Configuration Tool

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Would you like to have a general control center?

Yes, would be really great
81%
Maybe not so bad
11%
No, what for?... I love my f****** config files
8%

Total votes : 95

Re: Configuration Tool

Postby xlnagla » Sat Aug 02, 2008 16:05

Well I sure hope you get internet soon so you can join us Darksurf! I've got the perlscripts for drakconf all set, will be working on it later today.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby sjieke » Sat Aug 02, 2008 16:09

@xlnagla
As you are investigating the possibility to port drakconf feel free to post your findings on the mentioned wiki. I added a new proposal if we would start from scratch 8)
sjieke
Technological Hen

Postby LordBernhard » Sat Aug 02, 2008 16:27

hm.. the wiki doesn't work atm and so I can't add my comment to proposal 1.1 :-(

so I'll post it here:

Sounds good so far :-) one of the things coming to my mind that would be a problem is internationalization.. putting the translations into the xml file won't work as the xml file would get much too big and unreadable. Another thing is the layout of the GUI (with this Xml file we'd know what settings should be provided but not how they should be displayed).. we would basically have to write our own layouts in xml (vbox, hbox, grid, etc.)... other than that it looks pretty much promising on a first sight :-)

[edit]: hm.. works again.. crazy ^^ sry guys for an unneeded comment here
LordBernhard
Young Hen

Postby xlnagla » Sat Aug 02, 2008 23:06

we can just distribute different xml for each country - good 'ol USE flags determine locale, so that's no issue. Big things for now.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby Thev00d00 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:27

How is this coming along? any working code yet?
Please report Bugs on the Bugzilla, not forum
Please Adopt an Unanswered thread
Website / Blog : v00d00.net
twitter: Follow Me
G+: Circle Me
Thev00d00
Generally Awesome (tm)

Postby sjieke » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:35

We have it on sourceforge now: Sabayon Control Center
There is already some testing code in the branches folder, but not in trunk yet. There will be some code in trunk within a couple of days 8)
There is already a design document in trunk/doc. Of course this can (and probably will) change a bit in the future, but it is the frameworks desing of which we will start, so feel free to have a look :D
sjieke
Technological Hen

Postby Fitzcarraldo » Fri Aug 22, 2008 16:33

Sounds promising. But I notice you have written on SOURCEFORGE.NET that the intended audience is "Advanced end users". Shouldn't a configuration tool be targeted at beginners? After all, advanced end users are more likely to know which config files to edit and which options in Control Centre to select. A configuration tool is surely intended to help the end user who does not know where to look and needs their hand holding by a very simple-to-use configuration tool.
Fitzcarraldo
Sagely Hen

Postby sjieke » Fri Aug 22, 2008 18:29

You got a point there... :cheese:

Changed it to End User/Desktop
sjieke
Technological Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Aug 22, 2008 18:30

Sourceforge just updated their site to include that whole box within the past few days (week tops). We haven't really discussed what should be there. I would be willing to say that the configuration tool with be for regular end users as well as for advanced users. The app will be very modular, so it will be as easy to use as the plugins/modules made for it are (unless we have to change this design for some reason, which I doubt).

I'm guessing most plugins will have an advanced mode that will only be of use to advanced users.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby xlnagla » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:56

sorry guys, I've been on vacation in S.C. - stupid internet makes it so that my only browsing is done on my phone. I'll be back in a couple days and really join in.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions