Configuration Tool

Discuss all artwork and development - Suggestions needed

Moderator: Moderators

Would you like to have a general control center?

Yes, would be really great
81%
Maybe not so bad
11%
No, what for?... I love my f****** config files
8%

Total votes : 95

Re: Configuration Tool

Postby xlnagla » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:17

Just out of curiosity, the three of you who are on the wiki page so far, what languages do you know?

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby xlnagla » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:42

anybody have any idea where I can find perl_checker? i'm trying to get drakconf up on Sab, which looks to me a tad more promising than yast due to the language - it's written in perl, making it quite editable and extensible. Only problem is I'm drawing a blank on where to find the perl libraries - the mandriva ones left gentoo in 2005.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby Stupot » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:23

xlnagla wrote:Just out of curiosity, the three of you who are on the wiki page so far, what languages do you know?

~xlnagla

The languages I know well are C/C++.

Other languages I've written programs in are: C#, assembly, perl (only like 3 small programs), and scheme. And don't ever ask me to write a program in scheme again. I loathe scheme. I did a little GTK programming and also some OpenGL programming in C++ as well.
Stupot
Sagely Hen

Postby sjieke » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:41

xlnagla wrote:Just out of curiosity, the three of you who are on the wiki page so far, what languages do you know?

~xlnagla

Languages I know fluently are: java, C# (and SQL)

Languages I used in the past are: C/C++, assembly, ADA, python, Haskell and Prolog.

I don't think that the languages known is very important, because my opinion is that once you know one or two languages and have experience in programming, using a new language isn't that hard. You will only spent more time looking in API's and such because you don't know the libraries and syntax...
sjieke
Technological Hen

Postby LordBernhard » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:04

I know these languages: C/C++/Qt, C#, Java, SQL

the mcc is written in perl? hm.. didn't known.. I'll see if I can find the libs for you while I'm fighting with the yast2 ui ^^

[Edit]: funny.. look at our last post times.. 6:06, 8:08, 9:09 ^^

[Edit2]: I've found a src rpm for you: ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/Mandriva/devel/cooker/SRPMS/main/release/perl_checker-1.2.4-3mdv2009.0.src.rpm
LordBernhard
Young Hen

Postby xlnagla » Fri Aug 01, 2008 15:50

Sound like if we start from scratch we'll be in c++ then (which I too have a mastery of). Also, thanks LordBernhard - just so you know, look at all the post times ;)

And as for learning new languages isn't hard, have to say I'd agree. If we go with drakconf we'll stay in perl, and we'll see about yast. I've got C/C++, shell, perl, Java, Python, and some web stuff that's really not applicable.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby LordBernhard » Fri Aug 01, 2008 18:34

hm.. interesting ^^

so.. seems like we are 4 now? should I add you to the wiki page? (members of the team)
LordBernhard
Young Hen

Postby xlnagla » Fri Aug 01, 2008 19:22

Around release points for normal Sab I'll be a tad busy with testing-related stuff, but add me for sure.

~xlnagla
xlnagla
Sagely Hen

Postby wolfden » Fri Aug 01, 2008 23:35

Good Luck Config Tool Team!

The masses are anxious to see your results, so is it done yet? :wink:

:D
wolfden
Sharecropper

Postby Darksurf » Sat Aug 02, 2008 0:29

I've been watching this forum page for a while hoping it would develop into something. Thank God it did!
If I had constant access to highspeed internet, I'd join. I know a bit of C++ myself. ;) Definately not mastered, but I know enough
and Learn quick. If I get highspeed soon, I'll join in! I don't have any internet access where I live. No dialup,cable,DSL, no nothing.
Satellite is a bit too expensive, but I'm still considering it due to needing the internet. The only thing I can get in my area is $65 a month
plus a $300 installation and parts fee.

BTW like xlnagla, I am a Beta Tester so I'd be busy around those times too. I'll be checking in on this thread for updates ;)
Good Luck, I hope to see big results from this! This would be one of the biggest contributions to Sabayon since equo/entropy !
~ Y </0 5+Up1</ P30p[Ez +Ry 2 R34</ D1s? ~
Darksurf
Old Dear Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Artwork and Development Suggestions