Grub Problem

Discussions Regarding Software

Moderator: Moderators

Grub Problem

Postby Big_Dog1968 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 0:57

The grub created during the Sabayon install, did not include my other distros. It only recognized WinXP. I have several partitions with Mint and Kubuntu on them and Sabayon did not see them and I have no clue how to restore them. I tried to go in to the grub menu on my Kubuntu install, copy the menu.lst file to Sabyon's desktop, add the entry for Sabayon and then place that in the Sabayon grub folder (replacing the Sabayon created menu.lst). This did not work. When I choose the entries for the other installs, they fail to boot and I am returned to the grub menu. I could re-install one of the other distros which would restore min's grub, which I prefer anyway, but that seems alot of work. Is there a way to easily resort the Mint grub and add Sabayon to it, so I can run it when I want?
Big_Dog1968
Baby Hen

Re: Grub Problem

Postby wolfden » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:02

Grub is Grub

For Grub to work all you have to do it enter the correct information into the grub.conf file

look at the other distro's grub configurations and add them to /boot/grub/grub.conf

otherwise google SuperGrub Disk to boot other grubs or to restore grub.
wolfden
Sharecropper

Re: Grub Problem

Postby Big_Dog1968 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 19:51

wolfden wrote:Grub is Grub

For Grub to work all you have to do it enter the correct information into the grub.conf file

look at the other distro's grub configurations and add them to /boot/grub/grub.conf

otherwise google SuperGrub Disk to boot other grubs or to restore grub.

Thanks, I already had supergrub (hadn't used itbefore) and have used it to restore Mint's grub. Now I have to add Sabayon to the menu and hopefully everything will be cool.
Big_Dog1968
Baby Hen

Return to Software in General