A couple of problems with Apache [Solved]

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

A couple of problems with Apache [Solved]

Postby theboomboomcars » Thu Aug 14, 2008 20:58

I am trying to use phpmyadmin, but when I got to localhost in FF i just get a list of folders, one of which is phpmyadmin, so I click on that and it shows me a list of files in it, html, php, txt, etc. If I click on a php file, it just shows me the contents of the file, and not the object the code defines. Any suggestions on what I need to do to get apache to serve php properly?

The second problem is that when I add something new to /var/www/localhost and restart apache the files that I added are not available through the web browser.

I am guessing these are configuration problems, but I am rather a novice at apache and have no idea, and can't seem to find anything, of what to do.

Thanks for the help.
theboomboomcars
Baby Hen

Re: A couple of problems with Apache

Postby wolfden » Thu Aug 14, 2008 23:33

have u looked at gentoo wiki?
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Apache_Modules_mod_php
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby theboomboomcars » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:44

wolfden wrote:have u looked at gentoo wiki?
http://gentoo-wiki.com/Apache_Modules_mod_php

Someone on linuxquestions.org gave me the link as well and I am running it now, my computer is somewhat slow so it seems to be taking some time to get done.

I think its funny that none of my searches brought that up, since it is completely relevant to part of my problem. If this fixes the PHP problem I just have to figure out why the things I put in the /var/www/localhost are not being served by appache.

Thanks for the link that is truly a great resource for my problem.
theboomboomcars
Baby Hen

Postby theboomboomcars » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:52

The gentoo link fixed the phpmyadmin problem, but I still have been able to get to the files I put in the /var/www/localhost directory.

I am at a loss on that one, I have done all that I know, which is just to put it in the file and chmod -R oa+x the restart apache.

Thanks for the help.
theboomboomcars
Baby Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:26

cause that is the wrong directory and you don't need chmod or restart anything
/var/www/localhost/htdocs

if you go to google.com and type in

gentoo apache php it's the second link, dunno how people can't use google with proper search terms.....
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby theboomboomcars » Fri Aug 15, 2008 15:20

Thanks for the help. I didn't realize that gentoo handled apache so differently than other linuxes that I should specify gentoo in my search. I was just using what I found in my searches and I didn't find anything about gentoo, even when I included sabayon in my search.

With the debian derivatives that I have used you just put the stuff in the localhost folder and then have to restart apache to use the new files. Now on to figuring out how to get suspend to work...
theboomboomcars
Baby Hen

Return to Software in General