM -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(semeventmulti_r0drv_linux)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.tmp_semeventmulti-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/semeventmulti-r0drv-linux.c
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.semfastmutex-r0drv-linux.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Os -fno-stack-protector -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.25-sabayon-r1/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DUSE_NEW_OS_INTERFACE_FOR_MM -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(semfastmutex_r0drv_linux)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.tmp_semfastmutex-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/semfastmutex-r0drv-linux.c
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.spinlock-r0drv-linux.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Os -fno-stack-protector -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.25-sabayon-r1/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DUSE_NEW_OS_INTERFACE_FOR_MM -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(spinlock_r0drv_linux)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.tmp_spinlock-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/spinlock-r0drv-linux.c
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.thread-r0drv-linux.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Os -fno-stack-protector -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.25-sabayon-r1/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DUSE_NEW_OS_INTERFACE_FOR_MM -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(thread_r0drv_linux)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.tmp_thread-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/thread-r0drv-linux.c
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/alloc/.heapsimple.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Os -fno-stack-protector -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.25-sabayon-r1/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DUSE_NEW_OS_INTERFACE_FOR_MM -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(heapsimple)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/alloc/.tmp_heapsimple.o /tmp/vbox.0/alloc/heapsimple.c
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/.memobj-r0drv.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Os -fno-stack-protector -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.25-sabayon-r1/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DUSE_NEW_OS_INTERFACE_FOR_MM -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(memobj_r0drv)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/.tmp_memobj-r0drv.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/memobj-r0drv.c
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.memobj-r0drv-linux.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Os -fno-stack-protector -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -I/lib/modules/2.6.25-sabayon-r1/build/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/ -I/tmp/vbox.0/include -I/tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DRT_OS_LINUX -DIN_RING0 -DIN_RT_R0 -DIN_SUP_R0 -DVBOX -DRT_WITH_VBOX -DCONFIG_VBOXDRV_AS_MISC -DRT_ARCH_AMD64 -DUSE_NEW_OS_INTERFACE_FOR_MM -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(memobj_r0drv_linux)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/.tmp_memobj-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.c
ld -m elf_x86_64 -r -o /tmp/vbox.0/vboxdrv.o /tmp/vbox.0/linux/SUPDrv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/SUPDRVShared.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/alloc-r0drv.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/initterm-r0drv.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/mp-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/alloc-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/initterm-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/process-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/semevent-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/semeventmulti-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/semfastmutex-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/spinlock-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/thread-r0drv-linux.o /tmp/vbox.0/alloc/heapsimple.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/memobj-r0drv.o /tmp/vbox.0/r0drv/linux/memobj-r0drv-linux.o
(cat /dev/null; echo kernel//tmp/vbox.0/vboxdrv.ko;) > /tmp/vbox.0/modules.order
Building modules, stage 2.
make -f /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-sabayon-r1/scripts/Makefile.modpost
scripts/mod/modpost -m -i /usr/src/linux-2.6.25-sabayon-r1/Module.symvers -I /tmp/vbox.0/Module.symvers -o /tmp/vbox.0/Module.symvers -S -w -s
gcc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/vbox.0/.vboxdrv.mod.o.d -nostdinc -isystem /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.2.3/include -D__KERNEL__ -Iinclude -include include/linux/autoconf.h -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Os -fno-stack-protector -m64 -mtune=generic -mno-red-zone -mcmodel=kernel -funit-at-a-time -maccumulate-outgoing-args -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv.mod)" -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(vboxdrv)" -DMODULE -c -o /tmp/vbox.0/vboxdrv.mod.o /tmp/vbox.0/vboxdrv.mod.c
ld -r -m elf_x86_64 --build-id -o /tmp/vbox.0/vboxdrv.ko /tmp/vbox.0/vboxdrv.o /tmp/vbox.0/vboxdrv.mod.o
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-sabayon-r1'
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: line 97: /sbin/functions.sh: No such file or directory

End of the output from the Linux kernel build system.
/etc/init.d/vboxnet: line 85: /sbin/functions.sh: No such file or directory
Installation successful
SM-1 log # /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: line 97: /sbin/functions.sh: No such file or directory

onederer
Simple Hen

Re: Do you know how to install the non-open source version of VB

Postby Thev00d00 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 21:07

easy as:

Code: Select all
equo install virtualbox-bin

:D
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby onederer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:08

v00d00 wrote:easy as:

Thank you for your reply. However I think that I need to clarify something. I do know how to get VB from the equo mode. However, the version that came with Sabayon, is the open-source version. It lacks support for USB ports. Unless the lead that you gave me will bring me the non-open source version, the information will not help me. I have to assume that whatever I download from the Sabayon sites, is the same thing that I have now. The non-open source version has support for USB ports. That's exactly what I need. Windows XP will be installed as a guest OS, and I'll be using my USB telephone adapter to get toll-free long distance phone calls. Unfortunately, the telephone adapter runs only in Windows. So I want Windows running at the same time as Linux, to get my FAX'es and telephone calls.

If I can't get it from Sabayon, I did get it from Sun. But it needs terribly some fixing, which I don't understand how to cope with for the necessary repairs, as you can see from my previous post.
onederer
Simple Hen

Postby wolfden » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:30

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO:_VirtualBox

it talks about the closed source

Binary distribution

The binary distribution provides the following additions to the OSE version:

* Direct access to USB devices from guest operating system
* Remote Desktop access to the virtual machine
* Direct access / raw access to a hard disk (partition) (NOTE: You may also use the binary edition to create VMDK files that point to hard disks and partitions, and subsequently these can be used with the OSE version)

Usage of binary distribution is limited to personal or evaluation usage.

emerge -av virtualbox-bin

so equo install virtualbox-bin should be closed source
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Thev00d00 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:10

onederer wrote:
v00d00 wrote:easy as:

Thank you for your reply. However I think that I need to clarify something. I do know how to get VB from the equo mode. However, the version that came with Sabayon, is the open-source version. It lacks support for USB ports. Unless the lead that you gave me will bring me the non-open source version....

Yes it will give you the closed source binary version
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby onederer » Sat Aug 23, 2008 19:38

It just isn't working! It didn't create the "kernel module", It asks about "unmasking" some functions. I tried the "emerge" way of doing things, and the equo mode. But this .bin version is just what I NEED!
How in the heck do I get and compile the "kernel module"? What about the "unmasking" demands that it is making? Why didn't the "kernel module" get produced while the installer was doing it's thing? It seems that I'm always hitting a wall when I try to accomplish something. Below, is a copy of the error message of the application itself. It won't run without the "kernel module". And I did execute the command that was requested in the error message.

VirtualBox kernel driver not installed. The vboxdrv kernel module was either not loaded or /dev/vboxdrv was not created for some reason. Re-setup the kernel module by executing '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup' as root.
VBox status code: -1908 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED).

Result Code:
0x80004005
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {d5a1cbda-f5d7-4824-9afe-d640c94c7dcf}

Thank you for sticking with me, I really appreciate it!

Cheers :)
onederer
Simple Hen

Postby sjieke » Sat Aug 23, 2008 19:54

Before you can run virtualbox you must load the vboxdrv driver using following command as root
modprobe vboxdrv
sjieke
Technological Hen

Postby onederer » Sun Aug 24, 2008 18:23

Hi, from all indications, I didn't think that it would work. But I did use the "modprobe" command that you suggested And then, I entered on console mode, "VirtualBox" and surprisingly, the VB Sun version came up. WinXP started ok, then I started MagicJack. Compared when trying to dial out just using Linux, the MagicJack only dialed out and died. It never caused the other side to ring. With MagicJack running in the guest WinXP, it did complete the dialing sequence, and caused the other end to ring. But no matter what I did, I can't fine the sound. I tried to use it with "ALS", and that didn't help. Then I tried it using "OSS" and still no joy. With the system sounds, and a headphone, I could barely hear something. Tweaking whatever I thought would do any good to get the sound going out on the MagicJack telephone, was a disaster. This also applied using the mike, and headphones. There is just no volume that puts out an audible sound, in Windows mode. I flipped the desktop to the Linux side, and checked out the sound there, and it's working fine. Got any ideas. My hopes of using this telephone adapter still hasn't materialized.

Cheers :)
onederer
Simple Hen

Postby sjieke » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:12

I don't have much experience using virtualbox, but I know you can install some package containting additions inside the guest to enhance the video driver and probably other drivers also. I'm sure you already did that, just asking it to make sure...
sjieke
Technological Hen

Return to Software in General